Dynamic Refresh Rate not working (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Does it comes about admin right ?
    I can do it on both win8 but with Nvidia card.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sure 90% sure I had this problem with Win8 and if I did, it was definitely
    AMD / HD4670 / Win8 64bit / Logged on as Adminstrator

PS. Why do we have 25hz listed twice in DRR default setup?
    PAL - 25 - 50
    TV - 25 -50

We should remove the TV setting, because
    1. it's a duplicate so doesn't make any sense
    2. not all TV is 25fps

Also Can we change
    PAL - 25 - 50
    PALHD - 50 - 50
    to
    PAL - 25,50 - 50

Because
    1. No user is unlikely to want different display hz for 25 and 50 fps, then will use same hz for both.
    2. I'm pretty sure there is no PALHD
    3. If you compress into one entry we don't have to have scroll bars.

Ditto for NTSC

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) NTSC+ATSC = 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60fps.

So rule should be
    NTSC - 29.97, 59.4 - 59
    NTSC - 30 , 60 - 60

or NTSC 1/NTSC 2... although it maybe that most of ATSC broadcast is 30/60fps (I'm not american)

Last edited:

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Does it comes about admin right ?

It's a dedicated htpc with a single user (member of the administrators group) added and uac disabled. Fully updated w8 enterprise 32 bit with catalyst 13.4 (I see there's a 13.6 beta available but I haven't tried it).

Even though it's more of a workaround than a solution I'll try with the external scripts later.

//W

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Attachments

• DRR1.jpg
      DRR1.jpg
      88.4 KB
    • DRR2.jpg
      DRR2.jpg
      35.7 KB
    • drr3.jpg
      drr3.jpg
      44.3 KB
    Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    PS. Why do we have 25hz listed twice in DRR default setup?
    PAL - 25 - 50
    TV - 25 -50

We should remove the TV setting, because
    1. it's a duplicate so doesn't make any sense
    2. not all TV is 25fps

Not possible, because the TV section is hard-coded on C# side. It's not in the code as default value, but gets added automatically and is used for switching to the correct refresh rate when using RTSP for LiveTV. This is the only refresh rate setting you can't remove.

Also I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) NTSC+ATSC = 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60fps.
    NTSC doesn't do 30 or 60Hz since color was added:
    The NTSC field refresh frequency in the black-and-white system originally exactly matched the nominal 60 Hz frequency of alternating current power used in the United States. Matching the field refresh rate to the power source avoided intermodulation (also called beating), which produces rolling bars on the screen. When color was added to the system, the refresh frequency was shifted slightly downward to 59.94 Hz to eliminate stationary dot patterns in the difference frequency between the sound and color carriers, as explained below in "Color encoding". Synchronization of the refresh rate to the power incidentally helped kinescope cameras record early live television broadcasts, as it was very simple to synchronize a film camera to capture one frame of video on each film frame by using the alternating current frequency to set the speed of the synchronous AC motor-drive camera. By the time the frame rate changed to 29.97 Hz for color, it was nearly as easy to trigger the camera shutter from the video signal itself.

And i'm a bit lost with all the cosmetic changes in this thread. What has that to do with the issue reported?

And as a final note, DRR is working perfect on both of my Win 8 machines.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    NTSC doesn't do 30 or 60Hz since color was added:

ATSC standards are a set of standards developed by the Advanced Television Systems Committee for digital television transmission over terrestrial, cable, and satellite networks. The ATSC standards were developed in the early 1990s

ATSC came out in 1990s well after colour was added. So I still don't know why ATSC is listed as 30/60 and NTSC is lsited as 29.97/59.4[DOUBLEPOST=1371983740][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Not possible, because the TV section is hard-coded on C# side. It's not in the code as default value, but gets added automatically and is used for switching to the correct refresh rate when using RTSP for LiveTV. This is the only refresh rate setting you can't remove.

So in that case the fps field should be left blank and not editable, because it doesn't do or mean anything.

And i'm a bit lost with all the cosmetic changes in this thread

Setup is unnecessarily complicated with redundant options

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ATSC came out in 1990s well after colour was added. So I still don't know why ATSC is listed as 30/60 and NTSC is lsited as 29.97/59.4

Like i said: NTSC does 29.97 & 59.4, ATSC also broadcasts @ 30 & 60FPS, so those are different refresh rates.
    NTSC needs 59Hz were ATSC needs a 60Hz setting.

I've been working on these refresh rates for a longer time. Most info is listed in the Stuttering Playback Wiki.
    If you want to know more about the differences, you should have a word with @Lyfesaver74 since i've had numerous talks with him about this. He even informed with a buddy of him that works @ a broadcaster.

And i really don't see why the setup is complicated. All default refresh rates will work with current setup, and even if we have a double in there, it can't hurt.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I was under the impression that ATSC was a set of standards and those standards included 23.97/25/30/50/59.4/60 fps rates. NTSC is also a standard with many variations some of which include 23.97/30/59.4/60. This is why I was confused with the naming systems. Also PAL HD is not a refresh rate. It's very strange.

Anyways I have no trouble understanding it, however I do think it is un-necessarily complicated. I just don't get why stuff is doubled up, in makes no sense, so much of mediaportal configuration is really poorly designed, but any suggestions to change it get met with so much resistance. Yes I've gone off topic with that 1 post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom