Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration (4 Viewers)

deviate

Portal Member
July 20, 2010
I followed everything in the guide but I have a question regarding the audio renderer. For the speaker setup in MPAR setting, what's the difference between 5.1 and 5.1 Surround? Also, I have a SPDIF connection to my receiver and I have to put AC3 encoding to auto so I can get sound from my receiver. But now my receiver displays DD instead of DTS. I'm guessing because it was re-encoded in AC3. However when I used to do LAV audio bitstreaming with DTS, it would display DTS on my receiver. My question is now that I'm using MPAR and re-encoding it to AC3 and it displays DD, am I still getting DTS quality? Do I lose out on sound quality now that I'm using MPAR? Thanks.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    quality loss should be negligible/non existant, and the gain in video smoothness fair outweighs this. @tourettes - Difference between 5.1 & 5.1 surround?

Last edited:

deviate

Portal Member
    July 20, 2010
    quality loss should be negligible/non existant, and the gain in video smoothness fair outweighs this. @tourettes - Difference between 5.1 & 5.1 surround?

So even though it's re-encoded with AC3 and shows up as DD on my receiver, it's really DTS audio from the original file? Yeah it's weird in the MPAR audio settings, under speaker setup, I see stereo, surround, 5.1, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround. I have a 5.1 system so I'm not sure what the difference would be if I set it up with 5.1 or 5.1 surround?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    RCA =/= SPDIF. But still thank you anyway.

I'm plugged S/PDIF from PC to my ONKYO HT-430 receiver (MPClient). My STB is plugged in the colossus (component+RCA sound) in the TVserver in the basement.

Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Last edited:

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland

Sadly I wrote that code so long ago now that I forget exactly what the difference was, but the channel layouts are different...

In most media input channels and output channels are a direct mapping to the same number:
    {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7}
    Input channel 0 is mapped to output channel 0 etc.

In one of the 5.1 setups (and I can't remember if this is surround or not) the channels are laid out as follows:
    {0,1,2,4,5,3,6,7}
    where input channel 3 is mapped to output channel 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 3.

Got curious enough that I went and looked it up;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound
    All the speaker setups are there (there are two 5.0 setups which can both become 5.1) in essence 5.1 and THX - you can count yourself lucky I removed the speaker lists once I realised it was THX :).

Last edited:

deviate

Portal Member
    July 20, 2010

Sadly I wrote that code so long ago now that I forget exactly what the difference was, but the channel layouts are different...

In most media input channels and output channels are a direct mapping to the same number:
    {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7}
    Input channel 0 is mapped to output channel 0 etc.

In one of the 5.1 setups (and I can't remember if this is surround or not) the channels are laid out as follows:
    {0,1,2,4,5,3,6,7}
    where input channel 3 is mapped to output channel 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 3.

Got curious enough that I went and looked it up;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound
    All the speaker setups are there (there are two 5.0 setups which can both become 5.1) in essence 5.1 and THX - you can count yourself lucky I removed the speaker lists once I realised it was THX :).

Now I'm more confused :( So you do you recommend I use 5.1 or 5.1 surround in the MPAR configuration settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom