DVD TV Series? (1 Viewer)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Changed DGDecode to output the AC3, and that has helped as thats less than a third of the files size of the .wav.

played about with just using DirectShowSource and the plain VOB files, but VirtualDub crashes whenever I try to load the avs, something may well be screwy with my directshow filters. I'll play around with this a little more.

Thanks for the pointers though Clean :)

xuxo

Portal Member
    February 6, 2008
    Forgot about this thread but this parsing expression Regxp works perfectly

(?<series>[^\\$]*)\\Season (?<season>[0-9]{1,2})\\Episode (?<episode>[0-9]{1,2})(?:-(?<episode2>[0-9]{1,2}))?.*\\VIDEO_TS\\VIDEO_TS.IFO

File Structure is

TV Series\Season\Episode\Video_ts
    TV Series\Season\Episode\audio_ts

Obvisouly you need to rip your DVD's with something like DVD Shrink to split the episodes up.

Hi I will try to do the same what bulla suggested for my rips. I have riped some dvds already with the default preferences of dvd decrypt.

But my special case are my Freinds TV serie:

Unfortunately the the DVDs in the Friends Superbox, have splitted episodes through 2 VOBs files. I mean 10 minutes of the one episode can be stored in one file and the rest the episode is stored in another file :mad:

So I will need to merge or something like that or i should do a index...I dont know. :(

Does anybody know how to manage that problem?

Clean

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Try IFO Mode in DVD Decrypt and play around with that. Typically I use SmartRipper 2.4 for ripping individual "problem" episodes.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am reviving this thread because I got some TV series on DVD I wanted to rip. I would like to go the way that Inker suggested on the first page:

Heres an idea, although it requires a seperate program to work.

Install AviSynth and create a correctly named .avs file for every episode that is in the vobs. You can use this even if multiple episodes are in one vob file. Then just add .avs to the list of video extensions.

Heres the theory. AviSynth is a frame serving application. Basically you give it a source (or several) and can perform operations on it, such as cutting (this is why you can virtually cut out episodes from one vob file). The resulting .avs file (just a text file) is playable from any directshow player (such as MP). So you don't parse and play the vob files directly, but the .avs files which then go to the vob and hand the video/audio stream to MP.

A simple script would look like so ("D:\My Series on Vobs - 1x01 - Pilot.avs"):
    Code:
    DirectshowSource("d:\vobWithManyEps.vob")
    SelectRange(0,5000) // first ep in vob is in first 50000 frames

Note: I haven't tried this but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Main reason is I like to have a backup of my DVD's. If this could work I would have a backup of the DVD's, and still get individual episodes from within My TVseries.

I have tried the above but it does not work. Heres what I've done so far:

-Got an .avs file that can serve an .avi file (divx)
    This file plays in both zoomplayer and Windows Media Player (not in VLC though).
    -Got an .avs that should serve a .vob file (DVD rip)
    This file does not play video. I have the audio playing (both zoomplayer and Windows MediaPlayer), but without the video.

This is all on my Windows Vista Laptop (all updates). I tried adding .avs to MediaPortal fileextensions on my HTPC, but it won't play. Come to think about it, I might not have installed Avisynth on the HTPC. I will try that tomorrow.
    Problem still is, I should be able to play the .avs with the .vob in Media Player, right?

The script I have in .avs is:
    Code:
    DirectshowSource("\\SERVER-PC\Recordings and torrents\Movies\DVD-rips\Minority Report(2002)\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB")

Clean

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    If the DivX .avs plays fine then you probably do have AviSynth installed. Check your directshow filters and make sure you have a filter for MPEG2. Use a proggie like Graphedit to make sure the filters are loading properly. Audio but no video is probably a filter problem. You can also try running Filmerit to make sure your filters are not broken.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So, I've gotten a bit further. I installed avisynth on my HTPC. Now the .avs with the vobs plays fine. Seems the no video problem was a problem on my laptop.
    My next problem is that I want to trim the avs file so that each .avs contains one episode. I found the frames. If I use the frames to trin the divx movie from earlier, the movie is trimmed to 1 hour 10minutes - the same length as the first tvserie episode - so the frame numbers seem fine.
    If I use these numbers to trim the .vov file, I only get a video that is ten seconds long. If I try to skip ahead in it (using backwards/forward) on my mce remote, I can skip to other parts of the original file, but the audio gets out of synch.

If i play the .avs without trimming, it plays fine.
    Any ideas?

Clean

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    I had the same problem using direcshowsource and VOBs. It had a problem with timing. Even some XviD files had trouble when I used AVS to do some color corrections. The best method would be to rip each episode to its own directory. If that won't work, and keeping the DVD structure is paramount, then try the suggestion in this post. Using mpeg2source seems to be okay when skipping fwd and bkwd. Probably because you do not need to trim them as that is done when you set the begin and end in DGDecode. Granted you will use more storage space because you need to rip the audio out but AC3 files are not that big.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Using your link I just gets directed to this topic, not a specific post. But you say I would have to "Rip the audio out", so this sounds to me like I would not have just the excactDVD-rip but the audio is stored somewhere else?
    The goal was to keep the actual file an escact Rip (so I could later burn to DVD, watch the menus or whatever) an just add files to TVseries that would tell which part of the rip should be played.
    If this is not possible, I might as well just rip each episode to different folders - maybe my first solution is just too much hazzle for this task.
    I'm gonna wait a bit to see if someone can come up with a working solution.

THanks for your help.

Clean

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    It does sound pretty destructive but it actually only copies the audio track from the VOB file into a separate file (preferably AC3 for size purposes). The link was to the specific post in this thread that reviwed how to do this. You can keep the DVD structure as is on your HDD, use DGDecode to create a .d2v file trimmed to the correct begin/end of each episode and create the audio file. You will basically wind up with the DVD on your HDD as is and three more files for each episode. One is the .d2v file which will be the mpeg2source reference file, another is the AC3 audio file and the last is the avs script file that the plugin will run. Try it on one episode and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom