For The Record 1.6 (3 Viewers)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
The problem I've had with 4thRecord is two fold.
1.) The mysql connector is unbearably slow. Such that, it might as well not be included with release.
In what way? Importing XMLTV guide data is quite a bit slower in MySQL than in SQL Express, we've noticed this as well. But since the exact same code is running for both I'd rather look at MySQL instead of For The Record for the reason why...

2.) Despite having more than one tuner, if a recording is taking place, I can not play live TV.
Did you check your card's cam-limit is set higher than 1 in TV server config? Standard TV server takes a 0 cam-limit as "anything goes", but For The Record always looks at the cam-limit and it needs to be set high enough.

omayhemo

Portal Member
August 13, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

In what way? Importing XMLTV guide data is quite a bit slower in MySQL than in SQL Express, we've noticed this as well. But since the exact same code is running for both I'd rather look at MySQL instead of For The Record for the reason why...

Importing the XMLTV guide is exactly what I'm talking about. Importing via the native MP 1.0 plugin takes seconds. Importing through 4TR took hours. I can eliminate MySQL as the cause, considering MP operates without flaw. I have not had the opportunity to take a look at your code, considering you've generously published it as open source. So I can't fathom why MySQL is so slow where MSSQLEx is not.

Did you check your card's cam-limit is set higher than 1 in TV server config? Standard TV server takes a 0 cam-limit as "anything goes", but For The Record always looks at the cam-limit and it needs to be set high enough.

I did not check this. My cards are not CAM enabled.
:D

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium

Importing the XMLTV guide is exactly what I'm talking about. Importing via the native MP 1.0 plugin takes seconds. Importing through 4TR took hours. I can eliminate MySQL as the cause, considering MP operates without flaw. I have not had the opportunity to take a look at your code, considering you've generously published it as open source. So I can't fathom why MySQL is so slow where MSSQLEx is not.
MediaPortal basically "dumps" the XMLTV data into its database, making it very fast. For The Record actually processes the XMLTV data, indexing it to make searches faster, etc... So it's a slower import, but you get that back in another way :)

It seems that MySQL has a harder time keeping up with our indexing tables than SQL Express. I'm not enough of a database connaiseur to be able to explain this... :(

omayhemo

Portal Member
August 13, 2009
I'm a lot less worried about using SQLex over MySQL than I am the fact my dual tuners did not work.
Can you explain the cam limit problem? My cards are Hauppauge HVR850 and HVR960 and I do not use cable or satelite so I don't have encryption and the cards are not CAM enabled. Should I enable the CAM on the cards despite these facts?

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
It's perhaps a bit deceptive yes, but For The Record simply checks the cam-limit even if you don't have a CAM, just to keep track of what can be allocated to what card.

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I need to record the most recent 7 episodes of a daily cable TV show e.g. BBC news on an HD channel. I need it to only keep 7 days (or 7 occurrences) and to auto delete older recordings.

Will this plug-in do this or will a default MP install do this somehow?

My problem was that I set up an auto record with default MP and forgot to delete the old shows.
After several days the HD filled up and I had to manually delete the old shows.
I tried to find out how to auto delete but could not.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I need to record the most recent 7 episodes of a daily cable TV show e.g. BBC news on an HD channel. I need it to only keep 7 days (or 7 occurrences) and to auto delete older recordings.

Will this plug-in do this or will a default MP install do this somehow?

My problem was that I set up an auto record with default MP and forgot to delete the old shows.
    After several days the HD filled up and I had to manually delete the old shows.
    I tried to find out how to auto delete but could not.

Both, TVE3 and 4TR should be able to handle the automatic deletion. I have never used that feature from TVE3, but there is a setting how many episodes to keep.

omayhemo

Portal Member
    August 13, 2009
    It's perhaps a bit deceptive yes, but For The Record simply checks the cam-limit even if you don't have a CAM, just to keep track of what can be allocated to what card.

I felt I should report that this is indeed the case. I enabled cam and changed the cam-limit on both tuners and was able (from within 4TR management console) to record a program and begin stream on another live one.

Because I'm testing remotely I haven't yet tried inside of MP, but I'm assuming the problem is solved.

I look forward to using 4TR!! Thanks for your immediate and accurate help.

MiamiBeach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2008
    Miami Beach, FL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is actually the one reason I stopped using For The Record.

I have a single tuner (Hauppauge PVR-150) and often record shows that run consecutive on the same channel (see this post for more details). Unfortunately, unless the clock in my HTPC was exactly in sync with the moment the programs switch, it is impossible to keep each show in its entirety on each recording (and even if that was the case it seems like a few seconds are always lost between recordings even if on the same channel). TV Server seems to do this with no problem, but for some reason, For The Record relies on the CAM limit to do this, which on my TV Tuner, cannot be changed from 0. I even tried changing the CAM Limit manually in the database as suggested, but that didn't change anything, and as soon as I returned to the TV Server screen, the CAM Limits would be set back to their normal values.

Honestly, I still don't understand why 2 consecutive recordings on the same channel require having a CAM Limit > 1 in order for each recording to have their own pre- and post- recording times.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    PVR-150 is an analog card if I'm not mistaken, so the CAM limit will not be looked at, as no simultaneous recordings can be made on an analog card.

So I'm not sure what your problem was with consecutive recordings, normally For The Record should simply stop and restart the recording for each program.
    And I don't see how TV server would be "better" at this, it won't be able to record the two shows simultaneously either.

Could you clarify how TV server does this better? Am I mistaken and can it actually record the two programs at once?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom