Error while playing any video stream for a 2nd time (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure if it can be related :)
    It's hard to know. :)

@xppx
    Are you 100% sure that the problem started only after upgrading to MP 1.6? By that I mean that you were playing videos no problem with MP 1.5, then you upgraded to MP 1.6 and immediately started to have the problem. No chance of any install, uninstall, patch, change in configuration of Windows or any other software or drivers that could have caused the problem?

If so, the only thing I can suggest to narrow the problem is to see if MP 1.6 pre release gives you the same problem.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Maybe unrelated but I had an issue when stopping media after playing video with WifiRemote 'playfile' command, MediaPortal hang. The WifiRemote simply call the g_player and do not the same as MediaPortal video section that seems to add media to database before starting player. I'm quite sure that this worked fine in earlier versions(before 1.6) of MediaPortal. I had the issue last week in 1.6 and nothing changed when upgraded to 1.8 pre. Looking at MediaPortal logs and the issue seems to be in the cleaning up in VideoPlayerVMR9.cs since I didn't get all the log lines, think it was the "VideoPlayer9: Cleanup AudioRender" log line. Could be commit 91d995b3 that broke this.

The same behavior could not be reproduced on another MP 1.6 installation.

The logs in this thread do not show any error when cleaning up. But maybe the issue is when cleaning up and not when starting media.

I can try to trigger the issue again and post logs here.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But maybe the issue is when cleaning up and not when starting media.
    I did suspect that could be a possibility because the log files contain two graph images (ie. maybe graph wasn't cleaned up properly), but I wasn't certain whether that was normal... so I didn't say anything.

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Thanks again to all for joining this discussion and trying to find a solution. I really appreciate that! (y)

In attachment I added a new debug log with following settings, as requested:

2ext3ki.jpg

Some details regarding the test:
    • The 4th time you start a video you get that error message; (when NOT in debug mode is always happens on the 2nd video)
    • The ZIP contains a test where I changed all settings to LAV and even changed the merit system with Win7DSFilterTweaker to make sure LAV was taken first (normally shouldn't matter because MP explicitly targets the codecs);
    • For completeness sake I also tested it with the default merits (where Microsoft codecs take precedence) with the same result;
    To give some more context on the problem:
    • The HTPC is dedicated machine I built that is only used for viewing shows & movies;
    • Except the needed software for playing video's or doing some in dept analysis (DPC Latency Checker, Graphstudio, Win7DSFilterTweaker, ...), nothing else has been installed on it, even no virusscanner or firewall (Windows Defender activated); No other software has been or will be installed;
    • I have created a 2 layer network at home with firewalls in between so it is well protected; never had a virus at home (all other devices including NAS have private firewalls and separate virus scanners);
    • Windows 7 is always updated to the latest fix;
    • Video & Audio drivers (Nvidea) are always updated to the latest version;
    • I never installed codepacks; I like to keep it as lean as possible & want to understand what each software does before I use it;
    • Microsoft MediaFoundation has been disabled via Win7DSFilterTweaker; (do not want it)
    • Only codecs installed are: CoreAVC (3.0, high quality, low CPU), FFDShow (latest stable version), Haali (latest stable version), LAV (via MP)
    • MediaPortal is always updated to the latest stable release (never a pre-); For the latest version I did a 100% clean install.

Not sure if it can be related :)
    It's hard to know. :)
    @xppx
    Are you 100% sure that the problem started only after upgrading to MP 1.6? By that I mean that you were playing videos no problem with MP 1.5, then you upgraded to MP 1.6 and immediately started to have the problem. No chance of any install, uninstall, patch, change in configuration of Windows or any other software or drivers that could have caused the problem?
    If so, the only thing I can suggest to narrow the problem is to see if MP 1.6 pre release gives you the same problem.

The issue started right after I upgraded to MediaPortal 1.6 (no fresh install). I only noticed the problem a week after because I normally do not watch shows one after the other.
    Why do I know it is MP 1.6+?
    • After the problem occurred I did a roll-back - did a full restore (via a backup I made ) to MP 1.5 and everything worked fine again
    • I do not combine different installs - from experience I know that it makes it impossible to deduct the source if you do that (I'm in IT as well);
    • And when I did the MP 1.6 upgrade - no other tool was installed on top, even no extra plug-in;
    • I didn't react immediately because I was sure that I would not be the only one with this problem and that surely this would be gone in the next versions of MP (I strongly believe in the self correcting factor of open source)
    • After upgrade and later re-install of MP 1.7 I knew the bug was - or exceptional - or specific to my case (I hope not)
    Just remembered there was one anomaly though when I installed MP 1.6:
    • In MP 1.5 I had added the LAV filters via the Extension Manager - not via the main install;
    • Via MP 1.6 I flagged the LAV filters during the main install - but that part of the install unexpectedly failed so the LAV filters were originally installed/setup in such a way by the Extension Manager that the normal MP installer couldn't coop with it ...
    • Now for MP 1.7.1 I uninstalled MP + LAV + all plug-ins and installed them again; I did not have any warning/error during install - it went flawless; but I know that that doesn't mean everything is guaranteed perfect in the registry...
    <nb>
    With regard to issues, I only had 2 issues since I'm using the HTPC (since 2007):

• The first one I got right after setting up the HTPC for the first itme; I had a stuttering video image - pretty normal you say, but which after in dept analysis seemed to be caused by a WIFI driver (suprised me too) which interfered with the video signal; uninstalling the drivers didn't remove the dll's causing the issue so I deinstalled the WIFI card and reinstalled Windows and the problem was gone;
    • The other one appeared just like this one, out of the blue; On a certain day each video would stop after 30 minutes - just like that; you could stop it manually via 'B', restart it and then it would continue again for 30 minutes; I never found out the reason but after 6 monthns it dissapeared after a major Windows upgrade; Later I learned that a small Windows fix was the origin of the problem;
    </nb>

So it appears that I'm blessed/cursed with extraordinary issues :)

Attachments

• 9-06-2014 14-37-50 LAV Settings.jpg
      9-06-2014 14-37-50 LAV Settings.jpg
      103 KB
    • 9-06-2014 14-38-36 LAV Settings.jpg
      9-06-2014 14-38-36 LAV Settings.jpg
      133.6 KB
    • 9-06-2014 14-43-56 LAV Settings.jpg
      9-06-2014 14-43-56 LAV Settings.jpg
      76 KB
    • 9-06-2014 14-56-28 Error Message.jpg
      9-06-2014 14-56-28 Error Message.jpg
      30.6 KB
    Last edited:

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately the issue is not the same what I'm having. The error is indeed in the same component but the error code is different.
    It was identified as a bug in MP and resolved as such:

Found it
    Found it, nothing to do with girder and registry changes really...
    It was a bug with the current svn built... just reinstalled everything in the client from the scratch and it worked.

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for good report :)

Silly question but does it happen also if you use MPAR as audio renderer ?
    Next question would be to try MP 1.5 and so on from a folder (so i mean like when i try from builded GIT folder, in the case where i test older MP version, i need to use older skin that i copy to 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Titan.1.5.0'.

I can zip this special installation for you and you can try without doing anything else to your current installation but it will permit to directly test on your current system/windows etc.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Here we go :)
    You can try this one :
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10536084/mp/MP1.5/MP1.5.zip (uploading and eta in 30 minutes)

You unpack to where you want and use the folder 'Release\skin\Titan' that you need to rename like you want to for ex : 'Titan.1.5.0' and copy to your 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\'

Run 'configuration.exe' from unpack/release folder and set skin to 'Titan.1.5.0'.

You can make a backup of your folder : 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal' like this you are sure that nothing will be touch in case of something wrong.

Now you can start MP from the unpack/release folder and try to play some video and see what happen.

It will act like you start debug mode because this unpack/release will have only the default plugin :)

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Silly question but does it happen also if you use MPAR as audio renderer ?

Just tested the MPAR audio renderer (instead of dsound) with my current setup, and I'm afraid the result is the same.

Choosing MPAR wouldn't anyway be an option for me because I redirect the raw sound signal directly via fiber optic cable to my external (Onkyo) amplifier who is capable of recognizing the type (AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, ...).

I'm going to test your special installation now. And wow, I must say, I'm really impressed that you are able to set this up in such a short time! (and I'm saying this as ex-Java expert...)

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    If it works, we need to find what commit make it hard for you :)
    Maybe the one @johanj explain :p

So you can maybe install a latest build based 1.8.0 Pre release + master (i will able to supply you a bin based on this and with johanj finding commit reverted)

Will see how does your result with MP1.5 zip :)

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Here we go :)
    Now you can start MP from the unpack/release folder and try to play some video and see what happen.

It will act like you start debug mode because this unpack/release will have only the default plugin :)

WOW ... thank you, this just proved my assumption!

In this version (1.5) of MediaPortal stated problem does not occur.

I started up first the same and then different video's multiple times (+10) and no issue at all.
    It works just as I remembered.

This rules out a lot of stuff: codecs, LAV, splitter, settings.

Does this help you in any way to pinpoint the problem? (I guess I know the answer ... further drilling down is needed to the commit that chokes via the 1.8 pre release)

--
    I'm living in Belgium and it's now 7 PM (and the kids start claiming the tv) - If you manage to create a 1.8 pre-build I'll make sure I'll test it this evening (in an hour or two).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom