IMDb+ Scraper (Force English title, Auto-Rename titles to group, and more) v3.1.7 (1 Viewer)

Should this be the default imdb scraper?

• Yes, I do not want to re-import

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No, keep this one seperate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares, I got movies to watch

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

DMember 49125

Re: IMDb+ Scraper (short/long summary, imdb/RT score, US/UK rating, and more)

IMDb does translate the title into Greece (lol, I hope it is Greece).

What my script sees on your HTML code is:

Main Title = Oi epomenes treis meres
Original Title = The Next Three Days
Also known as = Les trois prochains jours

if you set in your browser English as default language then you get:
Main Title = The Next Three Days

PS: This one: "Oi epomenes treis meres" is the translation in Greek written with english characters!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

So far the only real oddity I have noticed is that some movies just don't appear to be getting the correct rating for some reason. Two specific examples I have found so far are:

Big Fan Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
    Private Parts Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Seems RottenTomatoes has some problems.

IMDb ID on "Salt (2010)" = tt0944835 = Lookup for that movie at RottenTomatoes = WORKS (as it should)

IMDb ID on "Big Fan (2009)" = tt1228953 = Lookup for that movie at RottenTomatoes = FAIL

IMDb ID on "Private Parts (2009)" = tt0119951 = Lookup for that movie at RottenTomatoes = WRONG MOVIE

So it looks like in "Big Fan" case, your old rating scores were re-used, or something else went wrong. As for "Private Parts (2009)", the fault for that lies with RT, and they need to correct their database to match it up with the right movie. The same goes for "Big Fan", they need to add '1228953' as the IMDb ID for that movie.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

if you set in your browser English as default language then you get:
    Main Title = The Next Three Days

PS: This one: "Oi epomenes treis meres" is the translation in Greek written with english characters!

Yes, I had a big suspecion that IMDb uses the browsers language identifier to decide when to translate a title. I'll try to see if I can fool imdb.com into thinking I'm from Greece. If I'm able to do that, then the reverse will be possible as well.

D

DMember 49125

If you change this:

<set name="site" value="http://www.imdb.com/title/${movie.site_id}" />
    and this (?:US|GB|CA|AU|NZ|NO)

with this:

<set name="site" value="http://akas.imdb.com/title/${movie.site_id}" />
    and this (?:US|GB|CA|AU|NZ|NO|GR)

it is perfectly working here in Greece.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

If you change this:

<set name="site" value="http://www.imdb.com/title/${movie.site_id}" />
    and this (?:US|GB|CA|AU|NZ|NO)

with this:

<set name="site" value="http://akas.imdb.com/title/${movie.site_id}" />
    and this (?:US|GB|CA|AU|NZ|NO|GR)

it is perfectly working here in Greece.

That's the problem, then it works for you, but then it breaks something else for other users :mad:

Do you have MSN/Live, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo instant messaging, or perhaps IRC? Debugging this issue properly is going to take a lot of back and forth Q&A, and this forum system is just not very easy on that. PM me your IM details otherwise, or pop onto freenode, #moving-pictures.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Ok, I rewrote the entire system of finding the English title for a movie. Went from 538 lines to 613, just to fix English title.

A big benefit now is that translation of foreign movies works as well. So any English movie will always show English title, but a foreign movie, such as "Zwartboek (2006)" can be shown as either 'Zwartboek' or 'Black Book' depending on the global_options_original_title.

It is a major change in code, so I'm sure I messed up somewhere.

If that is the case, then please let me know :D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

After verifying a few more test files myself, I realized there is a difference on a few movies versus American-English and British-English.

Example "Harry Potter I"

British-English = Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    American-English = Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Now I can add an extra option to select between those two, or use the already present setting for UK ratings.

So if there are any users who want the American-English title while using UK ratings, or want the British-English title with US ratings, then please let me know. Otherwise I'm going to go ahead and make it happen that when UK ratings are enabled that the British-English title is used.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Ok, made the most sense to use the UK-ratings to enable British-English titles, so v3.0.6 is available.

Next thing to do will be to improve the speed of the script. Mastyman tested an import of 55 movies and it took him 8min versus 4.5min on default imdb.com scraper. A little of that is caused of course by the additional query to RottenTomatoes to obtain the RT score, but a lot of delay got added by this new English-title code.

Then again the pros outweight the cons for me right now, as I got an extensive Asian library.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Just tested a couple of my movies, one is True Grit, and other is Red Cliff.

True Grit was earlier imported with what I believe is Italian (Cent dollars pour un shérif)? But is now imported as True Grit.

Red Cliff is orginially a chinese title (Chi Bi) and is imported as Red Cliff, so both of those work the way I want them atleast. Thank you for fixing this :)

Gonna do a complete reimport now.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland

This is fantastic!

My MP system is down at the moment due to a couple of hardware failures (relying on SkyHD and a PS3 for DVD/BluRay right now). I'll definitely be using this when I get everything working again though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom