Hulu Desktop (1 Viewer)

steve760

Portal Pro
March 10, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Why close MP? It can just run in the BG and then you don't have to wait for it to reload.

I am choosing to close MP because with Windows 7 64bit and MediaPortal 1.1.0 when running in background/minimized does not seem to regain focus after Hulu or another program is closed, also my experience with media portal in the past was MediPortal never handled losing focus well, results in video tearing/shuttering. With my system it takes about 5 seconds for MP to load using StreamedMP skin with Moving Pictures also installed and using the normal loading screen and not the alternative, so this reload really does not bother me.

So for those that don't mind the reload of MP, this will be available.

scythe000

Portal Pro
July 6, 2008
Why close MP? It can just run in the BG and then you don't have to wait for it to reload.

I am choosing to close MP because with Windows 7 64bit and MediaPortal 1.1.0 when running in background/minimized does not seem to regain focus after Hulu or another program is closed, also my experience with media portal in the past was MediPortal never handled losing focus well, results in video tearing/shuttering. With my system it takes about 5 seconds for MP to load using StreamedMP skin with Moving Pictures also installed and using the normal loading screen and not the alternative, so this reload really does not bother me.

I see. For me, I have the DB on my NAS. so, even with my gigabit network, it still takes about 20 seconds to load.

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
July 24, 2006
Hulu Desktop and Multishortcut are working pretty well for me. However, I have massive CPU and memory usage while Hulu's playing even a low-quality stream. It's to the point where video in hulu is very framey and laggy, even when I have a full buffer. On closer inspection with task manager, I have 100% CPU usage. The specs of the machine are:

P4 3.2Ghz (with HT I think)
1Gb RAM
60Gb HD
DVD/CDRW
Radeon HD 3400

Is anyone else having issues with incredibly high usage while running MP and Hulu?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bedroom taskmgr.JPG
    bedroom taskmgr.JPG
    60.9 KB

grooves12

Portal Pro
November 1, 2006
Is anyone else having issues with incredibly high usage while running MP and Hulu?

Yes, pretty much everyone is. It is the nature of the beast currently when it comes to Hulu (or any other flash-based video) shown full screen. You can blame Adobe for that.

They are FINALLY working on resolving the problem by allowing GPU acceleration in flash... but it is still in beta, and is not working that well with ATI graphics cards. But, you can try out the lastest 10.1 beta of Flash player and see if it helps.

pennant

Portal Member
November 3, 2009
Home Country

How do you get MP to reload after you exit Hulu?

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country

How do you get MP to reload after you exit Hulu?

you can use a batch file like the one I posted earlier
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/hulu-desktop-60585/index4.html#post487288

I have a fully working solution, what it does is add the button to launch Hulu into your skin, using Multishortcut, then upon launching Hulu it closes MP, upon closing Hulu using the stop button of your remote control MP will be restart. Works great for me, also it looks great in StreamedMP, I also have integration for Monocrome and the two stock blue's. This works on Win 7/Vista 32 and 64, I can modify the Hulu_starter to work with XP as well. I currently use it with 7 64 bit.

Let me know if interested and I will start a thread for it with the download for the package.

Steve

Sounds great, so you have developed a plug in that will make for easy launching of hulu desktop but it still uses multishortcut? I think starting a new thread and naming it something like “hulu desktop launcher” would be a great idea. Please do include support for XP as well as support for those of us with happuague remotes (see my batch linked above)

AVsalsa

Portal Member
    January 16, 2010
    Can someone Help me I'm not sure I understand how to setup Multishortcuts for Hulu.
    Currently I'm running Hulu Desktop from MP with the MyPrograms Plugin but MP always freezes after exiting Hulu.
    I want to get rid of MyPrograms completely and replace it with MultiShortcuts but I'm having trouble setting it up.

I moved the DllFix.exe file to MediaPortal\Plugins\Window directory.
    Copied the file MultiShortcut.dll to MediaPortal\Plugins\Window directory.
    After running the DllFix.exe it says 0 and exits.
    Do I have to edit the Multishortcut.dll file? If so what program do I edit the .dll with?

DreadFury

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Can someone Help me I'm not sure I understand how to setup Multishortcuts for Hulu.
    Currently I'm running Hulu Desktop from MP with the MyPrograms Plugin but MP always freezes after exiting Hulu.
    I want to get rid of MyPrograms completely and replace it with MultiShortcuts but I'm having trouble setting it up.

I moved the DllFix.exe file to MediaPortal\Plugins\Window directory.
    Copied the file MultiShortcut.dll to MediaPortal\Plugins\Window directory.
    After running the DllFix.exe it says 0 and exits.
    Do I have to edit the Multishortcut.dll file? If so what program do I edit the .dll with?

Move your DLLfix and the multishortcut.dll to a separate directory.
    Make a copy of the dll and rename it something like Hulu (whatever you want the selection to be called)

After you have it ready, run the DLL fix and you are done.

Copy the (now 'fixed') Hulu.dll to your mediaportal windows plugin directory.
    You don't need or want the DLLFix.exe in there.

Fire up your media portal config and goto plugins.
    Select the Hulu plugin, enable it and then click config.

Now you will see the shortcut config window.
    Set all fields to the proper values here (its easy and self explanatory).
    Now you should have a working Hulu desktop from Media Portal.

This same process can be used with almost any other program as well.

Good luck!

AVsalsa

Portal Member
    January 16, 2010
    Thanks one quck question.
    I have hulu enabled and configured it but don't see it in media portals home or plugin screen. I opened streamedMP config and also do not see it inthere.
    Any help?
    Thanks again.

DreadFury

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Some skins have their own special options to enable plugins, and since it is a multishortcut plugin, you probably need to manually set it up by choosing an ID number and entering it into your skins config.

Does it show up in the standard Blue3 skins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom