Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think requiring Stop to be pressed twice is sufficient to avoid accidental stops, without needing a dialog. Just a time window during which the second Stop has to be received should do.

But without the dialog, how will the user know that they need to press it again to actually stop the TV Stream.

I think it is a really useful feature for the WAF, who doesn't understand the whole paused TV thing and why she looses the stream.

A couple of improvements might be:

1) Make it optional in the config so the feature can be turned on/off

2) Make the dialogue come up as it currently does, but have it time-out after 4 seconds (or a configurable time), this will mean that rather having a YES/NO option in the dialogue you could just have "Press OK/STOP to confirm you wish to stop the timeshifting of live TV". If OK or STOP is not pressed the dialogue disappears after 4 seconds, or if the back button is pressed it goes away instantly.

3) Have the TV Service detect if the current programme is running “live” or “timeshifted”, if it is “live” then just stop playback as soon as stop is pressed (since no timeshift file will be lost), but if it is “timeshifted” then make sure the dialogue is presented.

4) if you were to implement items 1, 2 and 3, then it might also be good to make it consistent and behave the same way whether you are in full-screen mode or in a menu display.

Just a thought.

Robbo100

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But without the dialog, how will the user know that they need to press it again to actually stop the TV Stream.

I don't think it's really that hard to grasp that to stop playback you have to press STOP twice ;)

Clearly you haven't met my wife! :D

She's probably just being deliberately stubborn to drive you crazy, as payback for making her use this complicated MediaPortal instead of buying her a nice simple (and expensive) Set Top Box :D

You said she "doesn't understand the whole paused TV thing and why she looses the stream." I can understand that it can be annoying and confusing if the user stops a paused programme and then can't get back what they missed, but I'm not sure the STOP dialog really helps with that. A dialog with a big warning that only comes up when trying to STOP timeshifted/paused TV as you suggested might be helpful in that respect though and to make it extra safe, maybe make it STOP to bring up the dialog and then OK to actually stop, to avoid accidentally pressing STOP twice quickly before the user realises what they're doing.

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Another vote for making this configurable please devs.

(i.e. I'd like the option to just press stop once and have TV stop, I don't care if I lose the timeshift buffer)

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    +1 Hate the double click stop!

Why have it!?!?

To ensure that people don't do mistakes, a confirmation dialog was built into GUI?

A big annocyance for everybody else.....

Remove the dialog! The users that actually use this feature, should STOP pressing stop-button by mistake! :)

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think requiring Stop to be pressed twice is sufficient to avoid accidental stops, without needing a dialog. Just a time window during which the second Stop has to be received should do.

I think it is a really useful feature for the WAF, who doesn't understand the whole paused TV thing and why she looses the stream.

A couple of improvements might be:

1) Make it optional in the config so the feature can be turned on/off

2) Make the dialogue come up as it currently does, but have it time-out after 4 seconds (or a configurable time), this will mean that rather having a YES/NO option in the dialogue you could just have "Press OK/STOP to confirm you wish to stop the timeshifting of live TV". If OK or STOP is not pressed the dialogue disappears after 4 seconds, or if the back button is pressed it goes away instantly.

3) Have the TV Service detect if the current programme is running “live” or “timeshifted”, if it is “live” then just stop playback as soon as stop is pressed (since no timeshift file will be lost), but if it is “timeshifted” then make sure the dialogue is presented.

4) if you were to implement items 1, 2 and 3, then it might also be good to make it consistent and behave the same way whether you are in full-screen mode or in a menu display.

Just a thought.

Robbo100

+1

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the team is worried about people loosing their timeshift buffer, implement a feature that the TV server keeps the timeshift running for a configurable amount of time waiting for another client to connect. If you make this configurable you can have:
    0 -> Stop directly, as is now (but still without having to press Stop twice)
    2 minutes -> Allows a quick change of heart like Oooops, I did want to see this.
    10 minutes -> Allows me to stop watching in the living room, shut down the client there, go to the bedroom and pickup the show where I left it without even the need to hurry.

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog

implement a feature that the TV server keeps the timeshift running for a configurable amount of time
    For me: Best idea so far!:cool:
    Alfred

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The ability to park a stream would indeed be useful (mbuzina: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-releases-315/ability-park-tv-placeshifting-101844/), but that's a different matter.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how this behaviour can be such a major annoyance. Why do you all press stop from full screen? What do you wish to accomplish (apart from the obvious - stopping TV)? It can't be to shut down, because that doesn't require media playback to be stopped. It can't be going to EPG neither. Not wishing to watch a movie/listen to music either. What am I missing?

//W

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom