Help! MP2 - DVB-T Not recognised (DRIVERS?)

Discussion in 'General' started by Alpha77, December 31, 2018.

1. Alpha77

Alpha77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello!

I'm new to all this, and new to the forum. I have bought a DVB-T tuner, and I can't seem to get it working with MediaPortal - It's probably a quick fix, probably driver related but I can't seem to find a help guide on the internet (after a couple of days of searching).

So - I have also installed SDRSharp Airspy which works fine and picks up the USB Tuner. I'm using MediaPortal 2, but I have also tried MediaPortal 1 and they are both showing the same thing.

On the TV Server Config > TV Servers > Desktop
    There are only two options;
    * RadioWebStream
    * DvbIP
    And there isn't any USB devices available like I have seen on the how-to guides. the IPTV service works, but I'd like to use the USB...

On device manager the DVB-T tuner is showing under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" named as " RTL2838UHIDIR ". I've updated driver, and also checked for Windows updates. I don't know if I'm missing a driver along the way but I don't want to go downloading dodgy drivers for the sake of it.

The chip on the USB is R820T+RTL2832U , I have also downloaded Lav Filters 0.72 (not sure if this is relevant)
    [​IMG]
    Above is a picture of the USB stick I'm using.

Any more information required - let me know - I'll post back asap and hopefully get this resolved!

Many thanks in advance!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  4. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Note that (in the UK) to get the Freeview HD channels you need a DVB-T2 capable tuner (but most of the SD channels are on DVB-T, so that's all you need to support to receive those).

If you need a cheap (good) DVB-T2 USB tuner stick, try one of these (also available from other sellers on Ebay) - USB Dongle DVB-T2/T/C+FM+DAB Digital TV Stick With Antenna Remote Receiver'" OP | eBay

(Recent drivers for them are available here - AstroMeta_integrated solution )

I've been using two of those with MP1 for a few years, and they've been pretty much rock-solid (although a bit slow to tune the HD channels sometimes).

5. Alpha77

Alpha77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Thank you to both replies...

I've spent a good few hours today working through that link and downloading/removing/updating etc different drivers...
    The good bits:
    * Got the USB recognised in MP2
    * Scanning for channels

The not-so-good:
    * With the different drivers installed, SDRSharp Airspy no longer works
    * No signals on any channels (even after plugging into TV aerial)

Thank you for pointing out that I require a T2!!! I was on the verge of giving up, however, I'll uninstall the drivers, use SDRSharp Airspy for the time being and get a T2 on order - and try and sort out some compatibility with Airspy and MediaPortal when I get it.

Many thanks for the help!

6. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    As long as the MP2 Server service is active - which it will always be without manual intervention - the tuners are occupied by MP2 and can't be used by other software.

7. Alpha77

Alpha77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    is there a way to stop/suspend the server service?

8. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    That's a Windows functionality. Type "services" in the start menu area and you should be offered the Windows service desktop applicaiton as the first hit.

9. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    You only need T2 for the HD channels - the majority of the SD channels only need a T capable tuner.

Make sure you select the correct country and transmitter before scanning (or try 'all regions', but that will take a long time to scan all the frequencies) - MP will only scan the frequencies for the transmitter you select (to save time), so if it's the wrong one it won't find any channels...

10. Alpha77

Alpha77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Well I'm no further forward - I've tried using the T & the new T2 ... 0 TV channels, 0 radio

Any ideas?

11. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +4,131 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Make sure you select the correct country and transmitter before scanning (or try 'all regions', but that will take a long time to scan all the frequencies) - MP will only scan the frequencies for the transmitter you select (to save time), so if it's the wrong one it won't find any channels...

Which is your local TV transmitter?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. jimbok87
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!