Idea: Port LogoManager into common library and use it inside MP2-Server plugin (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Phew long post - but I hope we get clearer?
    Yes, now I got it and I can say I disagree.
    As we now are working on a service architecture, all processing of raw -> styled logo can be done inside service.
    I disagree here too since it could lead to server high loading.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I disagree here too since it could lead to server high loading.
    I don't understand: processing does only involve few bitmap operations and results should be cached on server as well. So a processing is required once per channel and style. Cache needs to be invalidated after logo got updated.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd still leave the styling / style processing to the client. the server should only provide and maintain the pure (hopefully) transparent pngs. The "LastModifiedDate" is ofc. an automatically set property on the Channel to identify when the logo was last updated.

Edalex : on what do you disagree?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd still leave the styling / style processing to the client. the server should only provide and maintain the pure (hopefully) transparent pngs.
    Also ok for me, was only an idea to shift processing to server.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Edalex : on what do you disagree?
    I think to reduce number of physical logos on the server if channels can have the same logo file they should have it despite they have different programming. Russian NatGeo HD has different programming to yours and I'm sure all NatGeo channels around the globe has different schedule but have identical logos. Guys, storing one hundred natgeo logos on server just because they are in fact different channel is very very strange.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok I am fine with this. But then we must "name" a logo, so when a "manager" on the Portal is doing mappings, can identify them.

And more on: Is everyone fine with the removal of the "Pack" object?

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    the only reason to have packs i explained above with RTL. Forgen about RTL austria - it has not only same program, but also same logo. But RTL in Holland/luxembourg/fFrance/Belgium is completely different channel with different logo. The only thing that is the same is channel name coming from satellite - "RTL". In that case we need additional info about country - and in that case we need even several countries to be there for one channel, e.g. Germany, Austria, Switzerland - for RTL from RTL Germany, and France, Belgium and others - for RTL from RTL Group, Luxembourg.
    So i would suggest not to have country packs, but have possibility to somehow distinguish what channel logo has asked user based on channel name and country code (configured by user). For channels having same logo in different countries (e.g. Discovery, Animal planet, Eurosport etc.) there is no need to define country code at all.

processing does only involve few bitmap operations and results should be cached on server as well.
    one more reason against it - user can define own local designs/modifications, and that would require upload it to the server.

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So as I just did in the Model. Channel has a Language Code. And Client will always Sent the Clients Language when requesting Logos.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Maybe not language but place like we are using System.Globalization.RegionInfo.CurrentRegion.EnglishName in current LogoManager?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom