How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only) (1 Viewer)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As R2 is based on Windows7 and the normal 2008 is based on Vista.
    This how to is for >> R2 ONLY << r2 is only available in x64 flavour. and only tested with my 3 floppydtv cards setup
    However some tricks or issues might be usefull for Basic windows 2008 version aswell i dont know.
    Windows home server codename "Vail" (its based on Windows 2008 R2 , but does have BDA support confirmed with screenshots elsewhere in this thread, no need to enable aero, just use mysql instead of SQL and it will work)

First you need to prepare windows 2008 R2.
    Install all patches with the use of windows update, incl. SP1

Install the following features
    .net framework 3.5.1
    desktop experience ("ink support" will be asked to add , choose yes)

>needed for mediaportal client,and for "preview of tvchannels" function of tvserver, skip this if you do not want to watch videos on windows2008 R2, or can be bothered with the preview function of tvserver<
    To use mediaportal client on 2008 R2 do the following to enable Aero Desktop and have a windows7 look and feel.

You must have a graphic manufacturer driver installed for this to work! I used nvidia drivers for win7 x64 in the past, and now the MSI vista drivers with my new card , and both work
    go the the services.msc panel.
    and look up the next 2 services:
    Themes
    Windows Audio Services
    Change both services to startup type "automatic"
    and start them both

some machines need a reboot after this change! so if it Aero theme isnt selectable after this.. just reboot!

Go to the display options and the "Windows 7 Aero" theme should be selectable , after selecting you should be able to use the Aero options , check by pressing Windowskey+tab (press windowskey and hold down, then repeat pressing tab)

If you need to use BDA hardware for floppydtv etc..

Have a look here FIRST before you go through all this trouble below to add BDA support :D
    http://marcowuen.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/howto-add-bda-hardware-support-to-windows-server-2008-r2/
    This is even for multilanguage systems, so give it a go and let us know if Marphy spend his time right helping us out !

How to add BDA support to Win2k8 R2:
    This is setup for EN-US only.
    Download attachment ATTACHED TO THIS POST BELOW
    Extract to your windows 7 x64 drive (C:\),
    (if you do not have it on C: you need to edit every batfile and infofile it has hardcoded c: in it!)

run get bda vista.bat (x64)on YOUR Windows 7 x64 PC. This is important because R2 is only x64 and you need an Windows 7 X64 PC.

now copy the whole bdaforserver folder "as is" to your windows 2008 R2 Box
    Open and edit the file "Setup BDA.bat" (in c:\bdaforserver\setup for x64)
    Now again a very important part. Press WINDOWSKEY + R and type "%systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"
    A folder window should pop up. Now search a foldername which begins with "bda.inf_" and copy that foldername to your clipboard.
    Now look again in the "Setup BDA.bat" file and look on top. There should be a folder in the copy path, named "bda.inf_57d991b5".
    Replace that folder name ("bda.inf_57d991b5") to you before copied (Clipboard!) folder name you've found in "%systemroot%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"
    Now save the file ("Setup BDA.bat").
    run "Setup BDA.bat" on your server as administrator! (right click bat and choose "run as administrator") This is important! There could be some access denied errors but you can ignore them, because these file existed already.
    After the next restart it should work without problems!

only do this when the supplied drivers from your mainboard dont work correctly or you run multiple cards on firewire
    Go to devicemanager, and find the 1394 ieee entry, change the driver to the "legacy" driver already present in the windows installation.
    (update driver ->> choose "manually select" and select the legacy driver)

Go to control panel , and find useraccounts, then disable the accountcontrol (set slider to bottom) and reboot

Then install the 5.7 Floppydtv drivers (update: ditched my Floppydtv and got yet another Digital devices product running on Windows2008R2:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/how-to-install-cine-ct-v6-duoflex-ct-dvb-c.113027/

Now install mediaportal with default settings
    Ignore the not available hotfixes announcement :)

Voila your done, workstation and server all in one, this will work 100% guarantee

Some problems i found with other people running this setup, was a problem with mysql
    where a database table crashed.
    Here is the fix for it, stop the tvservice
    To check if all tables are error free do the following.
    Go to (if default path is used) C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin
    open a command window in this path (right click in the folder with shift pressed will show option "open command window from here")
    then type "mysqlcheck --all-databases -uroot -p" and hit enter
    mysql will ask you for the password , if you only use MP then the password is "MediaPortal" with the m and p in capitol letters
    now it will check all your databases and will report errors if any. if you notice errors do the following:
    type"mysql -uroot -p mptvdb" and hit enter
    then type "REPAIR TABLE tablename;" ,without the quotes but with the ;
    done database fixed , you can restart tvserver now.

Attachments

• aero2008.jpg
      aero2008.jpg
      284.5 KB
    • bdaforserver.rar
      806.3 KB
    Last edited:

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Not nearly as convoluted as I was expecting. I may try this some time :)

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    How about BDA support?
    It is not supported on W2k8 r2 out of the box. Or I am wrong?

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Please google for it!

Hint: google + BDA R2 (TV Card support for Server 2008 R2)

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    has anyone checked vail yet?
    I don't have a spare machine to try...

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    has anyone checked vail yet?
    I don't have a spare machine to try...

i misunderstood "vail" , and read it as if the instruction was "valid" (thought he made a typo) :)

didnt know vail as the new windows home server edition :)

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    didn't want to offend you.
    do you think mp will be the same thing on 2008R2 and vail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom