Have Inteset USB IR Receiver and a remote. How to get remote working with MP Player 1.17? (2 Viewers)

curmudgeon

Portal Member
June 7, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have two Dell 990s, one is my MP player machine, the other the MP video recorder/server. Purchased Inteset USB IR receiver (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5NRWFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and plugged it in. For the remote I want to use to control my MP player machine, I am using Simple Control running on my iPhone 5s, which controls all of my other A/V equipment (Samsung TV, Onkyo 5.1 channel receiver with HDMI inputs, Sony CD and Blu-Ray players) via a WiFi/infrared emitter controlled by the app on the phone. I have emulators that can run on the phone for just about every remote made, including several MCE remotes.

Unfortunately, it seems apparent that none of the wonderful nerds that are in these forums have ever written simple step by step instructions to get one of these receivers working with a remote to control a MediaPortal player. I find fragmented info regarding both IRSS and "remotes and input devices" in MP Config. Do I need to install IRSS? And why isn't there a step by step explanation on here to to configure IRSS? All I want to do is use my remote to control Mediaportal instead of the player machine's keyboard!

I love MediaPortal, but the documentation is sooooo damned spotty!

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    wonderful nerds
    Hi

Do I need to install IRSS?
    There should be no need if you are using any sort of original MCE or universal IR remote system.

And why isn't there a step by step explanation on here to to configure IRSS?
    I can't tell you that since I'm not using it myself.

All I want to do is use my remote to control Mediaportal instead of the player machine's keyboard!
    It should work out-of-the-box with any genuinely MCE compatible system.

I'm myself using an Inteset IR receiver, albeit a different one. I'm most satisfied with it.

I love MediaPortal, but the documentation is sooooo damned spotty!
    The good thing is that anyone can contribute to that project, be it on those forums, on our wiki documentation or on GitHub.
    I'll be looking forward to your IR remote tutorial.

I've updated the documentation according to your feedback.

Last edited:

curmudgeon

Portal Member
    June 7, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi

It should work out-of-the-box with any genuinely MCE compatible system.

I'm myself using an Inteset IR receiver, albeit a different one. I'm most satisfied with it.

It started life as a high end office workstation, a Dell Inspiron 990. I added SSD boot drive, 4TB hard drive, and NVidia 760 video card.

So I still have the dilemma of having this device but no idea of how to set up the remote to make it control the Dell as HID remote.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't have personal experience of the Inteset IR receiver, but from the description on Amazon it looks to be an IR receiver that accepts the MCE RC6 signalling protocol. Plug it into a USB socket and you should find an entry in Windows "Device Manager" for a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in the "Human Interface Devices" section.

In "MP Config", click "Remotes and Input Devices" (left side menu), and select "Enable HID" on the "HID" tab. Use the "Classic" profile. (These settings may actually be the default for a new installation.)

I am using Simple Control running on my iPhone 5s ... I have emulators that can run on the phone for just about every remote made, including several MCE remotes.
    I have never handled an iPhone, but does it have an IR emitter controlled by the MCE emulator? If it does, simply point it at the Inteset IR receiver and you are done.

If the iPhone does not have an IR emitter, you have presumably purchased a separate piece of hardware that contains an IR emitter. You need to use the software that was provided with that hardware and set it up to transmit MCE RC6 signals in response to control from the iPhone. That part does not involve MediaPortal.

One caution: there are two different ways of controlling Windows Media Center (and hence MediaPortal):

(1) Using a remote that sends MCE RC6 signals.
    (2) Using a remote that sends keyboard shortcuts.

When you select the "MCE Emulator" on the iPhone, you need to select the emulator that uses (1), and not the emulator that uses (2). Only (1) will work with the Inteset IR receiver. If you want to use (2), you will need a different IR receiver, such as the Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver (which is what I use).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Just gonna add my 2 cents worth here.

I have the Inteset PC-IRS5-01 IR Receiver and it installed fine, as per their instructions. However I did encounter an issue getting my remote, a HP MCE Media Centre remote (RC6), to work as an expected. This, I eventually figured out, was due to the tuner card I was using at the time having a built in IR receiver that wasn't possible to disable.

I have since changed tuner cards and as these do not have a built in IR receiver I do not have the same issue. My remote works with the Inteset receiver as expected "out-of-the-box" with MP, no installing of additional utilities or anything like that. Simply setting the remote as a HID device (selecting MCE as an option is no longer available) in the MP configuration for "Remotes & Input Devices" works.

Hope this is of some use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom