[solved] Initital testing with second client - cannot play recorded TV (1 Viewer)

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
While I await some replacement RAM for NUC-based MP client, I have been doing some initial testing with my Windows 8.1 tablet. Its far from ideal, but usable with a keyboard attached.

Everything works apart from playing recorded TV. Live TV is pixellated and choppy, but I am putting that down to my WiFi connection. Images, audio and ripped DVDs play 100% fine. But when I try to play recorded TV from my server, it either does not play at all, or plays for a few seconds and then stops.

Log files attached.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-09-28-13.18.05.zip
    130.8 KB
Last edited:

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
I have raised a bug report on this in the proper section as I can now reproduce it on a "proper" 2nd client with a wired ethernet connection.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, this is most likely not a “bug” because in that case it wouldn’t work for anybody. ;) Would be better to keep the discussion here until a bug status is confirmed.

I’ll look at your logs.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

did you put in the network credentials in your tablet's MP2 client settings? Settings -> Media Sources -> Network Credentials (may not be accurate as my MP2 GUI is in German language).

Cheers

Blue Max

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Well, this is most likely not a “bug” because in that case it wouldn’t work for anybody.

Point taken :) I should probably also point out that when I was testing using my table I was using 2.1.3. Today's test with the "bedroom" client was using 2.2

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    did you put in the network credentials in your tablet's MP2 client settings? Settings -> Media Sources -> Network Credentials

Hi,

No I haven't but you shouldn't need a username and password to access my network. All my media apart from recorded TV is stored on a NAS, and both clients can access that without problems. Recorded TV is stored on a dedicated 1TB drive on my server machine.

Does the folder I am using to store recorded TV on my server machine need setting up as a share manually? I had assumed that MP would take care of this.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your tablet is working with Windows 8.1 "CoreEdition". Is the Windows MediaPlayer part of this edition (see here)?

All my media apart from recorded TV is stored on a NAS, and both clients can access that without problems.
    That doesn't mean that MediaPortal has the privilege to do so. Your own NAS access is working under your user account while MediaPortal is accessing the server under a system account. However, since you are only experiencing trouble with ts files, it is more likely a firewall problem with the RTSP streams. Switch off the firewalls on both client and server to test this hypothesis.

By the way: your logs are dated Sep 28. Is this in error?

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Your tablet is working with Windows 8.1 "CoreEdition". Is the Windows MediaPlayer part of this edition (see here)?

Yes, it has WMP 12 installed.

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about the tablet as I was only using it to test the concept of having a second client. It is the NUC-based client I am more concerned about as it was specifically built for this purpose.

I will test the firewall shortly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom