IMDb+ Scraper (Force English title, Auto-Rename titles to group, and more) v3.1.7 (1 Viewer)

Should this be the default imdb scraper?

• Yes, I do not want to re-import

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No, keep this one seperate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares, I got movies to watch

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: IMDb+ Scraper (Force English title, Auto-Rename titles to group, and more) v3.1.5

I'm not sure if the new film this summer is really a number 6, it's the origin story, but I don't know if it's a remake of an earlier movie or not.

You can find the movie connections link towards the end of the movie details on imdb site, or add '/movieconnections' to the end of the URI.

Example: Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Movie connections

You can see at the bottom that it is infact a "Remake of" the 1972 movie. Since it is a modern remake after the one done in 2001, it is safe to say it belongs in that remake series as 2nd movie and not to the older series. The movieconnections at imdb will most likely be updated later to reflect this after the movie has been released. It is always hard to tell on these "not yet released" movies that are remakes of an existing series.

Have to be careful as well, for example "X-Men: First Class" that will be released later this year; is not the 4th X-Men movie, but a spin-off from the first X-Men. So technically it should be on its own and the default title will at least position it close to the X-Men trilogy. The same goes for the other spin-off, being "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". But I can see the viewpoint of some how based on year of release they would want the Wolverine movie be 4th, and the First Class one to be 5th, so at least they have the option to edit the rename dBase to their own preference then.

Will have to go over all your new suggestions and add them to a new revision as well :cool:

I agree, it would be so good if a hybrid version of this and the current IMDB scraper was packaged by default with Moving Pitcures with some simple options such as the one's in your global options being part of the config menu.

It would not be a good idea for first-time users to have to deal with notepad to configure their settings for this scraper. So please star the following Google Code issue:

Issue 319 - moving-pictures - Ability for configuration options in a scraper script - A movies plugin for the MediaPortal media center application. - Google Project Hosting

This will add the enhancement to MovingPictures where it will be possible to configure these options from within the configuration import tab. At that moment it will hopefully be possible to get this scaper included within the plugin, at least as a RottenTomatoes rating scraper, which is what it originally was meant for. Funny how small things always run out of hand :D

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Re: IMDb+ Scraper (Force English title, Auto-Rename titles to group, and more) v3.1.5

I'm not sure if the new film this summer is really a number 6, it's the origin You can see at the bottom that it is infact a "Remake of" the 1972 movie. Since it is a modern remake after the one done in 2001, it is safe to say it belongs in that remake series as 2nd movie and not to the older series. The movieconnections at imdb will most likely be updated later to reflect this after the movie has been released. It is always hard to tell on these "not yet released" movies that are remakes of an existing series.

Thank you. But should it be (remake) II or (remake) IV?

It's the second movie of the remakes, but it's a remake of the fourth orignal movie.

Planet of the Apes (1968)
    Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
    Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
    Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)

If only Hollywood could name and release their movies in a way that is logical :p

MeMeMe

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2010

To give people more control of this, I have created a small excel file containing a sheet with 3 columns: imdb code, title, and sortby. Fill those in or modify them, and then when you save, it creates a file named "Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper.xml" in the same folder.

This means, whenever you change this list, you can just add new films to the bottom of this list, sort it by the sortBy column, and save, and you'll get a new copy of the needed xml file.

For it to work, you need to have a copy of microsoft excel, and enable macros.
    The code is not protected so someone could easily copy it to similar programs (after laughing at my spaghetti code).

The included data is a modified version of RoChess's list - but with most of the names renamed to match imdb, and the sortby column populated with names and numbers to ensure proper sorting. But anyone who doesn't like these can replace with RoChess data or their own.

Edit: also included an "Rename dBase IMDb+ Scraper.xml" file made from that data.

Attachments

• Rename dBase XML Maker.zip
      39.5 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Thank you. But should it be (remake) II or (remake) IV?
    It's the second movie of the remakes, but it's a remake of the fourth orignal movie.

You can put it anyway you want of course, for me it becomes a matter of the decades between them, the difference in filming methods has changed severly. That does not mean I don't like classics, infact they have done an awesome job at remastering some of the original 35mm film from the golden age, but it is also very easy to see the difference between a CGI laden 2000+ version and a 1970 movie with props (I do prefer the original Star Wars movies over their remakes though, maybe because I prefer Han shooting first :cool:).

But as a $100m+ budget film for this new 2011 version, it fits more closer to the 2001 version that had simelair big budget and modern CGI. The fact that they picked the 4th script from the original series to remake as sequel to the 2001 version has more to do I guess with what the market of today expects. I'm sure that script allows for more action for example then the original sequel.

Put it in other words, a new user adding the 2011 movie to their collection sometime into the future, might be interested in the 2001 version to go along with it, but might not care for the classics. The (Remake) part will indicate to them that it is available if they do have an interest, but odds are a lot of users don't have many of the older movies.

However I will go with the majority vote on this of course, it is easy for me to use a custom version myself as well :D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Rename dBase file updated to v0.7, now containing 506 entries.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Here are a few more renames:

PHP:
    	<rename id="tt0103919" title="Candyman I" />
    	<rename id="tt0112625" title="Candyman II: Farewell to the Flesh" />
    	<rename id="tt0165662" title="Candyman III: Day of the Dead" />

<rename id="tt0078446" title="Cheech &amp; Chong I: Up in Smoke" />
    	<rename id="tt0080520" title="Cheech &amp; Chong II: Next Movie" />
    	<rename id="tt0082163" title="Cheech &amp; Chong III: Nice Dreams" />
    	<rename id="tt0084788" title="Cheech &amp; Chong IV: Things Are Tough All Over" />
    	<rename id="tt0086366" title="Cheech &amp; Chong V: Still Smokin" />
    	<rename id="tt0087042" title="Cheech &amp; Chong VI: The Corsican Brothers" />
    	<rename id="tt0089199" title="Cheech &amp; Chong VII: Get Out of My Room" />

<rename id="tt0092796" title="Creepshow II" />

<rename id="tt0097527" title="House III: The Horror Show" />

<rename id="tt0107387" title="Leprechaun I" />
    	<rename id="tt0110329" title="Leprechaun II" />
    	<rename id="tt0113636" title="Leprechaun III" />
    	<rename id="tt0116861" title="Leprechaun IV: In Space" />
    	<rename id="tt0209095" title="Leprechaun V: In the Hood"  />
    	<rename id="tt0339294" title="Leprechaun VI: Back 2 tha Hood" />

<rename id="tt1132620" title="Millennium I: The Girl with the Dragon Tatto" />
    	<rename id="tt1216487" title="Millennium II: The Girl Who Played with Fire" />
    	<rename id="tt1343097" title="Millennium III: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" />

<rename id="tt0089907" title="Return of the Living Dead I" />
    	<rename id="tt0095990" title="Return of the Living Dead II" />
    	<rename id="tt0107953" title="Return of the Living Dead III" /> 
    	<rename id="tt0411805" title="Return of the Living Dead IV: Necropolis" /> 
    	<rename id="tt0411806" title="Return of the Living Dead V: Rave to the Grave" />

<rename id="tt0070047" title="The Exorcist I" />
    	<rename id="tt0076009" title="The Exorcist II: The Heretic" />
    	<rename id="tt0099528" title="The Exorcist III" />
    	<rename id="tt0204313" title="The Exorcist IV: The Beginning" />
    	<rename id="tt0449086" title="The Exorcist V: Dominion - Prequel to the Exorcist" />

<rename id="tt0098622" title="Warlock I" />
    	<rename id="tt0108517" title="Warlock II: The Armageddon" />
    	<rename id="tt0157171" title="Warlock III: The End of Innocence" />

<rename id="tt0120524" title="Wishmaster I" />
    	<rename id="tt0156182" title="Wishmaster II: Evil Never Dies" />
    	<rename id="tt0254871" title="Wishmaster III: Beyond the Gates of Hell" />
    	<rename id="tt0254872" title="Wishmaster IV: The Prophecy Fulfilled" />

<rename id="tt0090327" title="Witchboard I" />
    	<rename id="tt0108577" title="Witchboard II: The Devil's Doorway" />
    	<rename id="tt0114957" title="Witchboard III: The Possession" />

Once I renamed my whole DB, I'll probably find more additions...

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

And a few more series I added to my rename file...

When I browsed IMDB's "in development" section, we are now entering the age of "the remake of the remake that will be remade in 3D". Man, I want more spec-scripts greenlit. And please go away with this 3D gimmick. Story is king, ever was, ever will...

PHP:
    	<rename id="tt0087727" title="Missing in Action I" />
    	<rename id="tt0089604" title="Missing in Action II: The Beginning" />
    	<rename id="tt0094792" title="Missing in Action III: Braddock" />
    	<rename id="tt1392201" title="Missing in Action (Remake) I" />

<rename id="tt0094862" title="Child's Play I" />
    	<rename id="tt0099253" title="Child's Play II" />
    	<rename id="tt0103956" title="Child's Play III" />
    	<rename id="tt0144120" title="Child's Play III: Bride of Chucky" />
    	<rename id="tt0387575" title="Child's Play IV: Seed of Chucky" />
    	<rename id="tt1134807" title="Child's Play (Remake) I" />

<rename id="tt0058135" title="Le gendarme I: ...de Saint-Tropez" />
    	<rename id="tt0060450" title="Le gendarme II: ...a New York" />
    	<rename id="tt0063005" title="Le gendarme III: ...se marie" />
    	<rename id="tt0065769" title="Le gendarme IV: ...en balade" />
    	<rename id="tt0079200" title="Le gendarme V: ...et les extra-terrestres" />
    	<rename id="tt0083996" title="Le gendarme VI: ...et les gendarmettes" />

<rename id="tt0102926" title="Hannibal I: The Silence of the Lambs" />
    	<rename id="tt0212985" title="Hannibal II: Hannibal" />
    	<rename id="tt0289765" title="Hannibal III: Red Dragon" />
    	<rename id="tt0367959" title="Hannibal IV: Hannibal Rising" />

<rename id="tt0212338" title="The Fockers I: Meet the Parents" />
    	<rename id="tt0290002" title="The Fockers II: Meet the Fockers" />
    	<rename id="tt0970866" title="The Fockers III: Little Fockers" />

<rename id="tt0095705" title="The Naked Gun I: From the Files of Police Squad!" />
    	<rename id="tt0102510" title="The Naked Gun II: 2 1/2 - The Smell of Fear" />
    	<rename id="tt0110622" title="The Naked Gun III: 3 1/3 - The Final Insult" />

<rename id="tt0126029" title="Shrek I" />
    	<rename id="tt0298148" title="Shrek II" />
    	<rename id="tt0413267" title="Shrek III: The Third" />
    	<rename id="tt0892791" title="Shrek IV: Forever After" />

<rename id="tt0072271" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre I" />
    	<rename id="tt0092076" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre II" />
    	<rename id="tt0099994" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre III: Leatherface" />
    	<rename id="tt0110978" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre IV: The Return of..." />
    	<rename id="tt0324216" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre V: (Remake) I" />
    	<rename id="tt0420294" title="The Texas Chainsam Massacre VI: The Beginning" />

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

When I browsed IMDB's "in development" section, we are now entering the age of "the remake of the remake that will be remade in 3D". Man, I want more spec-scripts greenlit. And please go away with this 3D gimmick. Story is king, ever was, ever will...

I agree things are getting bad, but you also have to realize the summer blockbuster sequel crap makes it possible for more risky movies to get made. The crap finances the art so to speak.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I agree things are getting bad, but you also have to realize the summer blockbuster sequel crap makes it possible for more risky movies to get made. The crap finances the art so to speak.
    Sure in the end it's just a business like any other. I could talk about this forever. Time to make my own movie. :D

But back on topic: I tried to update the 1500 movies I have in Moving Pictures. MP Config crashes after processing about 1/4 of it. Reproducible every time. Not sure of the exact number. I tried selecting smaller and smaller packages until it ran through. Haven't tried with the original scraper as it takes a long time to go through several hundred movies. Might be an issue of MovingPictures Config itself. My best guess a memory leak or an out of bounds issue on an array.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

It's more of a problem with scaling than a memory leak. The importer currently caches in memory retrieved HTML to speed things along. Usually this is not a problem, but the IMDb+ script pulls significantly more HTML data than most other scripts. There is no work around for this at the moment besides importing in smaller batches (sorry!) but this will be fixed in the next release which should show up very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom