DVB subtiles crash BBC HD (1 Viewer)

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I loaded the sample file on the ftp server as requested. It is called "BBC HD Crash.rar".
    While investigating this problem some more, I have become even more confused as now I had it momentarily working :mad:

Enabled DVB subtitles in MP Config had not been crashing on BBC HD, for me, until around 2/3 days ago. Now BBC HD crashes for me every time, all whilst using svn from 23rd January (2nd most recent release).

This brings me to another issue... how can enable/disable subtitles within MP? I don't want to have to go to the configurator every time :rolleyes:.

You can map a button to 'Next Subtitle', which is a much quicker way of turning on subtitles.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Unfortunately I was not able to reporduce the crash with the provided sample. Played nicely in MP with subtitles displayed correctly. Could you upload the Mediaportal.log + DVBsub.log. Maybe those show something...

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Tourettes,
    I thought as much.... I will experiment some further and get back to you. When I can reproduce rhe crash, I'll upload the logs here.

Thanks,

Peter

This brings me to another issue... how can enable/disable subtitles within MP? I don't want to have to go to the configurator every time :rolleyes:.

You can map a button to 'Next Subtitle', which is a much quicker way of turning on subtitles.

Hi Mortstar,
    Now I feel like a newbie :oops:... could you enlighten me a bit more on what you mean with mapping a button to "next subtitle"? How and where exactly do you configure this?
    Other question: I suppose this will let you skip through all subs in rhe TS-stream? And also switch them off?

Peter
    :D

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Tourettes,
    I thought as much.... I will experiment some further and get back to you. When I can reproduce rhe crash, I'll upload the logs here.

Hi Mortstar,
    Now I feel like a newbie :oops:... could you enlighten me a bit more on what you mean with mapping a button to "next subtitle"? How and where exactly do you configure this?
    Other question: I suppose this will let you skip through all subs in rhe TS-stream? And also switch them off?

Peter

I'm happy/confused to report that after tourettes said he couldn't reproduce the error I uninstalled and reinstalled TVServer and now BBC HD does not crash with DVB-subtitles enabled, if it reoccurs I will post logs too.

@Pletskop: Are you using a remote control or the keyboard to control MediaPortal?

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Mortstar,
    I'm using a Logitech Harmony 525 which has been defined as an MCE remote.
    Peter

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    MP Config -> Remote -> MCE Remote Mapping -> *Button of your choice - for me Yellow* -> All Layers -> Fullscreen -> Action = Action -> Choose "Next Subtitle" from drop-down box.

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    It is crashing again :)

Hi Tourettes,

I managed to get my Mediaportal to exhibit its normal behaviour once more :cool:

As requested, I'm sending you my MediaPortal.log at the time of the crash. The DVBsub.log was empty. Maybe this is a clue?

The circumstances on creating the crash were:
    1. Resume from S3
    2. Exit MP and start MPConfig
    3. In MPConfig, under Television/TVClient/Subtitle Settings
    • "eng" as preferred language
    • "Enable DVB Subtitles" checked
    • "Enable Teletext Subtitles" unchecked.
    4. Exit MPConfig and start MP
    5. Select "MyTV" [default channel is BBCHD and TV is set to "turned on" but not fullscreen.
    6. Within a couple of seconds, I get the crash. It is an external Vista message box telling me that MediaPortal has stopped functioning.

I then closed MP through the Vista message box and started MPConfig once more.
    In MPConfig, I changed the following under Television/TVClient/Subtitle Settings
    • "eng" as preferred language
    • "Enable DVB Subtitles" unchecked
    • "Enable Teletext Subtitles" unchecked.
    Subsequently, I fired up MP again and went to MyTV. BBC HD has been playing without fault for at least 15 mins now. No crash whatsoever.

I sincerely hope you can help me out here. My wife and I want to start watching Damages and Mad Men which I record from BBCHD but without subtitles it is a bit difficult for my wife to follow everything that's going on.

Regards,

Peter

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Unfortunately those logs don't show anything special or interesting related to the crash. Only way that I can think how to proceed is that you are able to provide a short .ts file that you can use to trigger the crash.

Pletskop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Tourettes,

Thanks for looking into this.
    However, I'm getting more and more confused.
    I did some tests today enabling and disabling the subs on BBCHD and now everything worked as it should. I even managed to toggle the subs using a button on the remote.
    Unfortunately, I was able to trigger an MP crash. Even more unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine the exact trigger for the crash. Only thing I'm sure off was that I was playing around with toggling the subs/audio language. So still some mystery here. The logs don't show anything special... it's like MP does something Vista doesn't like and simply gets killed...

In your last post you told me to send a sample of a TS that goed bad. I'm not ac tually sure it is the TS that is causing the crash but I guess it is MP itself which comes to some kind of exception and then halts.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot errors like this?

Regards,

Peter

The Doctor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, I'll try to get up a sample and logs up soon also, as I have (allthough very very very rare now) the same problems with BBC HD DVB subtitle.
    It makes MP crash within a second of watching BBC HD with subtitles. I reported this some time ago elsewhere on the forum and Tourettes solved the problem. But it seems not to be entirely stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom