How well can MediaPortal handle 10,000+ recordings?

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by ChaosMageX, August 14, 2018.

1. ChaosMageX

ChaosMageX Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    How well can MediaPortal continue to function when your number of stored recordings exceeds 10,000?

I ask because my number of recordings with NextPVR recently exceeded 10,000 and the software has started running into all sorts of problems in its functionality because of that.

I want to know in advance if MediaPortal would also start encountering problems if it were used on a system with a 20+ TB recording storage capacity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +904 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I think that most users with a large number of recordings store them in a folder tree in the "Videos" section of MP. It is then just like any Windows file system that has a large number of files. To play a recording in the "Videos" section, you navigate the folder tree to find the recording that you want.

When MP records a programme, it places the recording in the "Recorded TV" folder. This is a flat folder (no subfolders), but MP creates "virtual subfolders" to group recordings that have the same title. If you had 10,000 files in that folder, performance might slow down. Certainly, when I used WMC I found that the performance became unacceptably slow when the number of recordings exceeded around 100(!).

The bit that is missing from MP is the process that moves recordings from the "Recorded TV" folder to the folder tree in "Videos", where you would probably have one folder per series, possibly arranged by subject matter (e.g. Documentaries, Movies, TV Series, Comedy, ...). There may be other tools that perform this relocation, although I wrote my own so that it would do exactly what I wanted.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

4. regeszter
    • Team MediaPortal

regeszter Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,151 / 18
    Home Country:
    Hungary Hungary
    The TvServer can create subfolders like this.

Képkivágás.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  5. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +904 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Thank you for mentioning this -- I had forgotten about it. :( I don't use it myself because it does not give me the degree of control that I want, but it may be useful for others. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!