Alpha77

December 31, 2018
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm new to all this, and new to the forum. I have bought a DVB-T tuner, and I can't seem to get it working with MediaPortal - It's probably a quick fix, probably driver related but I can't seem to find a help guide on the internet (after a couple of days of searching).

So - I have also installed SDRSharp Airspy which works fine and picks up the USB Tuner. I'm using MediaPortal 2, but I have also tried MediaPortal 1 and they are both showing the same thing.

On the TV Server Config > TV Servers > Desktop
There are only two options;
* RadioWebStream
* DvbIP
And there isn't any USB devices available like I have seen on the how-to guides. the IPTV service works, but I'd like to use the USB...

On device manager the DVB-T tuner is showing under "Universal Serial Bus Devices" named as " RTL2838UHIDIR ". I've updated driver, and also checked for Windows updates. I don't know if I'm missing a driver along the way but I don't want to go downloading dodgy drivers for the sake of it.

The chip on the USB is R820T+RTL2832U , I have also downloaded Lav Filters 0.72 (not sure if this is relevant)
41TuZf-fveL._SY450_.jpg

Above is a picture of the USB stick I'm using.

Any more information required - let me know - I'll post back asap and hopefully get this resolved!

Many thanks in advance!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Note that (in the UK) to get the Freeview HD channels you need a DVB-T2 capable tuner (but most of the SD channels are on DVB-T, so that's all you need to support to receive those).

If you need a cheap (good) DVB-T2 USB tuner stick, try one of these (also available from other sellers on Ebay) - USB Dongle DVB-T2/T/C+FM+DAB Digital TV Stick With Antenna Remote Receiver'" OP | eBay

(Recent drivers for them are available here - AstroMeta_integrated solution )

I've been using two of those with MP1 for a few years, and they've been pretty much rock-solid (although a bit slow to tune the HD channels sometimes).

Alpha77

December 31, 2018
    Home Country
    Thank you to both replies...

I've spent a good few hours today working through that link and downloading/removing/updating etc different drivers...
    The good bits:
    * Got the USB recognised in MP2
    * Scanning for channels

The not-so-good:
    * With the different drivers installed, SDRSharp Airspy no longer works
    * No signals on any channels (even after plugging into TV aerial)

Thank you for pointing out that I require a T2!!! I was on the verge of giving up, however, I'll uninstall the drivers, use SDRSharp Airspy for the time being and get a T2 on order - and try and sort out some compatibility with Airspy and MediaPortal when I get it.

Many thanks for the help!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The not-so-good:
    As long as the MP2 Server service is active - which it will always be without manual intervention - the tuners are occupied by MP2 and can't be used by other software.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    is there a way to stop/suspend the server service?
    That's a Windows functionality. Type "services" in the start menu area and you should be offered the Windows service desktop applicaiton as the first hit.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Thank you for pointing out that I require a T2!!!

You only need T2 for the HD channels - the majority of the SD channels only need a T capable tuner.

The not-so-good:
    * No signals on any channels (even after plugging into TV aerial)

Make sure you select the correct country and transmitter before scanning (or try 'all regions', but that will take a long time to scan all the frequencies) - MP will only scan the frequencies for the transmitter you select (to save time), so if it's the wrong one it won't find any channels...

Alpha77

December 31, 2018
    Home Country
    You only need T2 for the HD channels - the majority of the SD channels only need a T capable tuner.

Well I'm no further forward - I've tried using the T & the new T2 ... 0 TV channels, 0 radio

Any ideas?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Make sure you select the correct country and transmitter before scanning (or try 'all regions', but that will take a long time to scan all the frequencies) - MP will only scan the frequencies for the transmitter you select (to save time), so if it's the wrong one it won't find any channels...

Which is your local TV transmitter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom