Error With New 1.31 Install (3 Viewers)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
I've just updated to Win 10 on a second drive and am installing MP 1.31. Having a bit of trouble with the install with the following message when trying to start TV server config. It did run ok a couple of times but now this.

I tried a reinstall with no luck but not sure if a reinstall actually strips the old stuff out first for a complete new install.

Will get back to it on the weekend for another play so if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Thanks

20230814_172306.jpg

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've just updated to Win 10 on a second drive and am installing MP 1.31. Having a bit of trouble with the install with the following message when trying to start TV server config.
    I am not a TV expert. However, the error shown in the screen shot is from "get_Cards()", which (I think) means that TV Server was trying to determine what tuner cards were available, but it did not find any. Were there TV tuners available on the system where this error occurred?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Were there TV tuners available on the system where this error occurred?

They were in device manager when I installed the drivers but not sure if they showed up in MP.

Do you know if an MP reinstall strips all the old stuff out first so starting from scratch?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Do you know if an MP reinstall strips all the old stuff out first so starting from scratch?
    I think that it clears the folders in "Program Files", but does not clear the folders in "ProgramData". This is so that you can retain such things as the MP settings, tuned TV channels, and so on.

If you want a virgin re-install, I think that you have to delete manually all of the folders that have "MediaPortal" somewhere in the name, in both "Program Files" and "ProgramData" (and even then, I think that there may be one or two registry settings that still remain).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    OK thanks. When I get back to it I'll have a look and maybe get rid of all the MP folders etc and see if that fixes it.

Luckily I'm still able to use MP 1.25 on my original drive so this new install isn't affecting me thank god.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Looks like some install issue has prevented the TV service from running and I can't get it to start manually so there is some type of problem there. This seems to be the source of the error message.

After deleting both MP fully and the db fully and then a reinstall of both there still appears to be some problems.

I will go back to a disk image I took before all this happened and see if starting from a clean slate fixes the install.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Looks like some install issue has prevented the TV service from running and I can't get it to start manually so there is some type of problem there.
    I am running MP 1.31 on my production system. It installed without problem, but that was an update install (over MP 1.29).

I will have a rummage and see if I can find a system image that has never had MP installed on it. But it will be Windows 7, not Windows 10. (Only my laptop runs Windows 10, and that does not have any tuners; my HTPC runs Windows 7.)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I suspect MP is having problems connecting to MySQL Try doing a complete full uninstall of MP 1 and delete any left over "Team MeadiaPortal" folders in Program Files (x86) and Program Data then uninstall MySQL and delete any leftover traces of it in Program Files and Program Data. Reload and install Mp 1.31 which should automatically reinstall MySQL.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Looks like some install issue has prevented the TV service from running and I can't get it to start manually so there is some type of problem there.
    I will have a rummage and see if I can find a system image that has never had MP installed on it.
    I have just installed MP 1.31 on my Windows 7 system image that had never had MP (or MySQL) installed on it previously. Some points:
    • All installation selections were pre-selected, except for "Very old MP" (removed, no action), and "Windows Media Player 11" (already installed).
    • Towards the end, a window appeared from "Windows Firewall" saying that it had blocked some features, and giving the option to allow access for private networks (click "Allow").
    • The "MediaPortal Deploy Tool" diagnosed an error when attempting to download the LAV filters. The download failed, and the LAV filters were not installed. So there seems to be some error here (@ajs ?).
    • Despite the LAV error, both "MP Config" and "TV Server Config" could be started and ran successfully. TV Server was able to scan for channels, and live TV could then be watched.
    • "MP Config" showed that MP had selected the Microsoft codecs for video and audio, in place of the LAV codecs that could not be installed.
    • I looked in the log files, and there were no errors similar to yours.
    I am not an expert, and I don't know what might be the cause of your problem, but I would suggest trying the following:
    • Make sure that you have disabled IPv6 on your home network. My understanding is that TV Server does not work correctly if IPv6 is enabled.
    • When you install MP, make sure that the internet is available. In principle you ought to be able to download the components, and then install MP when the internet is not available, but that might not work correctly (it did not work the only time that I tried it many years ago).

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Make sure that you have disabled IPv6 on your home network. My understanding is that TV Server does not work correctly if IPv6 is enabled.
    Both IPv4 and IPv6 is enabled by default in Windows 10/11 and as far as I am aware from many MP1 installs the TV Server works problem free in this condition,
    BUT if a VPN is in use that does not support IPv6 then if it is enabled there will be no internet connection which may cause problems.
    I would suggest the OP disable his VPN during the install in addition to the actions I suggested in my earlier post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom