Get Involved in MP2 TV Server Development? (1 Viewer)

CadErik

Portal Member
May 2, 2006
I would really like to be involved in the MP2 TV Server and add more scheduling options (I am coming from SageTV). I am an experienced .NET developer.
What is the current status of the MP2 TV Server?

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi CadErik,

we appreciate any help in MP2 development, escpecially in the TV part (y).

The TV part consists of multiple components:
    A first public MP2-TV testbuild is available here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/testbuilds-for-native-mp2-tv.114068/. I plan to release an update soon, but need to fix some issues before.

Some more related topics:

The main development tasks are currently:
    • Merging the /EXP-TVE3.5-MP1-MP2 with MP1 /master, this has some conflicts on which @gibman and @Sebastiii are working
    • Bringing in more features to the Tve3.5 core, scanning improvements a.s.o. Here is @mm1352000 working
    • Extending the MP2 GUI, adding new features like Radio section, screens for editing schedules, searching EPG etc. (my part, @Bavarian)
    The normal MP1-Tve3.5 plugins are currently not working when they run inside MP2 as host. This is fairly simple to fix, the check depends on assembly versions.

I could imagine to build more advanced scheduling features based on @huha 's TvWishlist and the already existing MP2 GUI for it.

I'm always open for new suggestions and will answer questions asap :)

Bye
    Morpheus

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    wow ... my first posts since days.
    Influenza was nearly killing me.

The datamodel in the new common tvengine already has some support for persisting custom rule based scheduling rules.

eg. record all programs on channel "x" that has "y" in title.

creating those rules are currently done in within the new modified setupTV under the schedules tab.

so there is already done some work here :)

it is my plan to resume this work in the near future.

/gibman

CadErik

Portal Member
    May 2, 2006
    I could imagine to build more advanced scheduling features based on @huha 's TvWishlist and the already existing MP2 GUI for it.

I'm always open for new suggestions and will answer questions asap :)

One feature I really like in SageTV is that it remembers all the watched shows (based on show id I suppose), so that way when you set a movie or an episode watched, it will not record it again. Also you can set something as watched directly from the TV guide and last place where that is used is when you delete a recording, SageTV asks if that recording was already watched or simply delete. Finally the watched status is used to delete the watched shows first when place is needed.
    I looked at implementing that feature with Media Portal 1.2 and if I recall correctly it would require a database change which was not possible at the time but I suppose there is still room with MP2.0.
    Is this something anyone else would be interested in? If so, how do you see it implemented?

Cheers

Erik.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    in order to have the scheduler engine skip an episode you would simply have to add a new record to the canceledschedule table indicating the episode in question.

The scheduler always looks at the canceledschedules table for new entries and skipping those episodes it finds.

So in your example you want to implement this in the tvguide - then you will have to look at tvplugin codebase.

/gibman

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So in your example you want to implement this in the tvguide - then you will have to look at tvplugin codebase.

Wouldn't it be cleaner to have a rule that would check if the episode has already been recoreded (exist in DB) instead of polluting the DB with hundreds of cancelled recordings?

CadErik

Portal Member
    May 2, 2006

Wouldn't it be cleaner to have a rule that would check if the episode has already been recoreded (exist in DB) instead of polluting the DB with hundreds of cancelled recordings?
    In an ideal world, all the watched shows should already be in the database, but at least here in Canada, the EPG is not very consistent and the recordings show up with slightly differently metadata.
    Also the case is once you delete the shows you already watched, you don't want them to get recorded again (not certain if they would still be in the database?). If a channel was to have a whole day marathon of a previous season you already watched, your drive will be filled fast with shows you have already seen.
    It sounds to me like the cancelled recording would make sense, or would there be a different table that would keep the history of recorded and watched shows?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It sounds to me like the cancelled recording would make sense, or would there be a different table that would keep the history of recorded and watched shows?

But to be able to cancel a recording you still need to know when to cancel it? So it requires the same amount of history data. Maybe there should be some history table for the recordings that have been done - something that wont be cleaned up when a recording is deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread