For The Record 1.3.3 Released (1 Viewer)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Just spent a week using FTR and found it excellent, when combined with a 14 day epg downloaded by WebEPG.
:D

A issue which does apply to mediaportal as well, if there is no broadcast on a channel BBC3\4 for example it says no data, but if you supplement with dvbepg you can get both lots of information combined in FTR :), so it shows "channel off air", applies to a few other channels as well, so although FTR does not recommend having dvbepg enabled, i did not find any problem, MP itself would just overwrite the files with the dvb info :(, where as FTR fills in the gaps :)
What we recommend is more subtle, but not clear from the UI indeed: we recommend that XMLTV is your primary source of data simply because it's normally so much richer, it will give you actor information, etc... But like you discovered: DVB-EPG can be used to fill in gaps, or correct your XMLTV data. Our importer is very "nice" in that respect, it will always try to do the "best thing" with the data it is provided given the fact that there may already be data in the database.

Now the downside, if you use dvb radio there is no support in FTR for this, so you cannot access radio if you have the TVPlugin disabled and using FTR for TV control :(
Yes, we do not support radio channels yet. Can't promise this for 1.3.1 (which will be more of a maintenance release) but we'll add it to the list of things to add support for.

That was the only thing i could find, besides Doc's don't tell you to put tv logo's in service folder, but that's being pickey ;)
Ah, we should fix that :)

Standby was handled by the OS, had to setup a couple of windows tasks to run WebEpg and move resulting file with a script, also still needed MPStandbyHander to handle resume with my TV card, but all this was pretty straightforward and worked a charm.
Great to hear that!

So thanks to the FTR team for doing a great job.
:D once more :D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just got reminded when looking at flokel's post about entering live fullscreen tv by default (option exists with MP TVPlugin) when selecting TV from home screen, any idea if\when this may be added, that todo list must be constantly growing :)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Just got reminded when looking at flokel's post about entering live fullscreen tv by default (option exists with MP TVPlugin) when selecting TV from home screen, any idea if\when this may be added, that todo list must be constantly growing :)
    It's small things like these that will get priority for 1.3.1 :)

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmm... I'm a bit confused by all the server/client and plugins. Also, I'm completely new to xmltv.

Let's see if I get this right...

I have tuned the chanels in the TV Server Configuration. I can play them in MP and all.
    I have set up the xmltv mapping by using the WebEPG-conf.exe (in the MediaPortal's program directory).
    I have grabbed the xmltv information from internet by running WebEPG.exe (also in the MediaPortal's program directory).

Now there is a TVguide.xml file deep down in the Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/xmltv/ folder.

Here are my two questions:

How do I update the TVguide.xml file automatically? By using the xmltv plugin in the TV Server Configuration?

By reading the FTR installation guide I understand that I should copy/move this file to the Services/XMLTV/ folder. How can I do this automatically?

Thanks in advance!

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    How do I update the TVguide.xml file automatically? By using the xmltv plugin in the TV Server Configuration?

Create a batch file which you schedule with windows scheduler.

Depends on how you get your XMLTV-file. Do you use WebEPG (or similar) for grabbing or do you have a provider from which you can download the actual XMLTV file?

I have the latter, so I am just using the XMLTV plugin to download the file (with the remote tab) and have the "Folder where xmltv guide is stored" set to "C:\Program Files\For The Record\Services\XMLTV". THis way the XMLTV gets downloadet to this folder and 4TheRecord picks it up.

If you use a grabber, I suppose you could specify in the grabber where you want the XMLTV-file to be stored. Again, you just point that to "C:\Program Files\For The Record\Services\XMLTV" (or whatever your For The Record folder is) and it's working.

I have no idea how to create a batch-file or why you would even need to. Perhaps Sunsetdk can shed some light on that. Maybe in some grabbers it is not possible to change the output-path?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Maybe in some grabbers it is not possible to change the output-path?

WebEPG you cannot change the folder with, so a simple batch file will do this for you, something like

move /Y "F:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\xmltv\tvguide.xml" "F:\Program Files\For The Record\Services\XMLTV\tvguide.xml"

works a treat, and just add a schedule to move the file 15 mins after the webepg update takes place.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This sounds absolutely great.

I have computer in the attick that runs from 07:00 to 0:30 and is used as file server to MP (3x 500 MB on USB2) and to get the EPG (mc2xml). I access it through remote desktop from my development PC. Works great. I'm planning to use this machine as a TV server as well. I would move my two Black Gold DVB-T tuners from the living room PC to this server. The computers are connected over a 1GB network.

My server is a Dell optiplex GX270 with a Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and running XP pro SP3.

What are the H/W requirements to run FTR properly?

VdR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom