Finally working IP-TV solution for TV Server! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweVictor

Portal Member
August 4, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Anyone uses For the Record?

Hi again! Does anyone use For the Record successfully with this IPTV solution? I asked over here (For The Record - View topic - Recording only possible for one lineup - viewing for both) where sunsetdk got me thinking that it might be some kind of problem that the IPTV tuners are not recognized by for the record. The thing is - watching works, recording does not work.

Any thoughts?
/Victor

fermin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 1, 2008
    Zug
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Can this be used to stream data off a dreambox in my household?

SweVictor

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Can this be used to stream data off a dreambox in my household?

Well... The free IPTV filter supports UDP streams only (I think), so if that is what a dreambox sends out then yes, I suppose so... Otherwise, the elecard filter (look in the first post) supports a few other formats I think.

I suppose you also want some kind of IR blaster working? That I unfortunately know nothing about. ;)

/Victor

SweVictor

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi again everyone!

I realize is a lot to ask, but... For some reason For the Record cannot recognize IPTV tuners and hence no recording can be done. I was asked to ask here so here goes: Do anyone know more in-depth what is going on and why the IPTV tuner cannot be recognized just as the other tuners by For the Record? Would it even be possible to fix this problem or would it be very difficult?

I do have a bit of .net (c++ mostly) programming experience myself, but the I havent looked at neither the MediaPortal code or that of For the Record so I dont even know where to start looking.

Any ideas?
    /Victor

P.S. The original question (which has been answered as being not possible right now) was:
    • I use MediaPortal (with a separate TV server (WHS even though I'm a bit afraid to admit it))
    • I have two separate lineups (one with Hauppauge PVR-500 and one with IPTV tuners)
    • I have one channel group with the channels I want from each lineup (there is some overlap)
    • I have imported that group to 4tr

So far, so good. Now for the problem: I can watch shows from both lineups (via live in MediaPortal or live tv/radio inside 4tr (using VLC). However, whenever I schedule a recording on the IPTV lineup 4tr decides that it will not be possible to record it ("No card found to record program"). I can even set the recording of one such, currently running, show record it (which will fail) and still while the recording fails watch the show via 4tr!

Have I missed something really simple this time around also? How is this behaviour even possible??

Thanks everyone for helping me out!
    /Victor

P.P.S. :sorry:

mikeyko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Hi again everyone!

I realize is a lot to ask, but... For some reason For the Record cannot recognize IPTV tuners and hence no recording can be done. I was asked to ask here so here goes: Do anyone know more in-depth what is going on and why the IPTV tuner cannot be recognized just as the other tuners by For the Record? Would it even be possible to fix this problem or would it be very difficult?

I do have a bit of .net (c++ mostly) programming experience myself, but the I havent looked at neither the MediaPortal code or that of For the Record so I dont even know where to start looking.

Any ideas?
    /Victor

P.S. The original question (which has been answered as being not possible right now) was:
    • I use MediaPortal (with a separate TV server (WHS even though I'm a bit afraid to admit it))
    • I have two separate lineups (one with Hauppauge PVR-500 and one with IPTV tuners)
    • I have one channel group with the channels I want from each lineup (there is some overlap)
    • I have imported that group to 4tr

So far, so good. Now for the problem: I can watch shows from both lineups (via live in MediaPortal or live tv/radio inside 4tr (using VLC). However, whenever I schedule a recording on the IPTV lineup 4tr decides that it will not be possible to record it ("No card found to record program"). I can even set the recording of one such, currently running, show record it (which will fail) and still while the recording fails watch the show via 4tr!

Have I missed something really simple this time around also? How is this behaviour even possible??

Thanks everyone for helping me out!
    /Victor

P.P.S. :sorry:

I am not familiar with 4tr, it should work out of the box if it is coded properly. Maybe it is only needed to compile 4tr against patched tvserver libraries

SweVictor

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I am not familiar with 4tr, it should work out of the box if it is coded properly. Maybe it is only needed to compile 4tr against patched tvserver libraries

Ok, maybe it does, I dont know how the communication actually works, but I will relay the info.

Thanks
    /Victor

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    The source code for For The Record's recorder/tuner for MP TV server is available here: https://mp-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mp-plugins/trunk/plugins/ForTheRecord/

There is code to allocate a card for a recording, based on the card's tuning details for a particular channel. So maybe this is where it's going wrong since I'm sure IP-TV has different tuning details... Or perhaps SweVictor should give a detailed report of what exactly goes wrong with recordings (don't they get allocated? do they fail to start with an error? ...)

The most ideal solution to the whole issue is that an IP/TV recorder/tuner would be written, simplyfing the connection between IP-TV and For The Record, but this is only something I can suggest for someone else to take on as a project since neither Steph nor I currently have the time to work on this.

SweVictor

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The source code for For The Record's recorder/tuner for MP TV server is available here: https://mp-plugins.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mp-plugins/trunk/plugins/ForTheRecord/

There is code to allocate a card for a recording, based on the card's tuning details for a particular channel. So maybe this is where it's going wrong since I'm sure IP-TV has different tuning details... Or perhaps SweVictor should give a detailed report of what exactly goes wrong with recordings (don't they get allocated? do they fail to start with an error? ...)

The most ideal solution to the whole issue is that an IP/TV recorder/tuner would be written, simplyfing the connection between IP-TV and For The Record, but this is only something I can suggest for someone else to take on as a project since neither Steph nor I currently have the time to work on this.

Okay, sounds quite close to what I thought myself. About the details, the recording never gets allocated at all. I suppose that For the Record tries to allocate a tuner for that particular channel at that particular time but fails to recognize the IpTv tuner as a tuner for that channel at all. Thats really the reason the problem annoys me - 4tr doesnt even seem to be trying to record :)

Anyway, thanks for all help and insight to how things are working. Maybe if I get some time in the feature I could have a look at things, but for now it feels I dont really have the time to get a grip on MP/4tr enough to solve this problem.

Thanks again and thanks for a well-written IpTV filter and tuner!

/Victor

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Okay, sounds quite close to what I thought myself. About the details, the recording never gets allocated at all. I suppose that For the Record tries to allocate a tuner for that particular channel at that particular time but fails to recognize the IpTv tuner as a tuner for that channel at all. Thats really the reason the problem annoys me - 4tr doesnt even seem to be trying to record :)
    That confirms my suspicion. Simply fixing the allocation code by adding support for (probably) new tuning details could very well be the only fix that is needed.

And if that's the case it should be fairly easy to add.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Noone had the time or energy to have a closer look at this in the mean time I guess? :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom