[no Bug] EVR and Stutter with nVidia ION (1 Viewer)

BeLLe

Portal Pro
August 13, 2008
Mba: It would be great if you could post as many details about your setup as possible so others with ION systems (like me) could try and copy it and see if it works for us too

mba

Portal Pro
September 16, 2005
Aarhus
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
ok here are some screendumps, one when watching normal SD and one watching a 720p HD channel. I am no expert at readings those graphs so I don't know what to expect. The stuttering at the end of both dumps is due to me enabling the statistics which seems to influence the performance quite a deal.

Attachments

• hdstat.jpg
    hdstat.jpg
    264.8 KB
  • sdstat.jpg
    sdstat.jpg
    154.8 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ok here are some screendumps, one when watching normal SD and one watching a 720p HD channel. I am no expert at readings those graphs so I don't know what to expect. The stuttering at the end of both dumps is due to me enabling the statistics which seems to influence the performance quite a deal.

You are using wrong refresh rate. It should be 50Hz for PAL material.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ok that was stupid! thanks for clearing that up Tourettes. After restoring the system I Have forgotten to change the refresh rate.

I have attached now screendumps and I think it looks even better now, except for the 'red' graph on the SD channels which has some larger fluctuations, this does not however reduce the viewing experience.

New changes to the system:

Installation of MP RC6
    Disabled wireless adapter
    Set static ip to 192.168.100.2
    Changed MP tv conf streaming server to use fixed ip address
    Changed refresh rate to 50Hz

(the network changes where made due to freezes when entering tv / trying to watch tv after sleep. This was hopefully resolved by disabling wireless, setting static ip in adapter settings and setting static ip in MP streaming server.)

Attachments

• sdstat2.jpg
      sdstat2.jpg
      163.3 KB
    • hdstat2.jpg
      hdstat2.jpg
      268.9 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have attached now screendumps and I think it looks even better now, except for the 'red' graph on the SD channels which has some larger fluctuations, this does not however reduce the viewing experience.

Those "bumps" are most likely caused by a bug in EVR presenter code that is used for 1:2 fps to Hz content (25 fps on 50Hz display). Those should be visible as a slight judder since tthe graph looks like the video frames are presented on wrong v-sync on random basis (but as it is 1:2 case, it will be only 50% of the frame duration that the target fails...).

I would suggest you to get the hardware based deinterlace to work, that will produce 50fps and the EVR presenter's possible bug shouldn't affect you any more. And as a bonus, the picture / movements will be a bit more smooth since the deinterlaced result will be having 50fps.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    A good solution for 25fps files (not livetv) is to use reclock with vsync correction disabled. It really helps in my configuration.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I dont know if its me and my low quality standards :D but I'm actually very pleased with livetv right now. I have only seen the periodic spikes in the red graph once when making the last screenshot, I don't now if this is normal with the evr presenter bug. Only stuttering, is a bit when enabling the stat overlay.

Is the evr presenter part of mp? And will it be fixed at some point?

How do I enable hardware deinterlace with an ion based system using the Microsoft dtv-dvd codec?

ruby Thanks for the tip I will try it out if I need even better picture quality.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I dont know if its me and my low quality standards :D but I'm actually very pleased with livetv right now. I have only seen the periodic spikes in the red graph once when making the last screenshot, I don't now if this is normal with the evr presenter bug. Only stuttering, is a bit when enabling the stat overlay.

I guess for me, it is all a question of perspective. For those of you that are seeing 'problems', would you notice the problems if you did not enable the graphs to check? Is your TV viewing experience satisfactory?

Ultimately there are any number of factors that could affect performance. Hard disk, network, anti-virus software, signal strength, weather, anything else that tries to do something on your computer while you are watching TV. I think everyone is bound to get dropped frames/glitches once in a while. The only question of relevance right now is whether there is a MediaPortal bug that can be fixed to cure these problems.

I wonder whether we should take this thread/discussion out of the bug report forum and into general support.

Best wishes,

Mark

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    mba, with ION from my experience, the only way to get 50fps with PAL tv is by using the MPC codec with Bob deinterlacing method. But only on 720 TV resolution. ION cannot run PAL at full 1920x1080 50hz resolution - at least I never managed it, unless using vmr9, but that's not supported and has its own issues which will never be fixed. 25fps looks very blurry, especially with fast motion like sport, or ticker-tape text such as on news programmes etc.

Try it and report back if you would.

Thanks, and good luck!
    Si

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: EVR and Stutter with nVidia ION

SimondusMaximus:
    I have 1080i LiveTV running smooth on an ION system. :)
    It's just a configuration thing. currently i am trying different codecs for picture improvement, next one will be CoreAVC (like mba does). will report back when tested

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom