DVBSky S952 - Any Comments? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What would be the reason for not supporting the diseqc functions on these two cards if it is working with TBS cards properly?
    There is/was no standard interface for DiSEqC support. That means we have to implement DiSEqC support for TBS, Hauppauge, Digital Devices, TechnoTrend etc. separately.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    What would be the reason for not supporting the diseqc functions on these two cards if it is working with TBS cards properly?
    There is/was no standard interface for DiSEqC support. That means we have to implement DiSEqC support for TBS, Hauppauge, Digital Devices, TechnoTrend etc. separately.

OK, thanks, now I understand. I thought diseqc is universal and no card/driver dependent.
    I'm trying to find someone who has a DVBSky card and uses a diseqc motor, even tried the German language forums, but up to now, nobody answered:(
    Could you please help me how could we check if this card is supported or not?
    If not suppotred, what is needed to add proper diseqc support for DVBSky card, which BTW are excellent cards, very reliable, quick channel change, excellent picture quality, no problems at all regarding resume, and excellent priced, based all this on other user's comments. Is it hard to add support?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Basically we need to find somebody who can attempt to use the card to control either a switch or a motor, then we check their log file.

Is it hard to add support?
    Probably not. The main issue would be that we're working on a replacement for our TV engine so we are not making many changes in the current engine anymore.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Basically we need to find somebody who can attempt to use the card to control either a switch or a motor, then we check their log file.

So many users with this DVBSky card, I just can't believe that nobody uses a diseqc switch or a motor. I'll try to ope a new thread, perhaps we will have more success. The TV Card section is not as frequently visited...
    If we find someone, he just need to try a multi-LNB setup with a diseqc switch, and if it is working, then a motor will work as well?

Is it hard to add support?
    Probably not. The main issue would be that we're working on a replacement for our TV engine so we are not making many changes in the current engine anymore.

If not supported, may I please ask you to add the support for this card? As I have mentioned already, it is a very reliable card with excellent performance and price, it certainly deserves to have full MP compatibility. It is so important to have a reliable TV Card.
    If you are about to add to the current 1.4.0 release, could it be in a form of a patch file or some replacement files that can be used for 1.4.0 release, and then include in the upcoming new versions?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If we find someone, he just need to try a multi-LNB setup with a diseqc switch, and if it is working, then a motor will work as well?
    If it works then it depends how it works. Some tuners only support DiSEqC 1.0 (4 port switches) and have no ability to send raw DiSEqC commands.

If not supported, may I please ask you to add the support for this card?
    Sure... but if we do it, it would probably be for the new TV engine.

As I have mentioned already, it is a very reliable card with excellent performance and price, it certainly deserves to have full MP compatibility. It is so important to have a reliable TV Card.
    I agree. It is just as important to have good code to enable us to add support for new features quickly and to avoid creating bugs.

If you are about to add to the current 1.4.0 release, could it be in a form of a patch file or some replacement files that can be used for 1.4.0 release, and then include in the upcoming new versions?
    I'm sorry, if DiSEqC does not already work then I can't provide any guarantee that we will do this. As I have found in the past, it is not just the 1.4 release that must be supported. We are always asked to support the next release, and the next release, and the next release (including alpha, beta, release candidate, final, x.x.1, x.x.2...) and that this a lot of work. We want to focus on the new TV engine where we can quickly add support, not on supplying patches for the current engine which may require nasty hacks.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    If it works then it depends how it works. Some tuners only support DiSEqC 1.0 (4 port switches) and have no ability to send raw DiSEqC commands.

If not supported, may I please ask you to add the support for this card?
    Sure... but if we do it, it would probably be for the new TV engine.

As I have mentioned already, it is a very reliable card with excellent performance and price, it certainly deserves to have full MP compatibility. It is so important to have a reliable TV Card.
    I agree. It is just as important to have good code to enable us to add support for new features quickly and to avoid creating bugs.

I'm sorry, if DiSEqC does not already work then I can't provide any guarantee that we will do this. As I have found in the past, it is not just the 1.4 release that must be supported. We are always asked to support the next release, and the next release, and the next release (including alpha, beta, release candidate, final, x.x.1, x.x.2...) and that this a lot of work. We want to focus on the new TV engine where we can quickly add support, not on supplying patches for the current engine which may require nasty hacks.

OK, I understand. Just a quick question: if the new TV engine is ready, it will be quick and easy to add support to new cards? Do you already know if it will be used for the 1.4.x or 1.5 or later versions of MP, and approximately when?

I made some comparisons, and based on the information available and on the actual photos of the the two cards, for me it looks that the DVBSky 952 and the Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky Xpress DUAL cards are 100% identical cards just under different names. If I'm correct, Mystique S2 card is fully supported by MP, does it mean that DVBSKy 952 is too? They use exactly the same chipsets, take a look at the layout of the two cards:

S952
    Mystique S2

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a quick question: if the new TV engine is ready, it will be quick and easy to add support to new cards?
    Yes. :)

Do you already know if it will be used for the 1.4.x or 1.5 or later versions of MP, and approximately when?
    No. I can't give you an estimate - I really have no idea.

I made some comparisons, and based on the information available and on the actual photos of the the two cards, for me it looks that the DVBSky 952 and the Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky Xpress DUAL cards are 100% identical cards just under different names. If I'm correct, Mystique S2 card is fully supported by MP, does it mean that DVBSKy 952 is too? They use exactly the same chipsets, take a look at the layout of the two cards...
    ...but we only support DiSEqC 1.0 (4 port switches) with the Mystique cards, so this is no good for you if you want motor support. ;)

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I made some comparisons, and based on the information available and on the actual photos of the the two cards, for me it looks that the DVBSky 952 and the Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky Xpress DUAL cards are 100% identical cards just under different names. If I'm correct, Mystique S2 card is fully supported by MP, does it mean that DVBSKy 952 is too? They use exactly the same chipsets, take a look at the layout of the two cards...

...but we only support DiSEqC 1.0 (4 port switches) with the Mystique cards, so this is no good for you if you want motor support. ;)

Well, many thanks, so good to know this! Can you recommend a card that is working with a motor and has no issues with MP, standby/resume problems, etc?
    Is the TBS6981 a good choice for this, or perhaps 6922, since I need only a single tuner (but I'm a little bit afraid of cards that do not have additional power connection since the power requirements of the motor).[/quote]

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, many thanks, so good to know this!
    This info is in our wiki. ;)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...r_System/01_Supported_TV_Cards#DVB-S(2)_Cards

Can you recommend a card that is working with a motor and has no issues with MP, standby/resume problems, etc?
    I have no experience using a motor and I don't use standby/resume, so I think I'm the wrong person to be making recommendations to you.

Is the TBS6981 a good choice for this, or perhaps 6922, since I need only a single tuner (but I'm a little bit afraid of cards that do not have additional power connection since the power requirements of the motor).
    As above: better to ask somebody with experience of what you need. :)

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Well, many thanks, so good to know this!
    This info is in our wiki. ;)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/11_Preparing_Your_System/01_Supported_TV_Cards#DVB-S(2)_Cards

Can you recommend a card that is working with a motor and has no issues with MP, standby/resume problems, etc?
    I have no experience using a motor and I don't use standby/resume, so I think I'm the wrong person to be making recommendations to you.

Is the TBS6981 a good choice for this, or perhaps 6922, since I need only a single tuner (but I'm a little bit afraid of cards that do not have additional power connection since the power requirements of the motor).
    As above: better to ask somebody with experience of what you need. :)

I just got a reply from a user that DiSEqC for TBS6981 is only supported using a patch for MP version 1.2.2. How can it be? According to the wiki, the TBS cards have full DiSEqC support under MP, I believe it is the case for the latest TV Server version too. Do I get this correct? If a card has official (wiki) support, than no patch or whatsoever is required?

EDIT: This post confirms that the new TBS drivers are not supported any more, that includes MP 1.4.0 and the latest drivers from TBS? Or I'm wrong on this?
    A solution might be to use the older driver (but which version?).

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/diseqc-problem-with-tbs-6984-dvb-s2-tuner.119064/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom