Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (2 Viewers)

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Here's a small update on what I'm currently testing.

A few limitations.
    • Only one of the gpu outputs will receive hdmi audio, you have no control over which one. but you can do several things in order to make sure it's the AVR that gets the audio. (more info about the limitation here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259028/two-audio-streams-via-both-gpu-hdmi-out)

Connect the gpu and AVR using the hdmi port of the gpu.
      Connect the gpu and TV/PJ using a dvi-hdmi adaptor with NO audio pins to the DVI port of the gpu.
      When it is connected this way, the ATI driver realizes that only one device is able to receive audio, which in this case, is the AVR.
      You can probably also edit the edid info and remove the audio capabilities there, using a tool like moninfo. I didn't try the moninfo approach here...

/gibman

Hi Gibman,

I've been thinking about doing something similar to your setup. I've got 2 devices: TV and AVR, they're currently hooked up by HDMI with the AVR in the middle. But even with the pin 19 trick there are occasionally issues. So I'm thinking HDMI jack to AVR and DVI to TV, combined with a 3,5mm phono cable for the audio. I rarely use the surround anyway.

I've got a cable with a DVI in one end and HDMI in the other, how do I know if it's a audio cable or not. IIRC there's no audio in DVI what so ever?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gefen-EXT-H...494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460a01db0e

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

^ use that.

HTPC -> Gefen Adapter -> AV Receiver -> TV

However the htpc will always think it is connected directly to the tv.

[DOUBLEPOST=1353012043][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I've got a cable with a DVI in one end and HDMI in the other, how do I know if it's a audio cable or not. IIRC there's no audio in DVI what so ever?

You can get DVI-HDMI adapters that do work with the audio, I have one of these at home. I also have a DVI-HDMI adapter that doesn't carry audio.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yup, but it works. There is also Dr HDMI, does the same thing. $99 USD.
    They are also quite good if you run an HDMI splitter to multiple things like a projector etc, you don't have to worry about powering everything on in the right order etc, solves all the unplugging + replugging issues.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But it's some sort of handshake in this HDMI chain that doesn't work, right? If I hook up the DVI cable to an HDMI jack on my tv, is there still that handshake that must be done to get a picture (regardless if audio works or not)?

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I took some time to test the "one cable for one device" thing without having my AVR in the middle of the HDMI chain and ran into some issues.

I've got 2 outputs on my GPU, one hdmi and one dvi. The dvi is connected with a dvi->hdmi cable to the tv and the hdmi to the avr. Also, there's a 3.5 mm phono for the audio to the tv. In CCC I've got the tv as primary display and the avr as secondary in "extend mode". Watching stuff with stereo downmix works fine, just a few sync issues with the avr but I haven't dug that deep into that yet. But when I try to bitstream my audio the avr goes silent and video goes slow in ~20 fps.

Codecs: LavA and PDVD12, also tried LavA with LavV and no difference. If I close MP and tries the same video in MPCHC the bitstreaming works fine with the same codecs and video is smooth on the tv.

Has anyone got this working in MP? What I'm I doing wrong here? Help very much appreciated.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think I found the problem: Dyn. refresh rate changer and changing to "duplicate" instead of "extend mode". Looks like the DRR changes the desktop resolution and hanging MP if using two "displays". Turning DRR off solves all the problems but brings a new one. Guess I have to take this to another thread.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, problem was audio renderer settings in MP. It all works now, but I now know what I'm missing.. the OSD from my AVR. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom