EventGhostPlus (1 Viewer)

DaBIGOne

Portal Pro
January 16, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I've found that out too, sometimes with 2 quick messages after each other the message receiver in the plugin fails (you can also see the error in EventGhostPlus.log), you'll have to restart MediaPortal again to get it working again.
But mostly it just receives the message and doesn't show it as the dialog is already showing.
I will try to get this sorted in the next release, maybe build a queue for it.

Also using port 1025 was not the right thing to do, I just used it because it was a nice follow up.
Now I've seen it is used by a number of services that normally wouldn't run on a HTPC but still could run (IIS for instance).

I think I was a bit too eager to supply you guys with this great feature :)

1023 would be a better port to use, it's reserved just like 1024.
I will change the default port to 1023 the next release.

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks DaBIGOne, no biggie, if you need a helping hand with testing before the release just give me notice...

Wiedmann

Portal Pro
    June 22, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1023 would be a better port to use, it's reserved just like 1024.
    I will change the default port to 1023 the next release.
    I guess knowledge about RFCs is old school ;-) Maybe you want read RFC 6335 (aka IANA port number registry). I don't think you should use any port in this range...

BTW:
    As a long user from EG with MP and the message plug-in:
    IMHO the "sexy" thing of the message plug is, that it's using the always available Windows messages to send something from EG to MP. Thus, why do you use TCP to send messages from MP to EG and not also Windows messages (even for sending e.g. additional text from EG to MP (WM_COPYDATA))? Using a pipe may also be an alternative.

Last edited:

DaBIGOne

Portal Pro
    January 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I know you should use ports of 0xC000 + for user port... but 49152+ is so high it's just not funny anymore.
    by default EventGhost uses 1024 which is reserved, 1023 is also reserved, I think it'll be ok to use it ;)

Well, you send messages to MediaPortal, the mediaportal core does not send MW_COPYDATA to the plugins I've tried some other messages but no succes, only messages of 0x8000+ will pass, so no WM_COPYDATA is available for plugins.

This was the most elegant way to get this done. plus there is a whole lot more possible now :)

Most of the EG users are using a server (at least I do, and I know a few more) right now you can forward your event straight to the EG+ plugin. As when you use a WM or a named pipe you always need to forward your event to the EG on the HTPC and then forward that again to the plugin.
    Every step you can eliminate is a point of failure less, and I use the Network Event sender/receiver from EG I only made the EG plugin to make it a bit easier to forward the payloads. (without first writing a python command and stuff)

Last edited:

DaBIGOne

Portal Pro
    January 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    v 1.1.1.0 in repository.
    Added Features:
    - Custom image with messages.
    - Message Queue to display incoming messages when 1 is being shown when that one is closed (by OK or timeout)
    - Log verbosity can be set to Debug mode.
    Changes:
    - Minor changes in configuration.
    - Some bug fixes.

When you update the MediaPortalMessageSender Plugin in EventGhost, you need to restart EventGhost and then open every "Send Message" action you have and save it.
    An extra option is added and EventGhost will generate an error if you don't change your "Send Message" as there is 1 parameter missing to send.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Can I navigate through the official STB GUI installed on the TVServer in the basement through my MP Client in the livingroom with this plugin ??

thanks.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can I navigate through the official STB GUI installed on the TVServer in the basement through my MP Client in the livingroom with this plugin ??

thanks.
    Euh... what exactly do you mean with STB GUI on TV Server? The TV Server install is a service, only Clients have a GUI.

Last edited:

DaBIGOne

Portal Pro
    January 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's a good question.
    I don't know much about the TV Server nor STB GUI as I don't use it myself.
    But if you can see the screen on your MP Client and have a IR receiver on the HTPC you can use EventGhost to intercept IR transmissions and trigger keypresses on your server in the basement, you don't need this plugin for that though.

It could be an interesting feature to implement in the future maybe... Maybe later when I have my IPTV setup :)

Edit:
    You can also use a IR transmitter on the server and send IR signals to your Set Top Box.
    Pick up IR transmits from the HTPC send events for each keypress to the server with EventGhost and then transmit the IR codes with a IR transmitter on your server.
    Plugin is still not needed :)

Last edited:

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I mean, my STB VIP2200 has an integrate GUI (youtube, navigate recordings, settings and more service from my ISP) I would like to access this GUI through MediaPortal. Can I learn my official STB remote IR code (left.right,up,down,enter) and blast those codes in the basement (TVServer+STB+Colossus) with EventGhost. And that, from any MP client ?

man, sorry for my english.

thanks

DaBIGOne

Portal Pro
    January 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, you can do that with EventGhost.
    You will need a IR transmitter on your server and a IR receiver on your HTPC (but that would be no problem since you have a USB-UIRT which is also supported by EventGhost).
    for instance you press the UP key on your remote, the receiver will generate an event in EventGhost, something linke Main.UIRT.KeyUP or something, then you send an event to your sever with the Network Event sender, on the server you need EventGhost with the Network Event Receiver and a IR transmitter.
    Then when you receive the network event you can send an IR transmit to the IR transmitter to operate your STB.

This should work, and I would like to help you with that too (sounds like a fun feature to configure).
    You can find me for questions on IRC freenode #EventGhostPlus (type DaBIGOne to alert me)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom