HDPVR2 Dish Network MediaPortal and Me (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thank you @Owlsroost , seems all good ! :)

Is there is a chance to get this mod in the official next versions ?

Before doing that, we need someone who has the original HD-PVR/Colossus to check that these changes (to support HD-PVR2 etc.) don't break the support for it - any HD-PVR users out there who could test it please?

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I want to say a big thank you to @Owlsroost for officially integrating pvr hd2 and colossus 2 in the last release.

now that the support is official i have a question :)

MP is timeshifting and recording perfectly but seems that is not possible to change the audio format as it is possible in the hauppauge software.
    to explain better, Mp is producing a .ts file with video h264 stream and aac or dd (in case the source have dd5.1 audio).
    Hauppauge capture have setting to choose aac or mpeg audio.
    Have Mpeg audio would be way better to improve compatibility with diffeernt clients that are not MP (eg:kodi is struggling to switch between channels from dd to aac and vice versa, but it works perfectly between dd to mpeg and viceversa).

I already dug hard in registry keys and settings , but seems that setting is not stored in registry as other are. There a way to set mpeg audio in Mp in some way ?
    I took a look also at the MP code but i can't find the point where those the audio kind is applied.

Another setting that can't be done by MP is the video proc amp levels for brightness , contrast etc.... seems they ar not active for PVR cards. i need to set videoproc amp manually in the filter properties each time i restart. at the moment i workarounded it using this tool SuslikV/cfg-cam in task scheduler.
    I saw that the MP analog card setting xml files are supporting videoprocamp, but when created for pvr or colossus the xml videoprocamp node is blank.

thank you for any idea, also workrounds outside MP

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hauppauge capture have setting to choose aac or mpeg audio.
    I already dug hard in registry keys and settings , but seems that setting is not stored in registry as other are.
    Hmmm, I don't think the hardware supports MPEG encoding:
    Hauppauge | HD PVR 2 model 1512 Product Description
    Audio recording formats
    • HDMI in with 5.1 channel AC-3 audio: your recordings will have AC-3 audio
    • Optical audio in with 5.1 channel AC-3 audio: your recordings will have AC-3 audio
    • Note: Hauppauge Capture capture has the ability to disable AC-3 audio from the A/V source

In short, I suspect that this is a special feature for Hauppauge Capture, enabled by a combination of hardware and software support:
    • hardware encoding/pass-through controlled by a custom Hauppauge driver property
    • software encoder for MPEG audio encoding
    If I'm right, you won't find anything in the registry because it isn't a pure hardware/driver feature. Hauppauge Capture will have a setting to enable/disable the feature in a local file or DB.

Sorry, MP cannot support this.

Another setting that can't be done by MP is the video proc amp levels for brightness , contrast etc.... seeme they ar not active for PVR cards.
    Please can you use GraphStudioNext or similar to confirm which of the Hauppauge Sienna filters (crossbar or capture) are exposing the VideoProcAmp property page.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hmmm, I don't think the hardware supports MPEG encoding:
    Hauppauge | HD PVR 2 model 1512 Product Description

In short, I suspect that this is a special feature for Hauppauge Capture, enabled by a combination of hardware and software support:
    • hardware encoding/pass-through controlled by a custom Hauppauge driver property
    • software encoder for MPEG audio encoding
    If I'm right, you won't find anything in the registry because it isn't a pure hardware/driver feature. Hauppauge Capture will have a setting to enable/disable the feature in a local file or DB.

Sorry, MP cannot support this.

you are right, i can confirm that ac3 passthrough setting is done by changing something in the driver, but this is ok , you do one time in the filter property page or in hauppage capture and it works for ever.

I agree, probably they are able to create a custom graph that re-encode aac audio to mpeg by their software encoder (that has been installed with drivers). No clues where they stores this setting, because i traced the registry calls and i wasn't able to spot any change in registry , but also i can't find any config files (or db) in hauppauge capture directories or user directories. :( (do you know a way to trace where it stores this setting?)
    upload_2019-5-24_15-30-1.png

Also, if i remember well , when i was using analog capture software cards Mp could deal with software encoders, but probably with hw capture cards is totally different story.
    I wonder if it possible to pass a custom graph to Mp to use (that can be created in graphstudionext for example....) sorry but I don't really know this topic in deep.

Please can you use GraphStudioNext or similar to confirm which of the Hauppauge Sienna filters (crossbar or capture) are exposing the VideoProcAmp property page.

probably that is exposed in crossbar, but as soon as arrive at home i can check and tell you.

thank you very much

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    do you know a way to trace where it stores this setting?
    Sorry, no. Maybe I can try to have a quick look, but no promises. Either way, I don't think it can provide a solution for MP unless it is fully integrated in the hardware/driver.

Also, if i remember well...
    Yes, MP has limited support for software encoding, but not with cards that have hardware encoding. In most cases the hardware encoder is physically linked in the processing path on the PCB, and can't be bypassed. Perhaps software encoders could be used to recode after the hardware path, but in the MP world post processing is only available in the client, not TV Server. In TV Server, software encoding is only used as a last resort where hardware encoding is not available.

I wonder if it possible to pass a custom graph to Mp to use (that can be created in graphstudionext for example....) sorry but I don't really know this topic in deep.
    Custom graph construction/control may be available in some software, but not in MP - sorry.

In general, the best suggestion I can offer is to look for a way to reencode the stream from TV Server with external software (eg. ffmpeg or VLC, or maybe KODI itself supports it via post processing, I don't know).

it is video capture
    Okay. I'll check the code and see if I can see the issue. Ideally this should work.

let me know for any further detail
    If you have time, it'd be nice to see a screenshot of the Hauppauge hardware encoder settings page (siena encoder filter?) from GraphStudio, with latest card driver (I'm interested to see if they have exposed any new settings over the last few years ;) ).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, no. Maybe I can try to have a quick look, but no promises. Either way, I don't think it can provide a solution for MP unless it is fully integrated in the hardware/driver.
    Right, there are some candidates in c:\ProgramData\Hauppauge Capture.
    Specifically:
    • config.xml (you can open this file with any text editor or browser)
    • capture.db3 (this is an SQLite database, which you can open with a DB client such as SQLiteBrowser)
    I've had a quick look in the capture.db3 file but couldn't see anything useful. More likely it is the config.xml file.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. I'll check the code and see if I can see the issue. Ideally this should work.
    I confirm that currently VideoProcAmp support is unfortunately only available for tuners, not capture cards. The Hauppauge HD-PVR and Colossus support VideoProcAmp, but TV Server doesn't support controlling their VideoProcAmp. This is due to the way that HD-PVR support was originally added. Instead of reusing the existing code for analog tuners, it looks like code was copied+pasted and/or simplified. For this reason, it wouldn't be particularly easy to add VideoProcAmp support for HD-PVR/Colossus.

P.S. In TVE 3.5 I created one code path for all "analog" devices, so many more capture devices (including DirectShow-compatible cameras) are supported... and VideoProcAmp also works for all.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have Mpeg audio would be way better to improve compatibility with diffeernt clients that are not MP (eg:kodi is struggling to switch between channels from dd to aac and vice versa, but it works perfectly between dd to mpeg and viceversa).

You should be complaining about this to the Kodi devs - AAC audio is very common today in digital TV streams, so they need to get that issue sorted out.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Right, there are some candidates in c:\ProgramData\Hauppauge Capture.
    Specifically:
    • config.xml (you can open this file with any text editor or browser)
    • capture.db3 (this is an SQLite database, which you can open with a DB client such as SQLiteBrowser)
    I've had a quick look in the capture.db3 file but couldn't see anything useful. More likely it is the config.xml file.

thank you I have to search those files because i don't have any hauppauge capture folder in program data... on my system it is under : "C:\Users\Public\Hauppauge Capture"

now i can look at them

I confirm that currently VideoProcAmp support is unfortunately only available for tuners, not capture cards. The Hauppauge HD-PVR and Colossus support VideoProcAmp, but TV Server doesn't support controlling their VideoProcAmp. This is due to the way that HD-PVR support was originally added. Instead of reusing the existing code for analog tuners, it looks like code was copied+pasted and/or simplified. For this reason, it wouldn't be particularly easy to add VideoProcAmp support for HD-PVR/Colossus.

P.S. In TVE 3.5 I created one code path for all "analog" devices, so many more capture devices (including DirectShow-compatible cameras) are supported... and VideoProcAmp also works for all.

yep, but unfortunately i wouldn't switch to Mp2 because now i reached climax with mp1 + madvr (lot of HDR stuff here) :)

You should be complaining about this to the Kodi devs - AAC audio is very common today in digital TV streams, so they need to get that issue sorted out.

you are absolutely right

i did a lot of posting but they seems to skip all my posts

Kodi Community Forum - Video Support
    Kodi Community Forum - MediaPortal
    Problem with video/audio when audio changes from dd5.1 to aac · Issue #15999 · xbmc/xbmc

so that's why i came here to try to workaroud this issue.

anyway I thank you guys for your time and your effort

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom