Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (5 Viewers)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

So I am about to get a video capture device and I cannot decide between the Hauppauge HD-PVR and the Colossus. I like the idea of the Colossus, but am a little afraid of the interface causing problems with the set up and maybe it taking resources from the computer vs the the chance that my cable box MAY allow unencrypted HDMI output (I'm not sure how to find out). The HD-PVR seems like a nice stand alone piece of equipment that could be switched between computers (in the future), but the set up to get it to changes the channels on my STB seems kind of hard. Also are there any problems with it's USB interface with my computer? Is this going to be fast enough? I want to record in at least 720p but maybe 1080i and I usually will not want to watch live TV. Mostly just want to save it into Media portal for later viewing.

I hope that this is the right place to post this kind of question (I figured you all would have the best knowledge base about this). I'm in the USA and using Charter Cable box and service. I'm running Media portal 1.2.0 and have a 4 core machine so it isn't a beast, but is fast enough)

Thanks
    Steve

PABeaver

Portal Member
    November 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    I am an HD-PVR owner and am considering switching entirely to the Colossus. The HD-PVR has had issues with heat and the power supply, which most users have had at one time or another. I believe a lot of posters in this thread started with the HD-PVR and switched. Either unit will easily record 720p or 1080i.

I would plan on using Component from the beginning as you are sure to run into encryption issues no matter where you are. There is a website (is it the HDHomerun forums?) that will list encrypted channels in your area.

As far as changing the channel you can use one of three methods. If you are only using 1 unit you can use the built in IR blaster, but this will not work with more than one HD-PVR/Colossus. You can use firewire (which is what I use) or USB-IRT which in my opinion are orders better than the built-in blaster.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    I am an HD-PVR owner and am considering switching entirely to the Colossus. The HD-PVR has had issues with heat and the power supply, which most users have had at one time or another. I believe a lot of posters in this thread started with the HD-PVR and switched. Either unit will easily record 720p or 1080i.

Thanks for the info. I have read on a few reviews that the Colossus can have some driver problems. Have you seen anyone with this type or problem?

I would plan on using Component from the beginning as you are sure to run into encryption issues no matter where you are. There is a website (is it the HDHomerun forums?) that will list encrypted channels in your area.

Since I will be using a feed from my STB, I suspect that it is an all or nothing when it comes to encryption. Is this wrong? The box contains a cable card that is suppose to un-encrypt the signal.

As far as changing the channel you can use one of three methods. If you are only using 1 unit you can use the built in IR blaster, but this will not work with more than one HD-PVR/Colossus. You can use firewire (which is what I use) or USB-IRT which in my opinion are orders better than the built-in blaster.

So I looked on the Colossus and I don't see an output that uses firewire. I also looked at the HD-PVR and I don't see an input for firewire, is it attached to a cable that plugs in that isn't on the regular pictures on say amazon.com

I see that there is an IR port in the back of my STB (see attached picture), could I just plug it from the Colossus into it to change the channel? I also see an ethernet port that I don't know what it is for and a USB (I don't think the one in the back is used for storage as there is a front port that seems to be used for thumb drives)

Thanks for the info
    -Steve

Attachments

• STB.jpg
      STB.jpg
      391.6 KB

PABeaver

Portal Member
    November 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    Since I will be using a feed from my STB, I suspect that it is an all or nothing when it comes to encryption.

It's not. Your broadcast stations will be unencrypted (by law) as well as maybe a handful of other channels (maybe). Using the component cables is the only way to guarantee that you will be able to record any channel you want.

So I looked on the Colossus and I don't see an output that uses firewire. I also looked at the HD-PVR and I don't see an input for firewire, is it attached to a cable that plugs in that isn't on the regular pictures on say amazon.com

You can use firewire if you have a firewire port on your computer. I bought a firewire card at my local computer shop for ~$10 which gave me 3 ports.

I see that there is an IR port in the back of my STB (see attached picture), could I just plug it from the Colossus into it to change the channel? I also see an ethernet port that I don't know what it is for and a USB (I don't think the one in the back is used for storage as there is a front port that seems to be used for thumb drives.

I am not familiar with that model of cable box, but the IR port on the back is probably for blasting to another unit like your receiver. You won't be able to plug the IR out into that port as it is an out port as well. The IR blaster on the HD-PVR/Colossus will have a cord that sticks onto the front of your STB where the STB reads the IR signal from the remote. This cord has a little IR light on the end of it that replicates your remote signal. The ethernet port and the USB port you probably will not be able to use to use to change the channel with and even if you could, it would probably take a lot of searching to figure out how to do it. The 1394 port on the back of your STB is indeed a firewire port.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Great. I have a firewire port on the back of my computer. So the firewire port on the back of my stb is or should be able to used for controlling the channel on the STB from my computer. Cool. Is this always the case and can you control other things like the power usually?
    I order both the card and the external PVR from amazon and will try them both out. If the card work (which I am hoping it wlll) then I will likely go with that. Thanks for the support
    -S

PABeaver

Portal Member
    November 12, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    Great. I have a firewire port on the back of my computer. So the firewire port on the back of my stb is or should be able to used for controlling the channel on the STB from my computer. Cool. Is this always the case and can you control other things like the power usually?
    I order both the card and the external PVR from amazon and will try them both out. If the card work (which I am hoping it wlll) then I will likely go with that. Thanks for the support
    -S

Awesome. Good luck and report back with your experience. For getting the firewire going checkout this thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/change-channels-on-your-stb-via-firewire.70929/

One thing to keep in mind with firewire is that your OS should be 32-bit. There are not drivers for 64-bit.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Awesome. Good luck and report back with your experience. For getting the firewire going checkout this thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/change-channels-on-your-stb-via-firewire.70929/

One thing to keep in mind with firewire is that your OS should be 32-bit. There are not drivers for 64-bit.

CRAP! My OS is 64 bit. Maybe I should downgrade. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks. Maybe I'll just go with the blaster setup.

Thanks again. I will be posting back for help I am sure.

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    I have used HD-PVRs for years. I have two. They have been nothing but trouble. I've tried everything -- fan mod to deal with heat issues, new power brick to deal with the defective power supplies, many different driver updates, dedicated NEC-based USB card, etc. When they work, they're great, but they are not reliable enough to be useful.

By contrast, I just installed a HD Colossus a little over a week ago. It has not crashed once.

Also, I used to use firewire for channel changing, but my provider (Comcast) forced a firmware update to my STB and then the firewire port was disabled. Since then, I've been using a USB-UIRT, and it is nearly flawless.

Just my two cents.

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    like jmvaughn, the colossus is lot more reliable, almost perfect. I tried HD-PVR, but i change it with the colossus as soon it cames out. The best thing you can do is to sell your two hd-pvr and buy 2 colossus. The extra 50$ for a USB-UIRT is a great idea too.

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks for the input. I just canceled my order for the HD-PVR from amazon as it had not shipped. I read some recient reviews that seemed to indicate possible bad cards being shipped from Amazon. I'll just have to try the Colossus out and yes I like the idea of the USB-UIRT. Dosen't the Colossus have an IR transmitter for changing STB channels? Maybe this won't work with media portal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom