how to get comskip to work? (1 Viewer)

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Guys, I still haven't seen anything in this thread that resembles a "how to set up comskip". I have comskip installed; I enabled it. But 1) what keys do I map, and how, and 2) how come when I close MP I find 20 cmd windows that didn't close when comskip ran, and 20 comskip processes listed in Task Manager.

Can we get a half page guide "how to set up comskip in TV2" and "how to set up comskip in TV3"?

1. Download and "Install" ComSkip. I got mine in C:\comskip for simplicity.
2. Activate the ComSkip Launcher plugin. (MediaPortal Configuration - Plugins)
3. Configure the Comskip plugin: Set the path to ComSkip plugin (In my case C:\ComSkip). Leave the Parameters as it is.
4. Done. Close Config and run MediaPortal

After you've made a new recording, comskip will be run in the background generating the comskip .txt file with the same filename as the recorded show. When you play this recording, you can skip past commercials with Next Chapter buttons.

If it's not working:
* Make sure there's actually a .txt file generated in you recording folder. If there aint one, comskip didn't ran.
* View the .log file for clues what might not be working
* Verify that you have got your Chapter buttons mapped correctly.

Note: It should all work pretty nice without altering the .ini whatsoever.

darklord2005

Portal Member
December 28, 2006
Thats what I thought the comskip plugin did but where do you map the next chapter button? can you skip commercials using the remote or do you need the keyboard? I use a hauppauge remote.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
I think I am using the default INI file also, but I should have a look into it as some particular programs will skip past the end rather than to the end of the group of commercials.

I also use a remote, just map the buttons as needed (NEXT CHAPTER and PREVIOUS CHAPTER as mentioned in other posts)

Edit:
I just had a look at my INI file and I am now fairly sure comskip was working very well it looks like I found yet another mediaportal bug (I'm' not currently running the latest version so it possible that its fixed)

I should try the latest version first, that the plan this weekend anyway. if it is still there I think it occurs when the recording goes over midnight

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks, Zion22. That helps.

I think the problem was entirely on my end - I was using an older version of comskip I had sitting around with a much-modified INI file, and I just copied that over to my MP computer. Fresh copy of comskip and it does what it's supposed to, now.

Just need to see if I can map the remote keys correctly.

Milhouse

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
OK, guys. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I still need help. I've got comskip working - it closes properly after running, and I have a .txt file in the same folder as the recorded program with the same name. Non-blank - it shows start/end frame information. So I am pretty sure I am just down to having a problem mapping the buttons.

I have a Hauppauge 45-button remote. So here's what I did to map them:
1) MP Configuration->Remote
2) Hauppauge tab, Learn
3) Mapping button
4) Expand down to Skip Forward button, All Layers, create a new condition for "Fullscreen video". (Also tried TVfullscreen). Layer:all; Condition: Window, TVfullscreen (and Fullscreen video); Action: Next Chapter.

Is this the correct way to map a remote key? Never had to do that before.

This is with 0.2.3 RC2 w/ SVN 15792 (8 Sept 2007) on TV2. This is a previously recorded program that I ran through comskip using the "test" portion of the plugin configuration - not a file that had comskip run through MP.

I appreciate the help.

Milo

darklord2005

Portal Member
December 28, 2006
Im going to try editing the hauppauge irremote.ini and add the commands for chapter skipping..thanks for the info guys.

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
No, the keyboard keys don't go to the next chapter, either. It's F4 and F8, right? F4 brings up the navigation graphic at the top with an "N/A". F8 does nothing.

Right-click Prev Chapter and Next Chapter DOES work. So it seems to be that I don't have a clue how to map keyboard and remote keys to functions.

Milhouse

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Actually, I can't get the keys (tried... most combo's actually) to work either.
And it should be F7 + F8, so the Wiki needs correcting.

Since I won't use a remote on one of my client machines, this is now very interesting to me aswell. ;)

Edit: Fixed that part anyways. ;)

Ok. This is how to get the keyboard keys to work for "ComSkip chapters" in fullscreen Video:

In MediaPortal Configuration:
1. General - Keys and Sounds
2. Expand the "Windows" node.
3. Expand the "Fullscreen Video specific actions"
4. Add 2 new Assignments:
Description: Next Chapter
Action: ACTION_NEXT_CHAPTER
Key=F8
----
Description: Prev Chapter
Action: ACTION_PREV_CHAPTER
Key=F7

Since I don't have a Hauppuage remote connected I don't know how you can map it. But I assume you can map the buttons to a key? Then this would solve it I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom