Tools and other software EPG-Buddy a new EPG Tool with easy usage. (4 Viewers)

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    @Lehmden
    What is the search / compare / matching that EPG-Buddy uses?
    With all the installs, updates, trials I have done, I have yet to get the NTSC OTA channels to auto map with the channels in TV Setup.
    While helping twinlove69 it became apparent that the software is having issues when trying to match TV Guide info with TV Setup channels.

As you know, I would be willing to try just about anything to help resolve this...
    thanks

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    What is the search / compare / matching that EPG-Buddy uses?
    There is absolutely no search / compare / matching of channels in EPG-Buddy at all. Nothing, nada, niente, zero.
    The channel matching solely is done inside the xmltv plugin. The only thing EPG-Buddy does is to modify the channel names in the data, TVGuide.com (or any other data source) delivers so it is as close as possible to the names stored in the TV engine database (where the channel names are stored exactly as broadcast by your TV provider).

This can be done by selecting a channel name as read from TV engine database (database mode) or do it manual by typing the channel name into the input field (manual mode). That's all that can be done outside the xmltv plugin. The rest only is a thing of the xmltv plugin from TV engine... If something is not as it should this is a bug in the xmltv plugin or (more common) a user mistake while configuring the xmltv plugin...

The only matching EPG-Buddy does is to match the program data with TVDB to get season and episodes numbers.

You don't need to tell EPG-Buddy to modify the names at all (simply don't configure the channels in data tab at all) then the EPG data will be send to the xmltv plugin exactly as delivered by TVGuide.com. Everything you do inside EPG-Buddy's main GUI only is for easier match in xmltv plugin and for better EPG data by adding series information from TVDB...

I know in the US channel names are weird and often have nothing to do with the aired program at all. But as told many, many times already, xmltv plugin can not use channel numbers. In most parts of the world, channel names are used to identify a channel and for this in many countries no channel numbers are aired at all... Here in Germany all channels, really all channels have channel number 10.000... Not very useful to identify a channel, imho.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    A new Version V 0.4.2.7 can be found in our Repo. It's a bugfix release that now capture and log "403" errors during EPG grabbing.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the updated version.
    Is there a cleanup for cache directories?
    C:\Program Files (x86)\EPG-Buddy\EPG-Grabber.Cache is over 100M, over 1000 files, and they date back to 12/18/2017

upload_2018-1-26_8-9-57.png

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Is there a cleanup for cache directories?
    The files in the cache are downloaded metadata from TVDB. As long as nothing is changed on TVDB those files stay untouched. The oldest files I have in cache are from 2016... So the file date is not the same as download date, it's the date when the content last time changed on TVDB. As you never know when the next airing of a series occurs you better leave them as they are.

There is no harm in removing them excerpt for slowing down the EPG grabbing (a lot, depends oh how much you've cleaned up). EPG-Buddy downloads them again, if they are missing and next time needed. If you need to remove them, feel free to do so. As this only is a "very short time" solution I can not recommend to do it... There won't be an "official" option to clean up the cache as in General it would be pretty useless.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    merging 2 xmls guides into 1
    This is currently not supported in EPG-Buddy. It is much more complicated than it may look like and we are short on dev power and time. AFAIK every TV solution that fully supports XMLTV also supports the usage of multiple xml files. So there is no real need to spend the time adding this up to now. This feature may be added in future, depending on the time we find for working on EPG-Buddy.

Right now Plex don't support XMLTV for their own DVR Solution. They even don't support any type of EPG at all for it. You only can see current and next program. If you want a full blown EPG you need to use a 3rd party TV solution. And then you need to follow the guide for the solution you choose.

bolagnaise

April 18, 2014
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi.

This is currently not supported in EPG-Buddy. It is much more complicated than it may look like and we are short on dev power and time. AFAIK every TV solution that fully supports XMLTV also supports the usage of multiple xml files. So there is no real need to spend the time adding this up to now. This feature may be added in future, depending on the time we find for working on EPG-Buddy.

Right now Plex don't support XMLTV for their own DVR Solution. They even don't support any type of EPG at all for it. You only can see current and next program. If you want a full blown EPG you need to use a 3rd party TV solution. And then you need to follow the guide for the solution you choose.

I used XMLTVGUI, it supports XML merging and was able to do it.

mikhoul

February 1, 2018
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,

I'm new and I tried the latest 0.4.2.7 version and tried to generate the WebGrab++.config.xml and the config file is generated when I click on the START button.

But No channel are added inside the file, when I "tick" the grab option like here:
    C16V238.png

As soon I move to another channel and come back the channel is not ticked.

Even if I stay on the page with the channel "ticked" and click on START to generate a WebGrab++.config.xml with the channel inside it generate the
    config file but without the channel.

Could you tell me if I do something wrong ?

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom