How to get bit perfect playback, DTS5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 in MP (1 Viewer)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
thanks for the good advice KevL. :) Shame Im not that lucky with my current setup...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I followed you instructions. Of course I dont have a separate soundcart. I use the ATI sound instead. I have disabled the onboard audio itself in Hardware>Devices. This is how I get good and decent audio out of the pc.
    Where does the connection to the graphics cards come from?

In the DirectShow Filter Control bit of MP config is MPA setup to output both AC3 and DTS as SPDIF??

Might also be worth trying AC3FILE instead of MPA and see if that helps at all.

Also can you check the manual for your amp that it can actually receive 44.1KHz signals via HDMI

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I just found out that I might be suffering from some other issue. ATI + Yamaha rxv661 receiver is not recognised. See AVSFORUM
    There are a lot of things that can go wrong.... :confused:

Ill check the specs later today. :)

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Edterbak,

Had a quick scan of the avsforum page. To be honest I try to avoid that forum as the threads get far too long and my attention span is too short.

But I still think your problem (from what you have said) is that your DTS5.1 is being sent at 48K (i.e. totally corrupted) when it should be at 44.1K.

There is no question of SPDIF not working at 44.1 because common or garden CD playback from bog standard CD players are at 44.1K.

Maybe others on the AVSforum are also trying to go to the amp via a PC type soundcard and are also having 48K problems.

Does you amp have an ordinary coax phono or TOSLINK SPDIF in? If so try a straight link from PC to amp via that. That will rule out HDMI reciever issues on your amp.

You can also buy adaptors (or you could easily make one if you have an old phono socket and soldering iron) which will alllow to connect your SPDIF header on your MB to a phono socket mounted on a PC slot bracket so you can test amp without HDMI lead complication.

I have checked out your MB. It uses a realtek ALC662 audio chipset. So like my MB audio (ALC889) it cannot auto switch between 44.1K and 48K. Especially with the newest realtek drivers which auto resample evrything to 48K. Maybe you can try to get hold of some old Realtek drivers which at least allowed you to switch between 44.1 and 48K via the system tray applet.

So even though you are taking spdif from your on board sound card and routing it through your HDMI lead you are still at the mercy of the dreaded realtek drivers.

Only thing I can suggest is try to get hold of old realtek drivers so that you can at least test 44.1K DTS etc or get the cheap £6 soundcard that Jameson recommends.

K

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Kevl,

Thank you for the detailed reply. :) I came to roughly the same conclusion you wrote. It must be the soundcard switching problem. Because I checked my receiver version number, and I have mistaken the RXV663 with the RXV661 (which I have). The problem in in the first one. So it would appear that mine is still problem free and capable of receiving HDMI 1.2a. This should indeed receive all kinds of formats. So this basically ruled out the receiver thing which leads me to the same conclusion you have. The switching part.

I will have a quick looksky at the older drivers. Do you happen to know which drivers give me the best luck with this?
    Again, thank you all for your reactions :) Much appreciated.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is there anything known about since which driver version the autoswitching is disabled? Im having no luck with it.

Tried R119, R135, R149. R119 doesnt install.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Hi

Because I dont have the same version of sound chip as you I cant necessarily advise. I will have a look at the version numbers of the realtek drivers I used on my ALC889. It might help. Will do so when I get home.

K

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'll dig into the suggested solutions for my current system first ofcourse, but I am also looking with one eye to other solutions.

You were talking about a CMEDIA card . I found one from sweex which includes digital output. LINK. costs are ~ 10Euro. Do you guys think it is capable of the autoswitching?

Thanks! :)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    You were talking about a CMEDIA card . I found one from sweex which includes digital output. LINK. costs are ~ 10Euro. Do you guys think it is capable of the autoswitching?
    Can't see exactly which CMedia chipset it uses but looks like if would work (if you use the replacement drivers linked above).

I have a feeling that the card I got was actually a Sweex card (sold as Overclockers.co.uk own brand)

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    I'm fairly sure Jameson_UK thinks it auto switches. I have never tried one.

Re Realtek Sound Card driver version to allow output sampling rate to be selected. My version says 5.10.00.5286. They came from the packaged Realtek drivers version R1.72

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread