Guide to the music section of mediaportal (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There are two files within the Thumbs\Music\Artists directory for every artist, small thumb and large thumb with L suffix. Not sure in which situations one is used over the other.

Examples:

Artist: "Madonna" Jpg name: "Madonna.jpg" + "MadonnaL.jpg"
    Artist: "A Perfect Circle" Jpg name: "A Perfect Circle.jpg" + "A Perfect CircleL.jpg"
    Artist: "Extra / Special : Character" Jpg name: "Extra _ Special _ Character.jpg" + "Extra _ Special _ CharacterL.jpg"

tscott

November 22, 2010
    I'm brand new to MP and just now figuring things out. The music is the one thing I was still having trouble with and I think this guide should take care of it...However, when I go to the Music section in MP Config, I only have Music Folders, Music Database and Music Import. How do I get Music Extensions, View, Sort, DSP, etc. as they appear in the screenshots?
    Am I missing a necessary plugin or something?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm brand new to MP and just now figuring things out. The music is the one thing I was still having trouble with and I think this guide should take care of it...However, when I go to the Music section in MP Config, I only have Music Folders, Music Database and Music Import. How do I get Music Extensions, View, Sort, DSP, etc. as they appear in the screenshots?
    Am I missing a necessary plugin or something?
    In config there is a standard mode and advanced mode. Switch to advanced mode in the top right hand corner and these menus will appear

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Could someone tell me how I would get the same view as in "Shares"?

I just want a long list with all my albums listed, sorted by artist A-Z. I spend 1 hour fiddling with the album views, but I can't get it going :(

I DON'T want to first select an artist, and then selecting an album. Just like shares view, please.

I have my music sorted in one folder per album, named as "Artist-Album".

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

I just want a long list with all my albums listed, sorted by artist A-Z. I spend 1 hour fiddling with the album views, but I can't get it going :(

I DON'T want to first select an artist, and then selecting an album. Just like shares view, please.

The albums view is one of the default views... it has albums sorted by A-Z then albums then tracks. If you want to remove the index A-Z page then in this view select the top line and put a d in the last column to delete it. (this will be much easier in 1.2 :D)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Check the first post in the guide, i have exactly that. It's all the albums listed sorted by artist. It has a thumb picture of each album, but if you want a text list then just press the arrows to navigate of the album wall and then change view mode to list.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Check the first post in the guide, i have exactly that. It's all the albums listed sorted by artist. It has a thumb picture of each album, but if you want a text list then just press the arrows to navigate of the album wall and then change view mode to list.

Is this the "Album Artist" view?

I want this view (no subfolders with artists first or anything, just one list with no folders or anything):

one.png

But currently my Album Artist view look like this:

two.png

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's Album view

musicsetup02.gif

blue3wide05.jpg

but change View As to from 'Big Icon List' to 'List' This will give you what you want

It will only display the album names, and they will be ordered by the artist but it wont display the artist in the actual list.

If you want the artist name included, you might be able create a custom [Music Sort] with format that includes artist.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you want the artist name included, you might be able create a custom [Music Sort] with format that includes artist.

This seems to be my major problem right now. I cannot figure out how to get artist - album showing up in the view :(

I tried making a custom sort with both %artist% - %album% and [%artist% - %album%]

:confused:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    That sort tab is very confusing and needs tweaking for 1.2. It only changes the tracks list not the others.

Just confused as you say you want no folders but it looks like you actually want a folder per album but show "album artist - album (year)" as the label?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom