DVBSky S952 - Any Comments? (1 Viewer)

gurabli

Portal Pro
July 20, 2010
Home Country
Hungary Hungary
<off topic> @gurabli has your card arrived yet?</off topic>
[off topic]no, and it will probably arrive around mid August:( And to get things worse, I'm having real difficulties with mounting the dish with rotor on the top of the building, as it requires an approval, and the person in charge is on holiday, so at the moment, I do not have the dish mounted. I think the card will arrive sooner then the dish will be mounted, but I will be able to test the card in my brother's PC, but he uses only a single LNB setup. I will inform you here in this topic when the card has arrived and the dish is mounted on the building:)[/off topic]

CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Portal Member
March 7, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
A quick update...

I'm not really sure what was causing the heat, though I suspect my GT430 was blowing heat directly at the tuner card. I've shuffled the tuner along by one slot and put my audio card in the slot between the gfx card and tuner, and so far it seems better. To the touch however it's still by far the warmest component in the machine and yes, it's coming from the tuners themselves. Time will tell if it lasts, though it still seems odd that it's running coolest in the only place in the case where air flow is controlled purely by convection. There's plenty of vents directly above.

I tried enabling diseqc even though I'm not geared up to use it and lots of options appeared, namely another tab with motor controls etc, all of which it let me select, nothing was disabled. Hope this helps.

I've noticed that the initial tuning is about the same speed as the TBS, however subsequent tuning (i.e. if I exit MePo for a while, then launch and watch TV again) it's lightning fast.

gurabli

Portal Pro
July 20, 2010
Home Country
Hungary Hungary
A quick update...

I'm not really sure what was causing the heat, though I suspect my GT430 was blowing heat directly at the tuner card. I've shuffled the tuner along by one slot and put my audio card in the slot between the gfx card and tuner, and so far it seems better. To the touch however it's still by far the warmest component in the machine and yes, it's coming from the tuners themselves. Time will tell if it lasts, though it still seems odd that it's running coolest in the only place in the case where air flow is controlled purely by convection. There's plenty of vents directly above.
I've noticed that the initial tuning is about the same speed as the TBS, however subsequent tuning (i.e. if I exit MePo for a while, then launch and watch TV again) it's lightning fast.

Thanks for the new update! It does looks promising. However, it might be that there is still some kind of problem with your setup, as others report very low heat for this card. Who knows.

I tried enabling diseqc even though I'm not geared up to use it and lots of options appeared, namely another tab with motor controls etc, all of which it let me select, nothing was disabled. Hope this helps.

Thanks for checking this.
@mm: do you think that if options are available for rotor control that the rotor itself will work without need for any patching? Or we can see this only when somebody actually tries to control the rotor?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    do you think that if options are available for rotor control that the rotor itself will work without need for any patching? Or we can see this only when somebody actually tries to control the rotor?
    Only when somebody actually tries to control the rotor.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    do you think that if options are available for rotor control that the rotor itself will work without need for any patching? Or we can see this only when somebody actually tries to control the rotor?
    Only when somebody actually tries to control the rotor.

OK, then we are still in the dark with this:)

I'm having real difficulties with the license for mounting the dish on the top of the building, so still not able to do tests :(

CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Portal Member
    March 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Further update... I left the card disconnected from the dish last night, when I moved the HTPC away from the TV to do some work on it. I found that even without running MePo, whilst doing just normal desktop tasks, the card was still by far the warmest component in the machine. Everything else is flat cold to the touch, except the GPU heatsink but this is still cooler than the tuner.

Don't get me wrong it isn't hot as such, and there's no fan driven airflow around it but there's vents all over to allow the heat to escape via convection, but the heat can be felt down the cable.

Something isn't right... I understand I have version 2 of the card, which boasts 'Lastest Montage M88DS3103 DVB-S2 demodulator'.

Do your seemingly cooler cards have this?

The card does seem better than the TBS though so far. Other than me worrying about the temperature it's flawless.

Last edited:

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Something isn't right... I understand I have version 2 of the card, which boasts 'Lastest Montage M88DS3103 DVB-S2 demodulator'.

Do your seemingly cooler cards have this?

Yep exactly the same so not sure whats going on :confused:

CAPTAIN_CESSNA

Portal Member
    March 7, 2012
    Home Country
    I've given up worrying about it... It's working a treat, so I'll just wait til it fails. When it does I'll probably swap the PSU and mobo for good measure as well as replace it.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi mm!

I'm still having great problems with getting green light for mounting the dish on the top of the building, but looks promising.
    Since most probably I will need only a single tuner, I might go with the single tuner version, the S950, which is exactly the same as the dual tuner version, just with one tuner integrated.

I'm thinking of the best setup possible, and I cam across the idea that I might mount two dishes, one fixed and one with a rotor, both connected to the single tuner using a diseqc 2/1 switch. Do you think it would be possible?

Port A of the switch would be on a fixed dish, and port B of the switch would be connected to the second dish with a rotor. This would enable me quick channel switching and access on the most preferred satellite, but still leave me with the option to watch all the other sats using the second dish.
    This is possible using Dreambox or Amiko STB's, but I do not know if it is possible in MP? What do you think, is it complicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom