Error With New 1.31 Install (2 Viewers)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Try doing a complete full uninstall of MP 1 and delete any left over "Team MeadiaPortal" folders in Program Files (x86) and Program Data then uninstall MySQL and delete any leftover traces of it in Program Files and Program Data. Reload and install Mp 1.31 which should automatically reinstall MySQL.
Yes as stated I did a full uninstall on both

I would suggest the OP disable his VPN during the install in addition to the actions I suggested in my earlier post.
I don't have a VPN

I have just installed MP 1.31 on my Windows 7 system image that had never had MP (or MySQL) installed on it previously. Some points:
  • Towards the end, a window appeared from "Windows Firewall" saying that it had blocked some features, and giving the option to allow access for private networks (click "Allow").
Yes something I need to look out for but if I remember correctly as part of the install it asks if you want the install to tell the firewall to allow installation?
  • The "MediaPortal Deploy Tool" diagnosed an error when attempting to download the LAV filters. The download failed, and the LAV filters were not installed. So there seems to be some error here (@ajs ?).
An error that shouldn't happen or at least be handled better!
  • When you install MP, make sure that the internet is available. In principle you ought to be able to download the components, and then install MP when the internet is not available, but that might not work correctly (it did not work the only time that I tried it many years ago).
-- from CyberSimian in the UK
And that happened to me as well (see other thread). It would seem as though if the install is straightforward then happy days BUT when there are problems the installer doesn't handle them well.

I have read where some people have been put off by the MP install with too many problems and gone to Kodi. I can't say if that install has been any better for them as I don't have it but clearly installing MP was a turnoff. I realise that this may have been some time ago but we are now at MP 1.31 and some people (hopefully but not hopefully just me) are still having install problems.

I'm hoping to reinstall my base image this weekend and have a play with many different install options to find out what works and where there are issues and document them.

Now I can't say if next time around I will have the same problems but what I will do is just go back to my base image as a starting point rather than go through the uninstall procedure as I'm not 100% convinced that Win 10 completely recognises that things have been removed.

Hopefully this will lead to a deploy tool that has a more seamless outcome and handle errors better.

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
So getting back to this and testing I found out the problem is due to the fact I changed the PC name after the MP install and that is what the error message was all about. Apparently after doing some more searching this issue has been around for many years which leads me to ask why a simple (I think) comparison of the PC name and the name in the db where the PC name is stored couldn't be done on startup of the server?

If there is a mismatch then a popup (The PC name = "???" The MP db = "???" - You need to make them the same) and then quit the server startup. This would be much clearer than the original message that really means nothing to an ordinary user. At least a clear message would point the user towards a clear way to fix it like here:

Confluence Mobil - MediaPortal Documentation

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If there is a mismatch then a popup (The PC name = "???" The MP db = "???"
    then uninstall MySQL and delete any leftover traces of it in Program Files and Program Data. Reload and install Mp 1.31 which should automatically reinstall MySQL.
    Would it be fair enough to say that had you really followed this suggestion your problem would have been solved?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    after doing some more searching this issue has been around for many years which leads me to ask why a simple (I think) comparison of the PC name and the name in the db where the PC name is stored couldn't be done on startup of the server?
    I think that it is fair to say that all of the MP developers who wrote this code originally have long since retired as active members of the team, and the team nowadays is a shadow of its former self. This means that there are vast areas of the MP code that the few remaining developers know nothing about, and are therefore reluctant to change anything for fear of causing a catastrophe elsewhere within MP. TV Server is one of these areas.

Having looked at MP log files for a number of years now, I must say that mostly I find them to be particularly unhelpful. There is often a traceback that shows the invocation hierarchy, but it does not display the actual data that caused the error. Possibly this is a limitation of C# and C++ object-oriented programming, or perhaps a result of the way that Microsoft chose to implement these languages.

Anyway, I am glad that you managed to solve your problem. (y)

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Would it be fair enough to say that had you really followed this suggestion your problem would have been solved?
    Yes correct that would have solved it. I guess I was more interested in finding out what I had done to cause the problem as the error message was of no help.

By deleting everything I wouldn't have known so it was a learning curve for future reference.

I think that it is fair to say that all of the MP developers who wrote this code originally have long since retired as active members of the team, and the team nowadays is a shadow of its former self. This means that there are vast areas of the MP code that the few remaining developers know nothing about, and are therefore reluctant to change anything for fear of causing a catastrophe elsewhere within MP. TV Server is one of these areas.

Anyway, I am glad that you managed to solve your problem. (y)

Fully understood I thought that might be the case.

I also had some issues with tvserver startup. I will start a new thread on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom