Hauppauge PVR-500MCE - need 2 antenna cables? (1 Viewer)

Cato72

Portal Member
October 20, 2004
Oslo
Home Country
Norway Norway
I'm considering buying the new Hauppauge PVR-500MCE with dual TV-tuners. But I'm unsure if I need to feed it with TV signals from one or two antenna cables.

Anyone know this?

A

Anonymous

You may want to hold your horses. I ordered one and now Hauppauge informs me that the software needs maintenance, so they are not shipping

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Cato,

one antenna input for TV. The PVR 500 has an internal splitter for its two tuners.

But: there are two antenna inputs, one for TV and one for FM radio.

Flip.

Pingus

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Denmark
    Cato72 said:
    I'm considering buying the new Hauppauge PVR-500MCE with dual TV-tuners. But I'm unsure if I need to feed it with TV signals from one or two antenna cables.

Anyone know this?

The PVR 500 just need one input since the signal splitter is located on the card - thats NICE AND good for the picture quality as well.

And for the issue with the PVR 150 & 500 cards was an software issue so the are producing cards again (what I heard anyway).

Pingus

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Denmark
    FlipGer said:
    Hi Cato,

one antenna input for TV. The PVR 500 has an internal splitter for its two tuners.

But: there are two antenna inputs, one for TV and one for FM radio.

Flip.

Hi Flip, one answer - 4 hands - but yours works faster I see :)

Cato72

Portal Member
    October 20, 2004
    Oslo
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Followup

Thanks for the answeres everybody! :)

Two more questions, though:

1) I see that PCI or AGP graphics card are mentioned on the list of requirements on Hauppauge's website. I only have PCI Express. Will this be a problem?

2) Does anyone know if this card generates a lot of heat? I have SFF cabinet which are allready very hot because of CPU and GPU...

Thnx ahead!

johnbobjamesson

Portal Pro
    June 17, 2004
    Crailsheim
    I couldn't see any difference between my PVR500 and my PVR150 in terms of heat, but calling them cool would be an understatement. They do get quite warm.

Concerning the two cables: I always thought you only needed one cable for TV and FM, but that's (at least with my model) not true. I had tuners that could suck FM and TV from the TV analog cable input, but the PVR500 needs a seperate FM input in order to listen to radio. However, as far as recording on the two tuners at the same time with only the TV cable plugged in, that works fine.

J

A

Anonymous

Re: Followup

Cato72 said:
    Thanks for the answeres everybody! :)

Two more questions, though:

1) I see that PCI or AGP graphics card are mentioned on the list of requirements on Hauppauge's website. I only have PCI Express. Will this be a problem?

2) Does anyone know if this card generates a lot of heat? I have SFF cabinet which are allready very hot because of CPU and GPU...

Thnx ahead!

As for the AGP/PCI-E problem: don't worry, i think they just didn't have the new standard in mind :). The underlying reasoning is that you need to have a graphics card (an onboard graphics adapter will not do, as it seems). So nothing to worry about :).

Users who are viewing this thread