Experimental TsReader development (2 Viewers)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi Tony,
I've been reading through this thread and it seems really interesting. I'm just curious though, does TsReader have anything to do with the video (image) quality of LiveTV or is that purely a codec issue. Right now my system runs LiveTV (SD) pretty smooth, but the image is lacking even by SD standards. I was just wondering if playing with different TsReaders would help that or not.

Rob
That would be codec and video driver related.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    First of all i would like to thank Tony for the time he puts into this project.

And now lets move on to my story:)

I got a mp "SERVER" with 2 clients connected to it, one is based on "ION" the other one is based on "ATI", following are their specs:

Server
    WINXP
    MP 1.2.2

ION (latest Nvidia drivers)
    WINXP
    LAV Audio
    PDVD 11 Video Codec
    MP 1.2.2

ATI (6450 latest ATI drivers)
    WIN7
    LAV Audio
    LAV Video
    MP 1.2.2

My clients connect to my server and use UNC for timeshifting.

I got the ATI HTPC like 2 weeks ago and since then i am fighting with it :) My ION system is ROCK SOLID but lacks advanced deinterlacing so i decided it is time to go for a new system and here we go!!!!

The ATI system is obviously using EVR so i noticed that i got sometimes jerky playback on SD ONLY so i started to pay attention to my shift+1 stats and i saw there that i got dropped frames.

I checked my tswriter logs and there are no discontinuities there, so off we go for the client logs tsreader reports no discontinuities either BUT it reports lots of Late frames (P or B or something like that, i am getting old and cannot recall now) and EVR logs report dropped frames.

Since i am monitoring this thread i decided to try some of the tsreaders that are found here and fair enough with v48 there are no more dropped frames and EVR log seems ok BUT tsreader still reports that there are late frames although playback is OK.

I don't know what the ION tsreader logs report since i never had an issue with it and as a result i didn't pay attention to its logs.

So Tony any ideas regarding the late frames? What could be the cause? And what kind of logs do u want from me?

Thanx in advance.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    kotik, i'm an long time ati user and i would like to share my experience : pay attention to what driver ati are you using (on my 5770 works well 12.1 and 12.2 the only that works well from 2011 was 11.4 ) and codec...i can get perfect sd just with pdvd (and microsoft even with a slight worse picture quality), have you tried the directshowfilters coming also from tony? https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nter-dshowhelper-community-development.81148/
    i'm using the v92 one.
    i hope my thoughts can help you ;)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If it's playing OK and the render stats are not reporting dropped frames, then ignore the lines in TsReader.log like:

Vid/Ref : 2.144, Late I-frame(00), Compensated = 1.009 ( 0.854 A/V buffers=27/14), Clk : 0.155000, SampCnt 0, stallPt 0.863

...unless the number before 'A/V buffers' is negative - e.g. ( 0.854 A/V buffers=xx/xx) is OK, but ( -0.854 A/V buffers=xx/xx) indicates a problem.

Tony

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Right now trying v50 and that seems to be also very nice, tried the one that will be in 1.2.3 but that one had the same SD dropped frames with the original 1.2.2.

So i will stick with v50 for now and see how it works out.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tony,

I just had my Live TV Freeze on me (NSM v50). When i was searching for my logs, it 'released' itself again and resumed playback after about 40/50 secs. Don't have HTPC set to debug, so normal logs is all i have for you, but there's a bunch of late frames with negative A/V buffers.

Greetz,

Jeroen

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The late frames will all be discarded in the video renderer, so it would look like the the video was frozen if you had a block of them - the evr.log might tell us more.

I would guess (as it is using UNC paths) that data just isn't arriving fast enough over the network sometimes.

Tony

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since streaming of Blu-ray's (around 40/45 Mbit/s) works nicely on my network (Gbit) and TV HD Streams take around 13/14 Mbit/s, i assume that can't be the issue. I've attached TsReader + EVR log with negative A/V buffer. I hope they're of any use to you ;)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've never seen this happen on my systems....

I can see a block of very late (30 seconds late) samples in evr.log, but no clues in TsReader.log, other than it pauses because it's running low on data at around the same time.

Did the video freeze for 30 seconds ?

I notice you are using an experimental (BD testing) version of MP - does this happen with standard MP 1.2.2 ?

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom