EPG for USA (1 Viewer)

7echno7im

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Midwest
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am looking for a simple way to update and download the EPG info for Midwest USA. I have tried the sourceforge tv_grab xmltv method, but everytime i do it says that there is a bad xml from DD. in anycase, I am looking for the best solution. I think that this is wonderful and I switch from MS MCE2005 and I loving everyminue of it. I love the customizations, the settings are to die for. i just wish the EPG and channel listing part was al ittle more automated. PLease help. ty so much in advance for reading and posting.

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
Well I'm just starting to look at MediaPortal as an alternative to MCE 2005 (like most people), and I'm getting the bad feeling that MP isn't really for people in the US, and is primarily for people outside the US where MCE may not be as well supported? :

Problem #1: Mapping channels... I go to map channels in MP Setup, I do a lookup for the US, then it only lists 7 cities in the US?! Within MP Setup, there's a nice 'Import from TV Guide' button, but I can't find any good information on how to get this working.

So than I do a bunch of reading and it looks like WebEPG is really the only available option... run that... and it only maps channels for 'Central' and 'Eastern' US... I guess 'Western' US fell off the map... :)

I've got 75 channels to map, and not looking forward to doing it manually... and also not clear how effectively the guides will be updated.

As a help to US users... you may want to check out the plug-in

Zap2ItGuide Remapper.
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/EPGorTV/orderby,2/page,2/

and read this Sticky :)

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=4636

But I'm really unclear how many people in the US may be using MP to watch TV...

The MCE 'enter your ZIP code', and 'select your cable provider'... and everything else works is pretty nice... and unfortunately after an hour of try to get this working... I'll need to take a break from MP for awhile until I get the feeling there's some significant US usage here. :)

Good luck! I have great promise for MP for the future... maybe v.3 with the new TV Engine? :D

patrick

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
Southeast
Home Country
Hi guys,

Well there are actually many US users ;)

Have either of you looked @ the zap2it plugin?
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/EPGorTV/Zap2itEPGPlugin/

Updated versions with bug fix for stable release and SVN users:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=80151&postcount=193

All you have to do is sign up for a zap2it account.
See the first post in the thread above.

After you run auto-tune on your TV card(s) the plugin will attempt to map them
to the EPG for you.
Automatically keeps your epg data up to date, always checks the next 24 hour for last minute changes, etc, etc..

If you have any questions or problems with it post in the thread above
or here.

HTH,
patrick

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
I also use the Zap2It plugin and i think it couldnt be much easier. The only downside i see with it is that every 3 months you have to log in manually and click reregister to make sure your account doesnt get deleted but other then that it only took me 15 minutes to get my EPG and TV in sync.

If you have any problems with it let us know and we will help you!

BillyGates

Portal Pro
October 16, 2006
Home Country
So do I need to worry that the 'autotune' only pulled in my 75 Channel #'s and not descriptive names (ABC/PBS etc)...

Can Zap2It work without me having to manually label the 75 Channels?

Thanks. :)

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    The Zap2it Plugin also has the ability to rename your channels that you may already have setup. I'm not sure if it fully works, but on some of my OTA HD channels it worked just fine.

The Zap2it plugin was a lifesaver for me. I have direcTV and over 400 channels. It downloaded ALL of my specified stations from my zap2it account and created every single one of my external TV channels for me. That is priceless :)

Good luck! Keep us posted!

7echno7im

Portal Member
    October 17, 2006
    Midwest
    Home Country
    thank you so much! I will try this as soon as I get home from work. I have a zap2it account because i tried using the method descrubed on sourceforge so the leg work is already done. Will this also download the show information too? I am hoping so. I would like it to download at least 2 weeks of programming info in the future. Well after this it is full blast MP. A few other things I need to adjust is my remote and what codecs to use for viewing/recording but I can do that via trial and error watching/recording. I am going to post about my remote in another thread, I have a Power Color ATI Theater 550 PRO that came with a black remote that worked flawless in XPMCE05, i need to remap all of the buttons now to work with MP. As soon as I post there I will link it ni another post here for all of the MP Wizards that have already posted regaring this thread :) thnaks so much everyone! Good info!

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Sorry, the zap2it plugin DEFINATELY downloads up to 13 days worth of show data/information as well ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom