Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog (2 Viewers)

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
October 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Re: Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog

The ability to park a stream would indeed be useful, but that's a different matter.
Now I am sorry ;):
Why has that to be a different matter? I think the idea of mbuzina is great: It would fulfill the problems of some users (not mine) with pressing stop twice, and it would fullfill the wish for "stream parking". So, why not use 1 solution for 2 whishes?

Cheers
Alfred

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Re: Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog

The ability to park a stream would indeed be useful, but that's a different matter.
    Now I am sorry ;):
    Why has that to be a different matter? I think the idea of mbuzina is great: It would fulfill the problems of some users (not mine) with pressing stop twice, and it would fullfill the wish for "stream parking". So, why not use 1 solution for 2 whishes?

Stream parking should be implemented properly - so that there is no timeout based behavior. The server should wait as long as the stream is lifted from the parked state (by a separate UI selection probably).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how this behaviour can be such a major annoyance. Why do you all press stop from full screen? What do you wish to accomplish (apart from the obvious - stopping TV)? It can't be to shut down, because that doesn't require media playback to be stopped. It can't be going to EPG neither. Not wishing to watch a movie/listen to music either. What am I missing?

//W

I'm not sure what you're asking, but this thread is a request for different behaviour when stopping TV and that's certainly the main time I press stop from full screen. That's probably because that's what I use MP mostly for though and I do stop movies/music from fullscreen as well.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm not sure what you're asking, but this thread is a request for different behaviour when stopping TV and that's certainly the main time I press stop from full screen. That's probably because that's what I use MP mostly for though and I do stop movies/music from fullscreen as well.

I'm asking what you do /after/ you have turned TV off. I (we) use MP mainly for TV as well, and I (we) rarely have this need.

//W

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

I'm asking what you do /after/ you have turned TV off. I (we) use MP mainly for TV as well, and I (we) rarely have this need.

//W

Oh, OK. I either stop LiveTV before turning my TV off, either because I don't need it on as I'm concentrating on something on the PC and so want to save electricity (not just the TV but the PC as well) by not having TV running unnecessarily, or because I'm going out, so I quickly stop LiveTV and then turn off the TV.

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: Feature Request - Option to disable 'STOP live TV' dialog

Stream parking should be implemented properly - so that there is no timeout based behavior. The server should wait as long as the stream is lifted from the parked state (by a separate UI selection probably).
    Ok, I am not a dev, so there may be reasons to see it like this. For me, however, a configurable timeout (probably in addition to this "separate UI selection) would also be a "proper" implementation.
    Maybe even a wishable one: If the user forgets to lift the server from the parking state, this would be a possibility not to block the server forever...

Cheers
    Alfred

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Is there any progress on a solution?

The wife does not understand the press stop twice idea, nor being asked if she really wanted to turn off TV when that was clearly what she wanted to do. Plus, she merely hits the Watch TV button on the remote at the end of the day to turn off the whole system, not realizing that LiveTV is still running, even though the TV and Audio has turned off (I am usually running some background process so the PC does not hybernate). She thinks that pressing one button should be enough (well ... so do I ;) ).

Chuck

ob1

Portal Member
    November 26, 2007
    Home Country
    is there any news on if this will be changed? I have come back to MP after a few years and saw this dialog "blah blah timeshift buffer blah" and though it was unnecessary and pretty geeky. JUST an option to disable it would be great!
    What's happening in our setup is we push the power button to switch off for the night and that damn dialog pops up and prevents shutdown (because the TV is still streaming). I dont want to have to push stop before turning off and i dont want to have to push stop twice just to stop TV.

TyfoonGT

Portal Member
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes please!! Indeed just an option to not have this Dialog is all really needed!

p.s. the way it is implemented now also makes it impossible to work around this with my remote (logitech one) as I need to program an 'UP' and then 'OK' which in case I do this in other situation (eg after watching a movie) will cause a new action...

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    +1

Not logic to press an action button twice! If users don't want to stop TV, don't press the button!. If you accidentally press the button.......you fail.....power on TV again. Remove the warning........

I mainly use stop action when:
    -When entering other MePo Feature/plugin (sometimes annoying to have TV-running when navigating around)
    -Dropping frames(Restart of TV sometimes resolves this)
    -Restarting TV-server (Else I sometimes end up freezing MePo)

/Morten

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom