Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (2 Viewers)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I did a install with dr HDMI recently for some family members which had major HDMI issues.

It was placed like this:

htpc > dr HDMI > AVR > TV

Im also running a USB connection as aux. power to dr HDMI, probably not needed.
    I also used setting 8, learn EDID.

Now they are able to turn on either or both: AVR + TV
    any combination of power cycling these devices will not interrupt the HTPC.
    it spits out stuff out the HDMI to dr HDMI.

now if I then turn on AVR, but keeping TV powered off, then I get audio.

maybe your problem is AVR specific.
    meaning, if your AVR does not detect a TV on the HDMI output port of the AVR then it wont bother rendering the audio from the htpc/dr hdmi device.

if this is the problem.

then try and connect dr hdmi between AVR and TV, but this leaves htpc with HDMI issues most likely.
    maybe u need 2 dr hdmi devices.. lol.

try and unplug TV entirely from the AVR.
    is the AVR able to render any audio from the HTPC if u start some music playback.
    use teamviewer or vnc to remote access the htpc in order to playback audio.

hint: look for HDMI audio device under windows control panel => sounds
    if no audio device is present => arghhhh

regards

schloss

August 13, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You need to integrate in to the cable from Receiver to Screen.

didn't make any difference.
    ive posted the issue on the hdfury forum anyway.

i dont get the point of the device then really.....EDIT - turning off the TV manually does NOT work, even though I said it did - I wasn't waiting long enough - after about 5 seconds , turning off the TV manually does indeed kill the audio also. So thats it - if I can't get this device to work, what, I have to leave the TV on permanently?

as it is, the moment windows kills the signal to the tv via the receiver, it kills the signal from the HTPC to the receiver also.
    unless windows is not capable of outputting audio whilst surpressing video, via HDMI?

same thing with the bitstream. If i pause a film thats running DTS HDMA, the bitstream stops, the receiver switches from DTSHD back to MULTICHANNEL. Its proper annoying because it means if I want to resume the film, I have to skip back about 5 seconds, because theres a delay in the audio when the receiver clicks back to the bitstream.

i dont know if Dr HDMI is capable of fixing that or not either.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It will not fix pause issue. Blame bitstreaming and ur avr. Mpar will prob fix this for you.

The reason audio stops when windows turns off the display adapter is BC the display adapter is used for sound. You can not change this behaviour. Blame windows.

It should allow you to physically turn off the TV without the audio stopping.

Last edited:

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe I am Wrong, but for me this was the reason for DR HDMI. Turning of screen without loosing sound. For my Windows 7 DR HDMI is the screen and allways on,so always sound.

HTPC--AVR--DrHDMI--LCD

With this config Windows does not see the screen.

But i swirch off all CEC stuff, in AVR and on screen.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    With dr hdmi afaik - while playing music You can turn off the screen but you can't turn off the screen in windows.

Try it. Set windows to turn off display in 1min. Play music wait 1min, if windows turns off the display then audio will stop.

Last edited:

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. Why should Windows turn off the screen?
    2. For my setup DR HDMI is the screen, which is always on. Result no stop of music.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I found a software "solution" for not having to reboot my HTPC if I leave it on and Windows7 decides to turn my HDMI adapter off that works for NVIDIA cards (I have a GeForce GT 430).

Make sure you have NVIDIA GeForce Experience installed (launching this application in Windows will trigger the card to be initialized)
    Install AutoHotKey and create a script that looks like this:
    Code:
    #::Run, "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe"
    (::Run, "C:\Users\Jörgen\Desktop\kill geforce.bat" <-- This is the path to the geforce.bat file -->
    Return
    Save this script as GeForce.ahk in your autostart folder
    Create a Windows batch file called kill geforce.bat and copy the path to the .ahk script above with this content:
    Code:
    taskkill /F /IM GFExperience.exe
    exit

Now, whenever you press the # key on your remote control, the GeForce Experience will launch and initialize your video card. Pressing * on your remote will then kill the application (I haven't found another way to kill it with AutoHotKey).

Emph

xisque

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    Have you ever tried this app?

AVR Audio Guard
    http://www.marcsapps.co.uk/

AVR AUDIO GUARD sends a silent WASAPI shared-mode audio stream to your receiver, and keeps the stream open so the receiver does not need to switch modes to play other shared-mode streams. It means you don't miss any system or application sounds, and when an exclusive-mode application such as a bitstreaming media player requests access, AVR AUDIO GUARD pauses and lets it take over until it is finished, and then starts the silent stream again.

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

AVR Audio Guard

AVR AUDIO GUARD sends a silent WASAPI shared-mode audio stream to your receiver, and keeps the stream open so the receiver does not need to switch modes to play other shared-mode streams. It means you don't miss any system or application sounds, and when an exclusive-mode application such as a bitstreaming media player requests access, AVR AUDIO GUARD pauses and lets it take over until it is finished, and then starts the silent stream again.
    Interesting, but it has nothing to do with the thread discussion, has it?

xisque

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008

AVR Audio Guard

Interesting, but it has nothing to do with the thread discussion, has it?

It helps preventing lost of hdmi sync.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom