Extreme lag while browsing Moving Pictures (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If I enter Moving Pictures and just press down in the list until I hit page 3, it takes about 20 seconds for the info and artwork to "catch up" with the selected list item. If I just go down one item in the list, it takes about 2 seconds for the artwork to catch up, and 1 second for the movie info. In all other plugins, browsing is spot on (My Music, My Videos and MP TV-Series).

All my movies are on a NAS, and I don't remember seeing this issue until I moved them there (I had my media on external HDDs before) if this is relevant.

Emph

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    If I enter Moving Pictures and just press down in the list until I hit page 3, it takes about 20 seconds for the info and artwork to "catch up" with the selected list item. If I just go down one item in the list, it takes about 2 seconds for the artwork to catch up, and 1 second for the movie info. In all other plugins, browsing is spot on (My Music, My Videos and MP TV-Series).

All my movies are on a NAS, and I don't remember seeing this issue until I moved them there (I had my media on external HDDs before) if this is relevant.

Emph

There is an advanced setting that determines how much time to lapse before it should load artwork/details. You can tweak those numbers to make flipping through a list faster, or slower. The lower the time, the more artwork will be loaded when you scroll through the list. The higher the time the longer it will take allowing you to skip through items faster. This is all down to access to your movingpictures.db3 and your thumbs/MovingPictures folder, so the NAS location should not make a difference.

Keep in mind that sometimes you might deal with a 15MB cover that is 3000x8000 that MediaPortal skin engine has to resize to fit the skin dimensions. For that reason and the simple fact that the skin/MovingPictures folder was growing soo much in size for me that my small SSD/partition was almost out of space, I created a batch script that would resize/recode artwork so that it would not have any extreme images. This saved a bunch of space (think I went from 16GB down to 1GB on my MovingPictures thumbs folder), but also allowed me to scan through the "All Movies" list at blazing speeds.

There is a thread/post on here where I've shared said script, if you are interested in that approach.

Or you can adjust the advanced setting.

PS: Page up/down is an even quicker way to scroll through a large list, and you can of course use SMS filtering.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Be sure the the skin or another plugin is not adding images as well. If that is not done on background thread then it could certainly delay scrolling.

A lot of skins are now pushing artwork made available from other plugins, so if that is not pushed to the skin asynchronously expect delays like you see.

Also ensure Debug Logging is disabled (esp since you enabled debug logging for movpics skin properties!) as that can slow things down as well.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It's the same deal in all skins I've tried (including StreamedMP). I will look into tweaking the settings in Moving Pictures. I just put it really low now to see if it made any difference. I'll check the suggestions and report back.

Also ensure Debug Logging is disabled (esp since you enabled debug logging for movpics skin properties!) as that can slow things down as well.

Where exactly do I disable this for skin properties? Is that a dedicated setting?

Emph

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Where exactly do I disable this for skin properties? Is that a dedicated setting?
    In MovingPictures advanced settings...you must of enabled it. When enabled, all skin properties are pushed to skin (also requires debug logging to be enabled in MediaPortal). It's there to help skin designers.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In my MovingPictures' advanced settings, Skinner's debug mode is marked as FALSE now, and I haven't changed it before. Does it automatically change when MePo's debug setting is on perhaps?

I'm currently experimenting with the artwork and details loading times to see if I can improve anything. Also, sometimes the details don't end up matching the selected item in the list when they've caught up. :confused:

My Thumbs/MovingPictures folder is 449 MB and I see that it was write protected. I've removed the protection now to see if it changes anything.
    Emph

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Keep in mind that sometimes you might deal with a 15MB cover that is 3000x8000 that MediaPortal skin engine has to resize to fit the skin dimensions.
    @RoChess: I was under the impression that movpic will resize all covers and backdrops on import if they exceed the values set in the advanced settings? At least that's how I understood the settings comment. But as you said I found some covers in the thumbs folder which are bigger then my chosen size of 1000x1500 for covers... Maybe this is a bug?

Edit: Oh and btt: Even with quite a some jpegs around 10MB scrolling within movpic is fine on my system. I guess there is something else going on on your machines guys.

Last edited:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I've set mine to a similar size for quality (some of the images it was using looked terrible!)
    I think I'll try playing with the image size and compression settings...

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You could set up a new database after moving the current one to a save location. Maybe creating the new one will improve things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom