initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (2 Viewers)

ajp8164

Portal Pro
January 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Do you have a SPDIF connection with DD enabled on your receiver/STB? If so, thats probably why...

I'm not using an SPDIF connection at all. Does it matter that the Directv might have DD enabled (even with no SPDIF in use)?

How much memory is dedicated to your video card? Usually built in cards only have 128 or 256 memory, which is barely enough to run the graphics with video playing.

I have 256 allocated to video. Will increasing this help with interaction using the remote while video is playing? I'll give it a try. What's the minimum that you recommend?

Not sure what may be the cause of this.
You said earlier that you built the SVN 27564 on VS 2010? Maybe you had some issues with the conversion?

Seems to be a general problem. Same thing happens when watching recorded shows. What's your experience? How long does it take to reposition the video after you press the remote button?

Thanks for input and help!
:D

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Hey ajp8164,
    My best guess would be to wait for mm135200 to commit his code and pull the latest SVN and try it then...

As far as the video card is concerned, I have found that 512mb or more dedicated video memory works best.

As far as the skip forward/reverse, my is almost instentaneous on my server and my Zotac Mag/ZBox clients.

Wile E.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well I decided yesterday to try the new 1.2 with mm's patch. I figured I had 30 minutes so why not do it.
    Well it's never 30 minutes. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Database upgrade issues with MP. Then 4TR couldn't upgrade it's database, had to re-setup and sync with TVServer. Of course MP didn't want to do upgrade install, so all my plugins are gone... :(
    I swear sometimes I wonder why we bother :)

Anyways, I broke down today and bought a Colossus so I'll be able to help with testing. (I had to wait for 4 VMs to boot, that's all the time I needed :p)
    Give me until April for me do have a bit more free time. hopefully by then we'll have a patch file to apply to SVN.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Well I decided yesterday to try the new 1.2 with mm's patch. I figured I had 30 minutes so why not do it.
    Well it's never 30 minutes. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Database upgrade issues with MP. Then 4TR couldn't upgrade it's database, had to re-setup and sync with TVServer. Of course MP didn't want to do upgrade install, so all my plugins are gone... :(
    I swear sometimes I wonder why we bother :)

Anyways, I broke down today and bought a Colossus so I'll be able to help with testing. (I had to wait for 4 VMs to boot, that's all the time I needed :p)
    Give me until April for me do have a bit more free time. hopefully by then we'll have a patch file to apply to SVN.

Ouch, ouch and ouch :( Three strikes... Tell your wife it will be well worth it in the end! :)

I had the same issues with SQL Server upgrade, so I am running My SQL with the SVN. I dont use 4TR, so that was not an issue for me.

I do a Windows 7 full system backup before I even attempt to change/upgrade/modify anything. That way I can easily roll it back when Im done. The system restore takes less than 5 minutes.

My plan is to have the Colossus code ready when 1.2 Beta is released, then we wont have to worry about patches. I can do full builds and post them (I doubt very seriously it will be peer reviewed and commited by the time 1.2 beta is released.)

Hang in there...
    Wile E.

ajp8164

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Home Country
    Guys -

Hopefully this goes without saying... if there is anything I can do to help with testing or coding or committing changes for HDPVR please let me know (PM me). I would like to get more involved in understanding how the video stream in Tv server works so that I can help improve or fix in the future. I'll likely need some mentoring along the way.

Thanks,

elconejito

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Home Country
    Ditto what Andy said above. Except for any knowledge of how TV streaming works, lol. But I'm good tester, a freelance web dev, and general tinkerer of hardware (all my boxes are custom and most OC'd). Most importantly, my colossus arrived yesterday and I'll try to install it today/tonight :)

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    Cool...

I hate to keep pounding mm1352000 (I know he is EXTREMELY busy), but as soon as I can either get a copy of his HD-PVR (fixed) code or when he commits to the SVN, I can incorporate my changes for the Colossus and have a test version.

Andy,
    Have you worked much on the MP Client code? We still have one issue with jittering (which you witnessed first hand) when DD is enabled. Maybe when we get all the backend code finished and commited you might take a look at that?

I hope we will soon have a good version to test :)

Wile E.

ajp8164

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Home Country
    WileECoyote - I have done quite a bit of development with MP core (mostly skin engine and plugin related). I have no experience dealing with video streams :-( I don't know what kinds of problems lead to jittering and such. I assume that the a/v stream is simply attached to the hardware via the graph, dunno... I'd love to learn more about it. Nothing a good bit of code tracing, debugging, and googleing can't handle, right?!

odysseus

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2006
    Newtonville,Massachusetts
    Home Country
    I just wanted to quickly come in and say thanks to all of you working on support for the Colossus. I will be making a new PC from scratch sometime this summer, and HDTV, a new thing in my household, is a big part of it for me. I was concerned that there might be nothing for this card in MP when I decided to do my build a couple months ago, but I see with all of the efforts here I should be alright. Thanks a ton!!!

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom