HTPCInfo plugin v1.15.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (4 Viewers)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v0.9.0

Hi tourettes,

thanks for your professional feedback, some statements to your listed issues:

1) Process() method overloading should be done as less as possible (only handle messaging between MP and the plugin there). On every single video frame rendering the Process() is run thru and if there is some code paths that cause few ms delays it could already cause dropped frame(s). We have only 20ms per frame time for the video decoding, running process() code, trying to match the v-sync, rendering the video frame and on top of that OSD etc. So, use as less code that runs in MPMain thread (easy to see if you put logging into every method, MP will log the used thread)

For all realtime tasks (performance counter, temperature alerts, disk checking etc.) I use the BackgroundWorker() function from .NET. Only static tasks, which are needed only at startup, are running in Process() method.

2) All non-critical background processing should be halted when MP is palying a video (g_player should give this info)

That's a good idea. It is possible to implement some triggers to identify, if TV or video is playing. In my opinion, I must give the end user a option to switch on/off this feature, because some users want display HTPCInfo informations inside OSD.

3) All background threads should be running lower priority that the MP itself, this will give smoother GUI animations etc.

Inside the configuration dialog, the end user has the possibility to set refresh periods and priorities. But ok, it is not a problem to set a lower priority by default.

Your suggestions and ideas will be part of the next release, more feedback are very welcome.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v0.9.1

Dear community,
as a result of possible performance problems during video or TV playback I've made some improvements for static and realtime property handling.

Informations for users:
  • inside the configuration tab "Settings" you have the possibility to configure more performance options now
  • to avoid stuttering or dropped frames it is strongly recommended to use the default settings

• Thx to catavolt for beta testing and his helpful trick to analyze performance issues.
  • Thx to tourettes for reporting these issues.

Cheers and thx, Micropolis ;-)

nikos1671

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Greece Greece
Re: HTPCInfo plugin for MediaPortal v0.9.1

Micropolis thanks for the new version,now no stuttering at all,but one questions,is it normal that the plugin use so much cpu power around 18%? only when i am inside the plugin i mean.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany

Hi nikos1671,
what can I say now? CPU power depends on CPU type, RAM size etc. My HTPC reports not more than 10%, if the plugin window is open.
If you feel the CPU power is to high, please use the option "refresh priority" to adjust settings.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

nikos1671

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Greece Greece

i have the ion 330,i abjust the refresh priority and now its better.

Thanks for you answer and keep the good work ;-)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Gave 0.91 a shot. Does not run here. It complains about a missing file:

Code:
    2010-02-04 23:53:30.760400 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Error initializing window:HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo Could not load file or assembly 'TvControl, Version=1.0.4.4037, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. HTPCInfo    at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.InitConnectors()
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.InitPlugin()
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.Init()
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.PluginManager.LoadWindowPlugin(String strFile)
    2010-02-04 23:53:47.903400 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: OnMessage exception:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.UpdateScreen(Int32 screen)
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.SetButtonLabels()
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.InitPluginPage()
       at HTPCInfoPlugin.HTPCInfo.OnPageLoad()
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.OnMessage(GUIMessage message)

Edit: OK, needs some DLLs from TVE... How about adding this to the Installation instructions?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Edit: OK, needs some DLLs from TVE... How about adding this to the Installation instructions?

Actually it would be much better when there wouldn't be a hard dependencies to TVE3 at all. Some users might not have TVE3 installed :)

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey

So that was the reason for my empty HTPCInfo window with an missing file error...
    Hopefully Micropolis would provide a new version without those dependencies soon...

Andrusha777

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Hello! I have MP 1.1.0 with SVN 24669 and latest HTPC Info plugin (0.9.1). It works fine, but i can't make sensors visible in HTPC Info!
    HTPCInfo plugin insatalled as a menu plugin. I have windows XP SP3 Russian. Skin in MP is Blue 3 Wide. All sensors on display in plugin is like #HTPCInfo.SensorTemperature0 and so on. I tried to rename SensorTemperature0 to SensorTemperatureCPU in HTPCInfoOverview.xml file but have no success. SpeedFan is installed and ruuning, it shows correct information. Sensors named in speedfan exactly as in configuration window of this plugin in MP Config. HTPCInfoTool crashes immediately after starting. WMI Adapter is running and it's service enabled. Pressing shift+i on htpcinfo screen causes system info to update.

I also provide MP logs.
    If you provide me some information about what files to edit, i can translate plugin to russian. Or you can send me ready files for russian language but with english words - i can translate it.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi Andrusha777,
    if you define entries inside the sensor configuration dialog, you must also use these "speaking names" in your skin files. One example: If you define "CPU" in the temperature list, you must be rename the property #HTPCInfo.SensorTemperature0 to #HTPCInfo.SensorTemperatureCPU also.
    To do this, please open HTPCInfo skin files, search for all sensor related properties and rename it based on your configuration. Small hint: Rename "+12V" to everything else, I don't know exactly if a property "HTPCInfo.SensorVoltage+12V" can be handled properly.
    If you want to create a russian language file, you can find the english template in this post.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Actually it would be much better when there wouldn't be a hard dependencies to TVE3 at all. Some users might not have TVE3 installed :)

Hi tourettes,
    yes, sure. But at the moment I have coding problems for .NET reflection functions and libraries from MediaPortal. Maybe it's missing knowledge or whatever. It was very helpful, if you can send me a working snippet.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

So that was the reason for my empty HTPCInfo window with an missing file error...
    Hopefully Micropolis would provide a new version without those dependencies soon...

Hi UNOPARATOR,
    I'm wondering, why you don't post your problems in this thread. If you don't do this, we cannot help you.
    In conclusion, I would also like to mention that it looks more motivating, if a user say "thank you" or speak to peoples in this community by name.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom