Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration (3 Viewers)

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
you have analog audio? audio connection type =?

I am running this on a ThinkPad T420. It has a Connexant sound card and a displayport for which I have an adapter for HDMI which I use to connect to my TV (the TV has internal speakers disables and pushes sound to my amp via optical). Does that help?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tachtevrenidis' Setup said:
    Laptop -> Display Port -> HDMI Adapter -> TV -> Optical -> Audio Receiver

Under Playback Devices -> HDMI -> Speaker Options:
    I only see stereo here, no option to select more than 2 speakers

You have an unusual setup, there are so many points where something could go wrong. eg. Display driver, Laptop doesn't support 5.1, Display adapter -> HDMI adapter breaks 5.1, TV is not setup correctly, etc...

The problem probably lies outside of MediaPortal, do you have 5.1 in other applications?

I can however suggest you try the following special diagnostic configuration (only for you) first.

MP Config: Audio Codec = LAV
    Don't mix stereo = Off
    Mixing = On
    Speakers = 5.1 (Even if you have 7.1 etc, choose 5.1 here)
    Convert layout to standard channels = On
    Bit-streaming: all off

MP Config: Audio Renderer = MPAR
    Speakers = 5.1
    Sample Rate = 48000
    Force up/down mix = Yes
    Event driven mode = Yes
    Exclusive mode = YES
    AC3 Encoding mode = FORCED
    Audio Device = HDMI

Now play 5.1 movie. Check info on TV+Amp via info button on remotes it should show 5.1, if not go into TV sound settings and adjust the optical. If above doesn't work then repeat with AC3 Encoding = Disabled/Off.

If above does not work then update display drives (This also updates sound driver). If still fails then contact Toshiba.

Also this:
    tempo.png

Last edited:

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2013
    Home Country
    Tachtevrenidis' Setup said:
    Laptop -> Display Port -> HDMI Adapter -> TV -> Optical -> Audio Receiver

Under Playback Devices -> HDMI -> Speaker Options:
    I only see stereo here, no option to select more than 2 speakers

You have an unusual setup, there are so many points where something could go wrong. eg. Display driver, Laptop doesn't support 5.1, Display adapter -> HDMI adapter breaks 5.1, TV is not setup correctly, etc...

The problem probably lies outside of MediaPortal, do you have 5.1 in other applications?

I can however suggest you try the following special diagnostic configuration (only for you) first.

MP Config: Audio Codec = LAV
    Don't mix stereo = Off
    Mixing = On
    Speakers = 5.1 (Even if you have 7.1 etc, choose 5.1 here)
    Convert layout to standard channels = On
    Bit-streaming: all off

MP Config: Audio Renderer = MPAR
    Speakers = 5.1
    Sample Rate = 48000
    Force up/down mix = Yes
    Event driven mode = Yes
    Exclusive mode = YES
    AC3 Encoding mode = FORCED
    Audio Device = HDMI

Now play 5.1 movie. Check info on TV+Amp via info button on remotes it should show 5.1, if not go into TV sound settings and adjust the optical. If above doesn't work then repeat with AC3 Encoding = Disabled/Off.

If above does not work then update display drives (This also updates sound driver). If still fails then contact Toshiba.

Also this:
    View attachment 133720

thanks. I will try this later today and report. It is weird I don't have 5.1 on my configuration settings.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

I noticed some problems playing back Stereo AAC .ts files in MediaPortal 1.5 while using the default audio render and SPDIF optical.

So I need your help!

Can someone with MediaPortal 1.3 or MediaPortal 1.4 and optical spdif audio connection please playback the following 5mb sample recording.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j6nhcg
    codec.png
    Please set audio codecs to LAV and Audio renderer to default (NOT MPAR). Please reply with whether you have audio or not. Please mention all the audio devices that are listed when you press SHIFT+1, and mention your brand + model of audio receiver (so I can check if it does aac bitstreaming, as I really want to check with AVRs that don't do AAC bitsreaming). If possible also post directshow graph screenshot (instead of listing the codecs in SHIFT+1).

Please only test if you have optical SPDIF connection

Thanks
    Kiwi

Last edited:

robhawk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 20, 2008
    Thuringia
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just wanted to say: Great guide! Although i already know most of it, i got some new detailed things, like the correct LAV/MPAR-Settings.(y)

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Can someone with MediaPortal 1.3 or MediaPortal 1.4 and optical spdif audio connection please playback the following 5mb sample recording.

Did the test and everything is perfect. I'm used to this kind of files because all my recordings are like that. Hauppauge Colossus on HD STB plugged with RCA for sound.

aac.ts.graph.jpg aac.ts.test.jpg

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Did the test and everything is perfect. I'm used to this kind of files because all my recordings are like that. Hauppauge Colossus on HD STB plugged with RCA for sound.

View attachment 134776 View attachment 134777

RCA =/= SPDIF. But still thank you anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1376628085][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I hope this is what you are looking for.
    If not, tell me what you need

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. You posted wrong sreenshot from mpconfig, but it doesn't matter because the other screenshot shows the codes that are used. So I just have 3 questions. 1. That Realtek digital is optical and not toslink? 2. Can you confirm that you heard audio during the video. 3. Can you tell me what model your receiver is?

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    Realtek is optical from Shuttle computer
    Audo came from center channel with possible stereo support
    JVC RX-778V
    Optical from Shuttle into JVC DVD Digital imput