Hardware to power on system using remote? How? (2 Viewers)

daisyb

September 14, 2005
What about the Comrpo T300 analogue/digital TV card?
This can be setup to switch on the machine using the remote. It includes a loopthrough cable to attach to the power-on connector on the mainboard so that when you press the standby button on the supplied remote it boots up.

AsGF2MX

Portal Member
August 27, 2005
ktg said:

Looks like I overlooked a lot :oops:

On another note, most of the solutions posted so far including the iMons, MCE remote, etc all depend on the USB port to be powered. The solution also requires you to route a USB cable all the way :?

The Compro card...I am still un certain about whether or not it comes from S5/S4 or just from S3/S1 :? But that's a TV card as well so excluding it the rest are just USB solutions :|

K

ktg

onkl + andinaegnaeg
onkl said:
Intuition would suggest that a externally powered USB hub might be an object of experiment for the less DIY prone among us.
An expensive example would be this
That's certainly right - I should've thought of that, but as a soldering iron addict the obvious solutions won't occur as long as there is something more complicated :oops:
Anyway, I wonder if either solution would do, because the USB controller on board has to be supplied as well to maintain the incoming signal. If there's a Bios option reading 'wake up on USB' or something like this, it should. But if this is the case, there should be mainboard options like jumpers or so as well to provide the port supply, else the Bios option wouldn't make any sense.

warped6

Portal Member
AsGF2MX said:
Looks like I overlooked a lot :oops:

On another note, most of the solutions posted so far including the iMons, MCE remote, etc all depend on the USB port to be powered. The solution also requires you to route a USB cable all the way :?

The Compro card...I am still un certain about whether or not it comes from S5/S4 or just from S3/S1 :? But that's a TV card as well so excluding it the rest are just USB solutions :|

I just got an iMon and haven't hooked it up completely yet. It comes with a ATX patch cable that plugs into the MB where the main power goes. You then attach your main power from the PSU to the other end of this cable. This patch cable has a pair of wires (must be power, it's a pair of black & red wires) that branches from the MB to the VFD panel. You also reroute your power on switch from the case to the panel and then from the panel to the MB with a different pair. How this all works I'm not sure but that's how the wires run.

I think the USB hook up is for the display and the remote. It looks like a normal internal USB connector and nothing it the documentation says anything in particular about it, although I haven't read through all of it yet.

I haven't finished hooking mine up because the ATX patch cable has the 4 extra wires you need for P4 MB's stuck on the end and my MB doesn't have room for it (I have a AMD cpu). So I'll need to dremel these extra 4 wires off before I can use it. :-(

Just my 2 cents worth,
Mike

AsGF2MX

Portal Member
August 27, 2005
warped6 said:
I just got an iMon and haven't hooked it up completely yet. It comes with a ATX patch cable that plugs into the MB where the main power goes. You then attach your main power from the PSU to the other end of this cable. This patch cable has a pair of wires (must be power, it's a pair of black & red wires) that branches from the MB to the VFD panel. You also reroute your power on switch from the case to the panel and then from the panel to the MB with a different pair. How this all works I'm not sure but that's how the wires run.

I think the USB hook up is for the display and the remote. It looks like a normal internal USB connector and nothing it the documentation says anything in particular about it, although I haven't read through all of it yet.

I haven't finished hooking mine up because the ATX patch cable has the 4 extra wires you need for P4 MB's stuck on the end and my MB doesn't have room for it (I have a AMD cpu). So I'll need to dremel these extra 4 wires off before I can use it. :-(

Just my 2 cents worth,
Mike

I get how it works...heck it's not kept power by the usb. If it needs the power on pins (mobo header and case switch wires) to go through the thing and still needs a tap from the ATX connector...the USB isn't kept powered...the iMon gets powered from the ATX connector...in your case the BTX connector :idea: Why not buy a normal ATX pass through and patch/tap it or buy a pre-tapped one?

warped6

Portal Member
AsGF2MX said:
I get how it works...heck it's not kept power by the usb. If it needs the power on pins (mobo header and case switch wires) to go through the thing and still needs a tap from the ATX connector...the USB isn't kept powered...the iMon gets powered from the ATX connector...in your case the BTX connector :idea: Why not buy a normal ATX pass through and patch/tap it or buy a pre-tapped one?

Any idea where I could get such a part? A pre-tapped one preferably. I don't have mad dremel skills and am worried about messing it up. I guess I've never seen one for sale. OK I've never had a reason to look. :)

Users who are viewing this thread