Follw.it Support - Discussion & Feedback (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Follw.it Support - Discussion & Feedback

Hello.
    follw.it is growing. Really great, thanks.
    But I have a little problem. I can't mark an episode as "unwatched"... If I uncheck "seenIT" the green mark disapears. But next time the page is loaded, the mark is back. Other way round this works. I can mark an unwatched episode as watched. This change is stored in database.
    Looks like this database field can only be written one time. I discoverd this as I thought having trouble with the syncing, asl lots of episodes I recently watched are not shown up on forum badge. Looking onto the Logfiles these episodes seems to be already marked as watched. Sometimes this was true as I have seen those before. But most of the Time this isn't true as I've got these episodes for the first time ever.
    Maybe someone can look after this. Thanks.

ZealotSix

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: AW: Follw.it Support - Discussion & Feedback

Hello.
    But I have a little problem. I can't mark an episode as "unwatched"... If I uncheck "seenIT" the green mark disapears. But next time the page is loaded, the mark is back.

Fixed, thanks!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Follw.it Support - Discussion & Feedback

Hi.
    Thanks for fixing this.

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello, I've a problem with Follw.it. I've more than 300 movies, but my online profile shows only 163. Looking in MovingPictures.log I can see some errors, but I'm not able to understand what is causing it....

Log attached,
    Thanks.

edit:
    *** re-posted to the right forum section. Thanks to Inker.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Looks like the connection timed out to me.
    But this is Moving-Pictures related, so probably best to move this over there?

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Going into the MP-TV Series configuration seems to trigger it to sync the watched status with follw.it. Unfortunately this appears to be generating a network request for each watched episode and on my system it goes through them at about 2 per second.

The log shows: "Finished update synchronization. Acted on 2208/2217 events. (00:17:35.8593917)"

With thousands of watched episodes, this will become untenable. A better solution would be for MP-TV Series to send a request to follw.it for a single file containing all watched episodes and transmit that (and visa versa if appropriate). That might mean the server side does a bit of work, but I can't see this current approach working for anyone with more than a few dozen watched episodes. On my system with >10,000, if they were all watched then this current process would take over an hour.

God, I really hope this isn't happening in the background when I start up MediaPortal. Can someone confirm this so I know whether I need to disable the follw.it functionality.

Also as a seperate curiosity, the log shows that it finds 10361 supported video files in my import paths, but follw.it only sees about 10,100. I'll look into this discrepancy further but the format of the follw.it site doesn't really facilitate checking series and episodes on this scale. But I can check my logs and also see if there problems at my end. (The parser doesn't find any errors other than the 11 I already know and accept).

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Going into the MP-TV Series configuration seems to trigger it to sync the watched status with follw.it. Unfortunately this appears to be generating a network request for each watched episode and on my system it goes through them at about 2 per second.

The log shows: "Finished update synchronization. Acted on 2208/2217 events. (00:17:35.8593917)"
    Can you please post full debug logs? It is difficult to for us to understand the sequence of events that is occurring without context. There does seem to be something amiss here.

I assure you though, we are not resending watch flags every time you launch MediaPortal, this would be ridiculous. What is happening here is your system is receiving a list of events from the server. If for example you rated two episodes on the website, your installation of MediaPortal would immediately (or the next time you launched) receive notification of these actions. This allows MPTV-Series to set these ratings locally as well. For some reason you are receiving a list of 2000+ events and MP-TVSeries is taking an extremely long time to process them (which in itself is odd as these actions are performed locally, I would expect even 100,000 events to process in a few seconds).

As for the episode count being different inside MediaPortal vs. on the follw.it website, this could possibly be attributed to a TV Series that follw.it does not index.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan

The reason it sent 2000 events is because after I added all my tv episodes into MP-TV Series, I then wanted to mark most of them watched (hopefully once and for all). I use the configuration app to do this quickly. However, at some future point it then wants to sync all these with follw.it. At that point, it clearly is doing it one record at a time, and I can watch it very slowly sending each episode's watched flag, one at a time, to the website.

It makes sense that it needs to sync, but the manor of doing it one record at a time is incredibly slow. Even if it sent 10 records at a time (say, comma-delimited or something), it would reduce the elapsed time to almost 1/10th, or 9 minutes instead of 90 minutes for my large collection.

So my comment wasn't to report a bug where you need the log files, it's just to say that the current approach doesn't really work for large amounts of syncing. I know that this would normally only be a one-off, but in reality it's not - due to the ever changing nature of Media Portal, the occasional re-build, adding large numbers of episode at once, having to rebuild the database, etc. it's likely that I have to do this every few months.

Doing single-record transactions across the Internet when there are possibly hundreds or thousands of records requiring syncing doesn't seem like a good use of network bandwidth, interrupts, and cpu on both sides.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    The reason it sent 2000 events is because after I added all my tv episodes into MP-TV Series, I then wanted to mark most of them watched (hopefully once and for all). I use the configuration app to do this quickly. However, at some future point it then wants to sync all these with follw.it. At that point, it clearly is doing it one record at a time, and I can watch it very slowly sending each episode's watched flag, one at a time, to the website.

It makes sense that it needs to sync, but the manor of doing it one record at a time is incredibly slow. Even if it sent 10 records at a time (say, comma-delimited or something), it would reduce the elapsed time to almost 1/10th, or 9 minutes instead of 90 minutes for my large collection.

So my comment wasn't to report a bug where you need the log files, it's just to say that the current approach doesn't really work for large amounts of syncing. I know that this would normally only be a one-off, but in reality it's not - due to the ever changing nature of Media Portal, the occasional re-build, adding large numbers of episode at once, having to rebuild the database, etc. it's likely that I have to do this every few months.

Doing single-record transactions across the Internet when there are possibly hundreds or thousands of records requiring syncing doesn't seem like a good use of network bandwidth, interrupts, and cpu on both sides.
    Dir, please do not take this the wrong way but you are rather confused about how our code works. We are well aware of the cost of a single request to a webserver and for this reason we send requests in bulk whenever possible. For example here is the method that handles a list of watched flag status changes. If you flag an entire series that contains 150 episodes as watched, this will generate one request to the follw.it server for all 150 episodes.

The single line of logging you have posted however has little to do with sending local events to the server. The 2000+ events were received from follw.it. These were probably the large number of watched rating you set before. They would be resent to your local system if you have disabled and then reenabled the follw.it service in MPTV-Series or if you are setting up a secondary HTPC. In these situations this is normal because your local system has no record of ever connecting to follw.it. What is not normal is for this process itself to take 17 minutes, it should complete very quickly. Something is going wrong here. This is a bug. But we can not help you resolve this bug if you do not post debug log files.

So again can you please post your log files so we can try to determine what is going on here?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom