How-To use Comskip to cut out commercials via MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

erik1958

Portal Pro
January 28, 2006
The comskip.ini file can be either in the same directory as comskip.exe or in the directory where the mpeg file is found.
The latter allows you to easily have multiple ini files for different kinds of mpegs.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Erik,

my intention was keep it as easy as possible and to make it usable with a remote.
    Therefore I choose this version of Comskip ‘cause it works quite well and fast.

erik1958 said:
    My suggestion would be:

Convert to mpeg
    Run comskip to generate the .txt file describing where the commercials are.
    Run comskip on the generated .txt file to review/edit the cutpoints.
    If happy, write the new cutpoints ('W'), exit comskip and start comclean.

That would be the best way to get the best results, but I don’t now if this all could be done without using mouse and/or keyboard, right now?

A plugin for this would be great being able to check the cutpoints and modify them if needed with a remote within MediaPortal.
    But unfortunately I’m not a programmer, yet.
    I can only offer this work-around at this time.

Any help would be appreciated.

erik1958 said:
    The comskip.zip contains version 0.79 build 8, the newest build is at 23
    Why don't you download from the source? in that way you always can find the latest version

I choose this build 'cause it works for me very good and fast. I didn't try the latest version, yet because I'm satisfied with the version I use right now.
    If the latest version has any serious advantage over this version, like being faster or more precise I will check this.

I don't wanted to upset you.
    I just wanted to give people who are not proficient to comskip and it's use an easy way of being able to take advantage of this nice, usefull und very helpfull piece of software.
    Therefore I took the version that works for me quite well and put it all togehter in one folder,
    to make it usable within MediaPortal with just a small effort to get this work.

Everbody is free trying the latest versions and to take a look at Comskip Forum.
    I recommend this, the more people get used to Comskip it may speed up getting Comskip integrated to MediaPortal! :D

ASiDiE said:
    Going through the setup right now. I am downloading the file and noticed you need to put in a code and wait 45 seconds. WHO HAS THE TIME FOR THAT?!?! Here is a direct link:

DIRECT LINK to COMSKIP.ZIP

Yes, i know in our times that become faster and faster 45sec can be soo long. :wink:

I've updated the link, so noone has to wait any longer.
    I hope your link will work for some time?

->Startup Directory: set the path to the Comskip folder (to start PostProcessing.bat)

Thanks for your support
    Ralph

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    No problem, happy to see its made easy to use.
    The 10 foot UI for COmskip is not there yet, also difficult to see from 10 foot if you are exactly on the spot.
    That's why I added a zoom function in build 23.

But again feel free to use it the way you like.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    How well is this working for you guys? I have set it up just how it says in the forum and ran a couple of shows. It seems to do ok. A couple shows it seems to have cut off the end of the show (before the commercial) about 2 seconds and then jumps right into the show.. about 2 seconds or so in. I need to do some more testing. I am wonder what you guys are experiencing?

Eric, in your mind, how well is this working for you? What percentage are you getting when running your shows through comskip? I know this product is still in beta (I think) so it can only improve.

I am going to read the readme to see all the option I have, but is there a way to tell it when it finds a black screen, cut it like 2 seconds after that and then when it finds the next one, add 2 seconds? For just watching shows in MP, I don't really care that there is an extra couple of seconds added. I just want to make sure it's not cutting anything out that shouldn't be cut out.

I noticed padding=0 in the INI file... would this be the setting I am looking for? If so, is this is seconds? (Found my answer in the Comskip Forums) It's in seconds.

Also have you heard of anyone being able to run this product on the fly? As in while recording, comskip is working and marking where the comerical starts and ends creating a txt file the whole time. If you are on delay, and watching the video, it would cut out the comericals on the fly. Or when watching a recorded video, look at the txt file and just skip the comericals without removing them from the actual video... basically just jumping ahead in the video.

BTW, I love this product and what it can do! I have a ReplayTV and the model I have has built in Comskip. (They were sued over this feature and had to remove it in later models). This feature is priceless, and in my eyes the BEST feature a ReplayTV unit has to offer! Keep up the good work! I can't wait until this feature is a integrated part of MP!

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    Commercial detection is an art.
    Not so much in the USA because of the strict regulations there but in other countries it can be difficult to simply impossible.

I personally run ALL my recordings (recorded through an automatic keyword search based schedular) through comskip and comclean so my family can watch commercial free TV.

Sometimes it misses a commercial. I don't mind. Watching commercials 2% of the time is better then 30% of the time.

The only problem we have is when to get the drinks :D

aggi

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2006
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,

i have a little problem.
    i have many recordings, but not all of them work with comskip. sometimes the comskip window opens for 1 sec and close. i can't read, whats the problem is!!

is it nessesary to use a spezial codec, or is it a other problem?

thx

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    COmskip can process MPEG Program Stream files. Transport Stream is experimental, DVR-MS support not available.
    If you see this "open for one second" problem you should first open a command window and run comskip from the command line so you can read the output before the window closes (actually the window will not close)

aggi

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2006
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks. i will give it a try tomorrow!
    all my recordings are mpeg files, convertet on the fly with autodvrconverter.
    how do you convert your recordings?

aggi

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2006
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,

i have found the problem.
    my autodvrconverter turns my recordings into MPG (big letters!) on the fly. comskip needs small letters at the ending of recorded files (*.mpg!). i have changed my converter and know i can skip commercials with comskip! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom