Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (1 Viewer)

_Micha_

Portal Member
March 17, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi gibman, I tried it but in a different way because I do not have the mentioned HDMI-adapter. My idea was to modify my HDMI-splitter (Ligawo® HDMI Splitter: 1 HDMI-in -> 2 HDMI-out, its price is around 20 EUR). This splitter was in use by me over 3 years, no problem. Then I bought a new NVDIA-ION based motherboard and since then this was (and unfortunatelly is) my problem: After recovering from windows energy saving state (in my case S3) the splitter is only detected by Win7 if I restart windows or if I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it in again. (I do not use HDMI-audio.)
The proposed solution (apply 5V with an pull-up resistor to pin 19 = Hot-plug detection) was from my point of view a good approach. I have NOT cutted the connection to the PCB but simply applied the 5V to pin 19 because if it is realy only looking for this voltage level then a pull up should work without cutting the PCB connection. After my modification I measured that there is the expected voltage and then tried it out: Nothing changed. Only the two above mentioned ways bring it back :(.
I would now expect, that the static 5V is the problem (with the rising / falling edge of a appearing / disappearing 5V it may work ?!).
May be I will order the proposed HDMI-adapter to try exactly the solution but I don't know if it is worth to continue.

Greetings!

Micha

P.S. A picture of my modification; 5V is not only on HDMI pin 18 but also on the LED on the right side. This was the easier way to get it ...
HDMI-Splitter.jpg

Last edited:

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    hi Micha!

When your splitter is working (connected to output devices.) what monitor driver do you have listed in device manager under monitors ?

if you have "generic monitor"...
    then try and download moninfo, create a INF monitor driver by connecting only one device to the output of the splitter (eg. the main TV).
    then update driver to this newly created info.

now try connect to the htpc using teamviewer.
    open device manager, and look at monitor devices attached.
    try and turn off TV, while splitter is on.

Does the device manager reflect this change, by removing the monitor device in the list ?
    if no (good).. then try instead and extend this test by keeping TV on, then instead turn off splitter.
    Does device manager now reflect this change, by removing the monitor device in the list ?

Generally I have very good succes with just using the moninfo generated INF monitor driver trick for keeping the HDMI connection to the TV alive even if I turn TV on/off.

Tried it on ATI HD6xxx + HD5xxx series cards.
    This is using just a standard hdmi cable.
    btw. Instead of a 2way splitter, you could try and clone your displays using the gfx driver :)

Matters are different with AVR though :(
    When I try and keep the HDMI signal alive for the AVR, which is connected through HDMI, then I see big problems.
    Turning off the AVR will remove the AVR from device manager, also I will lose the HDMI audio device as seen under control panel => sound.

Applying the basic pin19 trick will keep HDMI alive, regardless of me turning on/off the AVR, this is until I resume from S3, then it wont re-detect it.

which remindes me...
    about your splitter and detecting it's failure in re-detecting a HDMI connection.
    Try this:
    After you have just resumed and concluded that it hasn't connected to your splitter, then try and connect to htpc using teamviewer. Then enter device manager, click on your root entry, then select "scan for hardware changes".
    (the same can be done with a "devcon -rescan" on resume.)
    you can find devcon.exe on google :)

I use the tool hibernatetrigger to call a batch file containing this devcon cmdline onresume.

It might do the trick.

If "scan for hardware changes" works in device manager, then you would could take the step and use devcon.

HDMI = something the devil invented !!!

/gibman

_Micha_

Portal Member
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks a lot for your summary of this thread, seldom I have seen such a friendly answer which is not saying "read the discussion entries, there is all in". Anyhow I have read all of the entries before I have tried the HW modification.
    1. I have not a "generic monitor", my spliter has some "intelligence" and passes the EDID data from the device which has lower capabilities to my HTPC. My TV is this device and will be displayed therefore.
    2. The "pin19 trick" leads to 100% out of work; nothing can be detected by my HTPC.
    3. "Instead of a 2way splitter, you could try and clone your displays using the gfx driver". I have 3 devices (monitor, TV, beamer) and two connections, I need my spliter.
    4. To rescan the device manger after S3 helps also not.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Micha

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    U could try and put an on off switch between the 5v volt wire.
    Then you can manually try and see for yourself if turning on 5v for a moment works or not...

Last edited:

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just received my 2 hdmi angle connectors in the mailbox.

bought here.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Male-t...or-/110880158957?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:DE:3160

Ofc. I couldn't wait so I started modding them asap :)

They are extremely easy to tear apart.
    You just need a . sharp and small screwdriverThen pry it open.
    Took me 30 sec the first time.

I opened the female end of the connector.
    I then disconnected the pin19 wire (simply cut the wire).

I then identified the wire that goes to pin18.
    Instead of cutting this wire, which is very thin, I used my soldering iron to heat the pin18 wire which made some of the plastic coating on the wire burn away - I then have some visible copper on the wire on which I can solder stuff on :)

I then soldered the 1k ohm resistor to this part of the pin18 wire.
    The other end of the resistor I soldered to the disconnected wire for pin19, the part of the wire that goes to the male end of the connector (the end that goes into the GFX card hdmi port).

To summarize:
    The FEMALE end of the connector has a disconnected pin19 wire.
    The MALE end of the connector has a pin19 wire which is connected to pin18 (5volt).

so how does it work ?

note:The only unit that I have issues with is the AVR.
    so in my case the HDMI 19pin connector-mod is connected directly to my yamaha AVR.

With the pin19+5volt trick I am finally able to turn the AVR ON/OFF, change input on the AVR.
    Any of these events do not cause the windows OS to react like it used to, like hdmi audio device being disconnected/connected.

Turning the AVR off while MP is running would cause MP to freeze up, as the HDMI audio device in this case would disappear.
    Now this doesn't happen any more :)

I tested standy (S3) + resume => works.
    Shutdown + clean boot => works.
    Turning AVR on/off while mediaplayback is running => works.
    changing input on AVR while mediaplayback is running => works.

Parents have the exact same issues, so I expect this to work for them also.

I will post back the success/failure of this "fix" later when it has been stressed a bit more.
    but at least initial tests looks ok.

Running ATI HD5770

/gibman

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Looks promissing... I'm going to buy that HDMI adapter and give it a try, too. We'll see... :) It's many years that I don't solder... Hope I remember how it goes. :p

Thanks a lot gibman for being the first one.

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I bought a similar HDMI angle connector and performed Gibmans fix. Seems to work fine so far. I have earlier changed the default fallback resolution in Win 7, that works most of the time for half screen issue. Lets see if Gibmans mod solve the rest of the issiues I have.

My HTPC is connected to an Onkyo reciever. The reciever pass through the signal to lcd tv or projector. The switch between tv and proj sometimes gave crashes or other issues.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Status regarding the pin19+5volt trick:
    my own livingroom setup seems to like it :)
    my parent's setup: no change - still the same problems like normal pin19 trick, I have given up, ordered a Dr HDMI device for them. Too many hours have been poured into this already.

Also a warning about using the tape trick on the cable.
    One of my other HTPCs in the household suddenly began showing some weird behaviour when coming out of standby.
    My panasonic plasma would display "HDMI1" = no host device detected :(.
    I then connected to the box using teamviewer which lead me to the conclusion that no monitor device was present in device manager, also the resolution was 4:3 and like 1024x768.
    Now, If I activated "scan for hardware changes" or using ATI catalyst's "detect display" button it would then detect the TV and I have video out .. nice.
    But obviously this can't be done on each resume from standby.

These symptoms reminded me of one thing - when I tested the pin19 tape trick on the same rig a few months back.
    I remember using that tape trick gave me the same symptoms on this specific setup that I now have.

I investigated the HDMI cable, nothing to be seen. The tape has been removed, no residues found.
    But it still acted up like pin 19 was covered ???

Using a new HDMI cable and now all works.

so to summarize.
    If you use the pin19 tape trick on a HDMI cable you risk damaging it if you try and revert the pin19 tape trick.
    It could be some left overs from the glue that is found on the tape.

so doing the pin19 trick would be more safe in one of those adaptors instead.

/gibman

Sausageman

April 16, 2013
    London, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm running Windows Home Server 2011, and am having the no audio issue when I restart my AVR (which my HP microserver goes through). As discussed in this thread, there doesn't seem to be an elegant solution at present.

My question is, is this a windows specific issue? Would I have similar problems if I used a linux based OS, like OpenElec?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom