[solved] Dropping frames when watching live TV (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It looks like I'm dropping frames while watching live TV not matter the video codec.
    I tried LAV, Microsoft and CyberLink codecs.
    Same effect when playing TS files.
    Playing MKV works just fine.
    Logs attached.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can see the dropped frames in the EVR log, but there's no obvious cause.

Does the same happen for recordings?
    What happens if you [temporarily] disable your DD Live encoding?
    Please attach a screenshot of the MP render stats (shift + 1) and task manager CPU usage.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Does the same happen for recordings?
    Indeed.

What happens if you [temporarily] disable your DD Live encoding?
    Not helping. Sound it totally ok too.

Please attach a screenshot of the MP render stats (shift + 1) and task manager CPU usage.
    It's the exclamation mark '!' which is some place else on AZERTY keyboards :)

upload_2015-12-21_0-9-8.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The screenshot makes it clear. TV content is 50 fps where you are. Your display is running at 23.97 fps, so [50 - 23.97 = 26.03] fps will have to be dropped. To solve, I guess you just need to enable automatic refresh rate changing so that the display runs at 50 fps.

[edit:
    proper content frame rate = 50 fps
    actual frame rate = 23.97 fps
    difference between actual and proper frame rates = 26.03 fps
    expected frame drop percentage = [difference between actual and proper frame rates] / [proper content frame rate] = 26.03 / 50 = 52.06%
    actual frames dropped = 1402 frames
    actual frames drawn = 1319 frames
    total frames = [actual frames dropped] + [actual frames drawn] = 2721 frames
    actual frame drop percentage = [actual frames dropped] / [total frames] = 1402 / 2721 = ~51.5%

51.5 is pretty close to the expected/predicted 52.06. ;)]

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Awesome that fixed it. Not sure when my display was set to 23Hz. Then again I've been quite busy playing with those drivers settings lately.
    upload_2015-12-21_0-57-51.png

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Never used that Dynamic Refresh Rate feature before. I suppose as long as the driver frequency is higher than the video I'm ok.
    Mine was set to 23Hz in the driver for some reason.
    upload_2015-12-21_1-12-21.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I suppose as long as the driver frequency is higher than the video I'm ok.
    Incorrect. To get smooth video, the display/monitor frame rate should exactly match (or be a multiple of) the content frame rate.

If the display/monitor frame rate is lower than the content frame rate then frames are dropped as you saw.
    If the display/monitor frame rate is higher than (and/or not a multiple of) the content frame rate then frames are repeated. People describe the effects in various ways including micro stutters, jerky panning etc.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok then I should try it out I guess. Does it put is back to 60Hz when exiting MP?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I assume so. I can't use it because my monitor only supports 60 Hz.

[edit: Actually, if I recall correctly, the frame rate goes back to 60 Hz when the video is stopped and the MP GUI becomes visible again.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread