[NVIDIA] GT430 vs GT520 (2 Viewers)

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just ordered the Asus GT 430, the weekend is saved:p

What's the buzz about the Tesla drivers (or why should I use 'em)?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What's the buzz about the Tesla drivers (or why should I use 'em)?

It goes back to the early days of the drivers for the 'Fermi' based cards (more than a year ago) - some of them were terrible for video, playback would stutter or pause for half a second or more frequently. People started trying the Tesla and Quadro drivers to see if they were any better, and discovered that some Tesla versions did help with the problems.

Basically, it appears that the core nVidia drivers are the same across the GeForce/Quadro/Tesla variants. but the GeForce drivers are optimised towards gaming performance - the Tesla/Quadro drivers seem have better 'balanced' overall performance.

I run Quadro/Tesla 276.42 drivers, but I haven't tried any of the 28x or later GeForce drivers, so I don't how they really compare.

Tony

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    I have used 28x and 29x GeForce drivers and now started with Tesla/Quadro. Shift+1 seems relly much better. With GeForce drivers there were difficulties with adaptive deinterlacing. Have had to switch to less agresive.

Using Tesla adaptive is going fine, plus HDTV 1080i is almost fluent, now have to wait for the same goodness from MP to play nice (as it is becoming now better and better every realease :) )

Also about settings - I use SAF 6.0.5 for now and swithced on LAV Video with CUVID. Default settings. Also LAV video is playing fine for me with Intel QuickSync acceleration ON on laptop at work.

Arturas

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I got my ASUS 430 card today, installed low profile bracket but the cooling part is too tall for my case. :/ I'll still be using it though as I'm crazy like that. Will try the aforementioned drivers later tonight.

Emph

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Download the drivers (for Win7 64-bit) from here - NVIDIA DRIVERS 276.42 WHQL

Use something like 7-zip to extract the driver folders from the downloaded .exe, then go into the 'Display.Driver' folder - you should see a 'nv_disp.inf' file, make a backup copy of it, then replace it with the modified inf file attached below. Install the drivers by running 'setup.exe' from the top level folder - you'll get a warning because they are no longer 'signed' drivers.

And of course it's not my fault if it all goes pear shaped and wrecks your system :) (but seriously, always create a Windows system protection/restore snapshot before doing something like this - it only takes a minute and it's the easiest way to roll things back if you have problems).

Tony

Note: the attached .inf file is only for the Quadro/Tesla 64-bit 276.42 drivers linked to above.

Is there a 32bit version of the .inf required?

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Is there a 32bit version of the .inf required?

I found this when I searched (via Guru3D): Quadro 276.42 - download tag - Softpedia
    The installer won't work then without extracting etc? I'm currently using the driver that I had installed for my ASUS 9400 GT card (that I removed to install my ASUS 430) and it works surprisingly fine (performs better than my 9400 GT and I can finally get 1080p @ 24fps :) ) so I'm a bit hesitant to try any other driver atm.

Emph

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I just keep reading all these guys with the 430 cards and Tesla drivers are supposed to be the nuts. This is my first external graphics card for years so I was just bowing to experience :)

I found the 32bit version of the driver for Win 7 NVIDIA DRIVERS 276.42 WHQL but from what I can gather the driver isn't for the GT430 so the .inf needs replacing to trick it into installing?! I had a quick scout on the links from this thread and the .inf says 64bit so I guess I need another. When I'm not on my phone and can spend some time reading I guess I'll have another look.

If this doesn't sort my HDTV frames dropping I might cry :) card should be here tomorrow!

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I didn't find much difference between the 276 Teslas & the current 290 betas. Both gave flat graphs for me.

Editing the inf isn't actually that hard. I'll do some step by step instructions with screenshots when I get a chance (maybe tomorrow or the weekend). Basically you find the hardware ID for your GPU in device manager & then add it to the list of GPUs in the inf in the various sections (2 or 3 all up) in the same format as the other GPUs listed.

I'm back to testing an HD6570 card ATM. I hate to say it, but I think it's better.:oops::sorry:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    And people wonder why the Asus has such a big heatsink

sshot-35.jpg

Saying that, I just heard one of these cards running with the sides off a pc using a stethoscope and its quiet, fans running at 40% playing game, next on my list if i5 does not live upto expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom