Help on Understanding Mapping Groups (1 Viewer)

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi CyberSimian
    I feel very uncomfortable taking up your valuable time over this
    Thank you again for your attention it really is much appreciated
    I am also very frustrated that DVB EPG appears so "Hit & Miss"
    No one seems to have a good handle on how it should be set up!
    Your system is working, with contrary settings to the official support page and yet my system does not work using your setup or the official setup!
    (I am again wondering if I should do a complete re-install, and maybe even take the Win10 upgrade in the process)
    However I do know that WebEPG does work, it's just a case of not having a working grabber file.
    Since radiotimes.com and digiguide.com went defunct only bleb is available and I do not get all my channels there
    I do read that there is a configuration for digiguide using the Windows PC subscription version
    Of course I hesitate to spend £20 only to find it does not work and I wonder if you or anyone else can confirm that it does work
    If it works I have no problem with the £20 yearly charge
    Thanks again for your help
    I may do a re-install this weekend (if I can gather courage to face it) and I will let you know if it makes any difference
    Unless the WebEPG with subscription works OK????
    Regards
    TW

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Returned home and took another look at the EPG and to my delight I have DVBT listings!
    So flushed with success I selected the DVBS "Freesat Info" channel in Radio Grabber and re-started MediaPortal
    The Hard Drive activity light immediately came on and stayed almost constant after MediaPortal had started
    Left it alone and after about 15 - 20 minutes it subsided and i went back to the EPG and I now have 7 days of DVBT & DVBS listings

So your settings were the way to go:
    Always try to fill holes - Disabled
    Always try to update existing entries - Enabled
    Enable CRC - Enabled
    Grab EPG only for channels on same transponder - Disabled
    EPG grabbing while timeshifting - Disabled
    EPG grabbing while idle - Enabled
    Store Data only for selected channels - Disabled in both TV & Radio EPG Grabbers
    'BBC1' TV channel selected & English Languages in TV EPG Grabber
    'Freesat Information' Radio channel selected & English Languages in Radio EPG Grabber

Settings are contrary to the Support & Setup pages and I think the important step was to only use grabbing while idle setting and not having any TV tuned in after restarting MediPortal
    (Of course I do not want to change any settings now to experiment and confirm this)
    If anyone else is having problems I can confirm the CyberSimian settings give me DVBT & DVBS EPG
    DBVT took a while to grab but once there the DVBS only took about 15 minutes

Thanks to CyberSimian for sorting this out
    Perhaps the support pages should be corrected?
    Regards
    TW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Returned home and took another look at the EPG and to my delight I have DVBT listings! So flushed with success I selected the DVBS "Freesat Info" channel in Radio Grabber and re-started MediaPortal. The Hard Drive activity light immediately came on and stayed almost constant after MediaPortal had started. Left it alone and after about 15 - 20 minutes it subsided and i went back to the EPG and I now have 7 days of DVBT & DVBS listings
    Excellent! (y) I am pleased that we have been able to help you arrive at a solution.

When I first started using MP, I also made some wrong choices with respect to the broadcast EPG, and it took some months to arrive at the optimum settings. Part of the problem is that MP is a media center with world-wide application, but broadcast EPGs vary from one country to another (they are not all as good as the UK one), so recommended settings can also vary from one country to another.

If you are going to use only the idle grabber, you will probably notice that when you put your HTPC to sleep, the system keeps running for a further 10 minutes, even though it is not recording. This is because it is overdue for an EPG grab, and now that all of the tuners are idle, it can grab the EPG. That is what I notice, and is to be expected if using only the idle EPG grabber.

If you actually switch off your HTPC (rather than putting it to sleep), MP will not have had time to grab the EPG, so you would need to allow some some each day for MP to grab the EPG (i.e. switch it on, but don't watch live TV or record any programmes). This is where grabbing while timeshifting or recording can be useful. However, I find that I don't need to use it.

There are other EPGs available, and some may have more programme detail than the broadcast EPG. I think that some people still use the Microsoft internet EPG, but that seems to have become quite unreliable recently. Others use "Schedules Direct", but this is a paid-for service. It is an American company, but they provide a UK EPG, in addition to an EPG for the USA and other countries. They have recently been improving their support for WMC users in the UK, and MP users would benefit too (more accurate channel lists, and so on). I don't have any experience of using these internet EPGs with MP. But if you want more programme detail, or a 14-day EPG instead of a 7-day EPG, you could investigate them at your leisure (now that you have the broadcast EPG working!)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    My HediaPortal is always on so hopefully the grabbing should have plenty of idle time to keep the EPG up to date
    I think the contribution to the problem I experienced came from the actual WebEPG product manual.
    The "default" settings advised in the manual would appear to guarantee that the novice user will have problems!
    Hopefully others who experience problems will be able to refer to your initial settings via this post in future
    I am going to post again and ask for others experience with the WebEPG and Digiguide Windows PC subscription listings
    It claims to give up to 30 days listings and more information for £20 per year
    I think that if it works I would stump up the cash, meanwhile, as you point out, I have a good 7 day EPG up and running and for that I am very grateful
    Thanks again
    TW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom