Experimental TsReader development (6 Viewers)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Although I'm not sure the MP installer is able to automatically apply this to the AV software.

If its half decent AV it will block any changes a external program tries to make to it ;)

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I actually just discovered today that my MS security essentials might be causing trouble on my tv-server. I did have an exception set to exclude realtime scanning on my timeshift drive. However when i disabled realtime scanning all together my tuning times on the server (test channels) would nearly be reduced to half what it was (14-1500ms to 800ms) Now i have excluded mediaportal folders in both program files and program data. I have also excluded *.ts from real time scanning and now i get the same results as with realtime scanning disabled. Who knows if the culprit to my "file not found" could be caused by Antivirus locking the timeshift file. I will do some more testing and also revisit NonstopMOD v45 and report back.

Thanks for all your help Tony!

Regards
    Jacob

OK. Its so much better now. Some rtsp channel switches still takes 3-4 seconds but UNC now only takes 1-2 seconds :) i tried both v45 and 1.2.1 and 1.2.1 i still a little faster.

tony
    Any specific logs/tests you would like from me?

regards
    Jacob

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It would be nice to have our installer detect the presence of AV software then query the user to follow these steps in order to maximize performance.

It would be wise to block the MP installer from completing the installation when it detects a precense of any AV (not audio video :)) software. Those aren't anythign than trouble makers when it comes to the video playback quality. Havent seen any nicely behaving AV software ever.

If you ask from me there is no real reason to keep any AV software on HTPC - unless you are adventorous enough to surf on the dark side of the net.

...getting offtopic :)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It would be wise to block the MP installer from completing the installation when it detects a precense of any AV (not audio video :)) software. Those aren't anythign than trouble makers when it comes to the video playback quality. Havent seen any nicely behaving AV software ever.

If you ask from me there is no real reason to keep any AV software on HTPC - unless you are adventorous enough to surf on the dark side of the net.

I totally agree.. AV doesn't belong to a HTPC setup..
    one exception though - ppl running tv server which serves multiple purposes, like web, mail etc. these would normally benefit from AV software.
    but ofc. one should be aware of the latency they undoubtedly introduce.

/gibman

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi Tony ,
    i want to share my experience with the last versions:

v41 run ok on cabled htpc client and finally it fixed and made rock stable rtsp tv on my laptop wifi client

before v41 rtsp can't be used from my laptop just UNC mode, ok on cabled clients

v44 same as v41 seems a bit better on both wifi and cabled clients

v45 run ok on cabled (but i can't see any sostantial improment on speed on channel change) , but on my laptop wifi client it makes MP working in a silly way, very often is impossible watch tv: the client after some hang with no video/audio says tv service lost, but on server there is the channel tuned and streamed until i close mp on client. Sometimes it works as aspected. It happens both with UNC and rtsp

coming back to v44 all turn ok

i'm adding the logs of v45 and v44

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

I could not agree more. The thing is that my tv server also holds a bounch of other stuff. Webserver, Fileserver, Virtual box server. Its also located in the basement where all my tv signals are terminated. From here I have network cables running to all the rooms around the house. If the tv-server was part of a singleseat setup underneat the tv in the livingroom i certainly would not have AV software on it.

Regards
    Jacob

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hi Tony ,

v45 run ok on cabled (but i can't see any sostantial improment on speed on channel change) , but on my laptop wifi client it makes MP working in a silly way, very often is impossible watch tv: the client after some hang with no video/audio says tv service lost, but on server there is the channel tuned and streamed until i close mp on client. Sometimes it works as aspected. It happens both with UNC and rtsp

Is the v45 log for when it hangs ? - the log looks OK (a few continuity errors, but nothing else strange I can see). Can you post a full set of logs for when it hangs ? (I need to see what's in the other logs).

Tony

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Is the v45 log for when it hangs ? - the log looks OK (a few continuity errors, but nothing else strange I can see). Can you post a full set of logs for when it hangs ? (I need to see what's in the other logs).

Tony

i thought yes, but as soon as i will able to reproduce issue i'll send you again more specific logs.

just in case i see those continuity error also in the cabled clients even they are on gigabit lan

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Can you check the server logs for continuity errors (the TsWriter log is the one to look at, I think).

In theory, using UNC paths should be as reliable as single-seat i.e. it shouldn't be possible to get continuity errors due to network problems (and UNC works OK for me with server and client both connected with WiFi - which should be a 'worst case' performance situation).

Tony

moppe

Portal Member
    December 23, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    hi,
    I have followed your work and finaly deceide me for a testrun, and I tested the v45, it work pretty well on live tv and sd, but on a test drive to an recorded hd tv episode mp crash at once, it working with vlc and the orig 122 version. se my ts log file.
    hope this helps in your development.
    br moppe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom